Quantcast

I dropped my chain today, please help

Eggzoi

Monkey
Jan 6, 2006
Australia
OK, so I dropped my chain today, was in a reasonably rocky section and pedalling a fair bit.
What made this a strange chain drop was I'm running the E-13 SRS on a Sunday, none of the guys at the store had seen it before. The chain seems to have gotten squeezed between the bashguard and the top bit of plastic then ripped through when I pedaled. The gap is really damn small, and I have no idea how it managed to flex enough to get through, that's some hard plastics there.
My question therefore is, has anyone else had this happen before or is my guide set up incorrectly? I've been running the guide for a fair while now, and never had a problem with it before, and I run it down that track a hell of a lot. Was this just a freak occurance?

art vandelay

Chimp
Aug 28, 2004
Golden, CO
I had it happen once. Had to take the crank off to get the chain back on. I'm still not sure how it flexd so much becaus the gap between the top guide and bash was about 1mm.

Eggzoi

Monkey
Jan 6, 2006
Australia
Same here, I had to Flintstone it back to the LBS and get them to do it. Although it did still work kinda, just not very well, in a race run you could have still given it a go though.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Eggzoi said:
OK, so I dropped my chain today, was in a reasonably rocky section and pedalling a fair bit.
What made this a strange chain drop was I'm running the E-13 SRS on a Sunday, none of the guys at the store had seen it before. The chain seems to have gotten squeezed between the bashguard and the top bit of plastic then ripped through when I pedaled. The gap is really damn small, and I have no idea how it managed to flex enough to get through, that's some hard plastics there.
My question therefore is, has anyone else had this happen before or is my guide set up incorrectly? I've been running the guide for a fair while now, and never had a problem with it before, and I run it down that track a hell of a lot. Was this just a freak occurance?
You should check to make sure that your guide is set up properly. If you send an e-mail to support@e13components.com, they guys will help you.

I can tell you for certain that all of the SRS guides that came on 2005 Sundays were set up improperly by the factory. Actually, most chainguides that come set up from assembly factories are set up wrong. Sad but true. I ALWAYS rebuild my entire setup before I ride a new bike.

Anyways, you should have a 1mm gap between the bashguard and top slider. Also, your top slider shoudl be 3mm from the chain, and if its a 2005 SRS, the bolt on the top slider should be in the top bolt hole. Also, like any chainguide, mrp, e13, whatever, you want to run a chainring with minimal "step". A single speed salsa ring, or an e13 guide ring or similar is ideal for most chainguide brands optimal setup. I have seen this happen one time. The cause was that the non- drive side crank on a 2-piece crank was not tightened down all the way and the entire crank slid outwards by about 3mm. You should check that too. Another thing to look at is if you have a severly bent ring.

The SRS instructions for the 2005 guide are available here: http://www.e13components.com/docs/05/05_SRS_Instructions.pdf

The 2006 guide instructions are here, but they come fully assembled, and not many people have then yet, so I am guessing its not an 06. http://www.e13components.com/docs/2006_SRS_instructions.pdf

Hope this helps, and like I said, get in touch with e13 support at support@e13components.com Usually we can get to support questiona lot faster through e-mail than on forums. I haven't been to this forum in 3 days.

Hope this helps!

Dave

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
Only time that's ever happened to me is when I first got it[the guide]. I rushed to put the guide on my bike and forgot to put 3 small washers to space the backplate out to the correct position. After I checked the setup again, I have never dropped a chain.