Quantcast

I fought Karpiel and Karpiel won.....Northstar Trip Pics...

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
So i went to northstar this past weekend for three days of riding(turned out to be 1 day and 2 days of crutching around).....we rode livewire a few times (awesome trail) and then wandered over to the other side to do some runs and stumbled upon the waterfall on the Karpiel trail......i rolled down most of it, and when i went to roll off of the little rock ledge at the bottom, my front wheel landed on a rock on the other side and i flipped over and smashed my head shoulder and knee on the rocks....my knee got it the worst.....something sharp went through my useless(as always) kneepad and sliced my knee open, and bruised the hell out of my kneecap.....

i went to the hospital in truckee (which was stellar) and got it cleaned up

the next day i decided to be a hero and went motocrutch drifting down the mountain and got some pics of my friends and some randoms.....

we camped out that night at northstar

then packed up

and headed to mammoth

i couldn't believe how barren the mountain was

but the trails looked super fast and skittery

we then headed back to san diego and saw a rad sunset along the 395

cheers!

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Nice Ian, thats going to make a sweet scar. I've got a good one from a gash just like that..

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Damn, I didn't get nearly as cut up this weekend.

I hope they gave you some antibiotics!

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Aw bad timing....I'm gonna try to get up there on the second weekend of Sept....i'll give you a heads up if I can make it.....any kneepad recommendations?
After I did mine last year I got a pair of THE kneepads from Toby. The protection is awesome, they are super comfortable and they haven't slipped at all, ever.

My knee is still pretty sensitive, it took a solid 6 months to really heal up.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Aw bad timing....I'm gonna try to get up there on the second weekend of Sept....i'll give you a heads up if I can make it.....any kneepad recommendations?
If you like a pad that will stay up and won't get too hot, I'd recommend these:

Rockgardn LZMX

The production models look slightly different than the pic here...The part above the knee cup is a fishnet pattern and that strap goes around your thigh...it works very well in keeping the pad in place. I've done laps all day at Whistler and never had a slippage issue...not once. The open back really helps with not overheating. Pedal slips would be the only issue because it's not a full coverage pad, but they're awesome protectors for what they're designed for.

Edit: Oh yeah, btw.....ow!

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
After I did mine last year I got a pair of THE kneepads from Toby. The protection is awesome, they are super comfortable and they haven't slipped at all, ever.

My knee is still pretty sensitive, it took a solid 6 months to really heal up.
.....damn dude! 6 months....did you bruise your patella pretty badly?....I think that's the source of my pain/swelling i'll have to check out those the pads......my biggest problem is having them slip....they don't seem to move while I'm actually riding, but just when I'm crashing....

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Fox Launch Knee/Shin.....much more protection and more mobility than those 661 Straits....

Good to see you riding IC. :nerd:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Yeah man let me know.

Honestly, anything with a hard plastic shell will help....but some are way better than others. I've used the tld combat pads for years because they have a non-elastic calf strap that literally keeps them stuck when stuff your knee into something. The new ones don't, so I wouldn't reccomend them without sewing that strap on yourself (which is what I did)

Everyone talks about pads staying in place when what they mean is 'staying in place while you ride'. Who gives a sh1t...... Pads should stay in place when you FALL so that you don't end up tearing up your leg AFTER the first impact when your knee pad sticks and slides down as your knee continues forward. I've got some roach DH pads that are so hot and sticky, I can knee slide on them. Unless you feel like doing some sewing, that's what I'd reccomend.

I'll never understand the little 3 elastic strap standard that most knee/shin guards use.......it's one degree from useless.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
.....damn dude! 6 months....did you bruise your patella pretty badly?....I think that's the source of my pain/swelling i'll have to check out those the pads......my biggest problem is having them slip....they don't seem to move while I'm actually riding, but just when I'm crashing....
Yeah it was bruised a bit but not too bad. Mostly the skin just doesn't grow back so well in such a mobile spot so I kept ripping the scab/ soft skin off all the time. Any time I hit it on something it would get jacked up. Now I just have a huge pink scar on my knee that seems to become the conversation piece for my neighbors at least once a week...

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Yowza, that is one nasty gash. Love the lift ticket on the crutch, nice touch.

I've had great experience with the Roach/Race Face Pads. The DH pads are hotter but stay in place better. If you get the FR version, consider wearing lycra knee warmers under them - doing so really helps them stay in place while most of your leg stays open and ventilated.

BTW, another nice thing about hard plastic armor is that it slides rather than grabs, so the pads are less likely to be pulled out of place when you crash.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
That's f'ing gross, dude. Way to sack up and ride after it, though.

On the subject of pads, I've been running the knee only versions of those Rockgardn pads and they're the best thing I've come across. They don't move, are more comfy and flexible than just about anything and have proven durable and cool enough.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
Damn I wish my stiche job looked like that when my knew busted open! Now I have this lame "V" scar right under my knee that doesnt even show the stich marks that well. boo.

zspecial

Chimp
Jul 2, 2004
Looks like a fun place to ride, but where are all the rocks? Isn't that place meant to be a downhill?

Having never ridden outside of Australia I have no idea what to expect over there but that track looked better groomed than a BMX track for 5 year olds......

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I hate to say it but I was using the 661 Kyle strait pads.....I think I'm gonna have to get back on some kind of hard shelled articulating pad.....
Those stupid things have no place on DH trails. They have been the rage around here, along with the TLD ones that Hill wears. I just wear knee pads as well, however I wear the Tomcats that have a hard shell.

:crazy:

seth505

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
CA
damn that is nasty, I did that but right below my kneecap at snowshoe few years ago and as they were stitching me the guy tells me about a kid who died the year before from a staph infection on a tear like that...awesome

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Looks like a fun place to ride, but where are all the rocks? Isn't that place meant to be a downhill?

Having never ridden outside of Australia I have no idea what to expect over there but that track looked better groomed than a BMX track for 5 year olds......
In all fairness, you are correct. Livewire which is where all those pics were taken is in fact a groomed bmx track for 5 year olds. It's funny in that it's the ONLY trail even remotely like that at northstar. It IS groomed and irrigated daily. Every other trail at northstar is rocky as hell with some sections of trail being literally nothing BUT rocks.

It's just entertaining to hear you say that because up until this year, that's all there was to ride there........rim banging, derailleur snapping, swingarm shattering rocks. Pics of livewire in no way whatsoever portray what the rest of the mountain looks like.

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
damn that is nasty, I did that but right below my kneecap at snowshoe few years ago and as they were stitching me the guy tells me about a kid who died the year before from a staph infection on a tear like that...awesome
yeah some kid died from a staph infection at west virginia in a gash on his back a few years back.....i heard about that....nasty stuff....the problem is doctors not properly irrigating the wounds and cleaning them enough before they stitch you up.....:bonk:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
yeah some kid died from a staph infection at west virginia in a gash on his back a few years back.....i heard about that....nasty stuff....the problem is doctors not properly irrigating the wounds and cleaning them enough before they stitch you up.....:bonk:
Yep, his name was Jack and he was a junior x ripper, and one of the nicest guys around. I think his problem stemmed from the fact that he kept reopening the injury over and over and it never healed.
As a teen, I think he went a while before doing anything about it once it was infected and then it was too late. If you get treatment right away, its normally no big deal.