Quantcast

I found this while digging

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
on the Champery track towards the bottom.

It was a couple feet under the surface near the digger in this photo.

The digger driver said it was empty and safe to pick up but I didn't trust him enough to take it home. I find lots of things in the forest while digging but this is my first rocket.

Anyways, here are a couple more shots from the building. The spectator access will be sick for the race, not like last time.

A couple days in the snow sucked

This is much better weather for digging

mini walking digger

The big one

The track is much sicker than 2007. There are a bunch of 10-12 meter senders that get things charging real quick. Should be an awesome race and I can't wait to see those guys attacking such a sick track.

Finally an off topic photo but I was stoked none the less. My brother is on the left and I am on the right. These are the stickers on some of the models from Unity Snowboards. (It is snowing right now so I am starting to change gears into winter mode.)

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Jeez, mortar round?

Keep up the good work, walking diggers rule!
I think so, there is a big military base inside the mountain just behind the big peaks in the nice weather photo. I know they practice by lobbing them over the mountains but it should have landed a couple kilometers farther up the valley. I was surprised to find it that close to town.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Ben, everytime I see You diggin' in PdS I wanna come back there, again :) Champery may not be my league but I may always try to... walk it with the bike in my hand :D

ilikecake

Chimp
Oct 31, 2009
No way Ben! Hope you managed to keep it as a souvenir. I found a live 1000lb WWII bomb in Houffalize 2 years ago - Police evacuated the whole town and Army blew it up!

Champery looking good dude!

Any POW yet?

Attachments

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Thanks guys. I would put up more but I haven't had much time lately. My Iphone didn't like digging in the rain so I only have photos from the first part of the project.

On another note, I have been testing lots of extreme head angles and bb heights on the track and I really like a 62° and 63° head angle for this track. It seems crazy but it works so well on the steep stuff. I will have to put up a photo some other time because now I don't have one of the new setup.

No way Ben! Hope you managed to keep it as a souvenir. I found a live 1000lb WWII bomb in Houffalize 2 years ago - Police evacuated the whole town and Army blew it up!

Champery looking good dude!

Any POW yet?
Wow, I was kinda wondering about stuff like that. I know nothing about guns, bombs and rockets so I figured I would ask a friend who is in the mortar side of the military before I bring it home. I hid it in a tree stump until I get my buddy to have a look.

The track is so fun to ride now. I have another couple of jumps to build up to but overall I think it's rad! There are a couple more catch berms and you can carry way more speed now.

We are having a water problem in the same place that you and I had in 2007 on the 4X. We solved the problem and I am curious if people will like it. There are 7 big jumps in a row (10 - 13 meters) where the 4X track used to be. It is like a SX but for DH bikes.

There was lots of snow but the freezing level just went up and now the rain is melting what was starting to look like a sweet base. Talking about snow, here is a pic I took of a friend at the end of last season.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
It's all in the planning phase. I just need to stop being bothered with non biking skills (bofore I'll need an extra pair of wheels on my dh bike ;) ) and I'm there.

Mudstud

Chimp
Nov 7, 2009
Winterthur, Switzerland
@ buckoW

Great to see you guys are working hard on both the trail and the access for spectators. The latter was pretty adventurous in 2007, to say the least - well, old man Ernst Schurter made it up the hill to the steep zig-zag-part even with a broken foot, but then again that's Ernst.

Looking forward to see the course in action at the Worldcup.

And, oh yeah: Any highresolution images of the course building available? Would be nice for MB Rider Mag's Swiss news that are due in two weeks, ya know.

Thumbs up for the work done and best wishes for everything that still needs to be done.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Is that Lorens? Yeah, my brother took a bunch of high res pics through out the process. I will get him to send them to you. Can you pm me your email address?

I am hoping no one has a bad taste in their mouths about spectator access and they come watch and find a nice surprise of steps all over the side of the track. It is so much easier to get around on foot now.

Mudstud

Chimp
Nov 7, 2009
Winterthur, Switzerland
Is that Lorens? Yeah, my brother took a bunch of high res pics through out the process. I will get him to send them to you. Can you pm me your email address?

I am hoping no one has a bad taste in their mouths about spectator access and they come watch and find a nice surprise of steps all over the side of the track. It is so much easier to get around on foot now.
Well, I'll make sure to communicate the fact that spectator's access has been improved a lot compaired to 2007 on the channels I deliver content for.

And yes, I'll send you my mail adress by PM in a few minutes.

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
Outstanding work...that mini walking digger looks really interesting. Would be really useful around here.

Glad you didn't get blown up.

-C-

Monkey
May 27, 2007
Looks interesting, how does it compare to the old track? Just as steep? Any reason why you decided to build a new one for this year rather than stick with the 2007 track?

We rode the old track again this year & found it harder than when we originally rode it late 2007! Loads more polished roots had come out making the top section before the fire road pretty hardcore.

Met your brother in the Telecabin as well, he gave us some pointers to some awesome trails, the one under the main lift starting by the house with the red roof was brilliant. Almost untouched :)

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
so does that thing have to mechanically walk all the way to that point on the mountain? Or is there a "brain" that when you move forward, the articulating arms just crawl like a spider and self-level the cockpit? Seriously...how do you even get robodigger to that point on the mountain?

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Looks interesting, how does it compare to the old track? Just as steep? Any reason why you decided to build a new one for this year rather than stick with the 2007 track?

We rode the old track again this year & found it harder than when we originally rode it late 2007! Loads more polished roots had come out making the top section before the fire road pretty hardcore.

Met your brother in the Telecabin as well, he gave us some pointers to some awesome trails, the one under the main lift starting by the house with the red roof was brilliant. Almost untouched :)
No roots were harmed in the rebuild. That is just loose dirt from the digger making it's way down the trail. The roots will come back out in no time. It is still the same track but with more jumps and outside lines to carry more speed and flow but the inside ones are still there. Claudio Calouri was the head shaper this time as well as the first time.

To bizutch

The driver has a lot of buttons and pedals to make it "walk" and a very good driver is needed to take it down such a steep spot. We had to take the little one which doesn't have telescoping legs down the steep and tight top section so as to not cut any trees. We had to cable it in a couple of times. They are very cool machines and perfect for trails but very dangerous to drive.

Last edited:

caballero

Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
good ol' europe
looks great ... i hope i can be there again, although theres no 4x this time ... maybe i can plan my PDS trip for that week.

stairs for the crowd are a nice feature but climbing was also good fun the last time ...

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Thanks guys. I will try and share the Iphone shots more often. I haven't shown many good photos because there is a potential article or two coming out and I don't want to spoil it. Also, the shots are not mine so that is why I only post up crappy Iphone pics.

It is hard to tell how steep it really is but you can get an idea for how the digger "walks." With the bucket the driver lifts up the front two feet and slowly bends the elbow on the arm of the bucket letting the wheels roll forward. Then he puts the feet back down into the ground and puts the bucket out in front again to repeat the process.

The drivers usually like to pull the dirt towards them and then they move down the trail. You have to get creative as a shaper to not have too many hard angles building with the machinist's pulling technique.

They don't like to, but it is better to get the driver in the center of the radius of a corner and use the length of the arm to make a nice round shape with an even radius. You can see how the grass is disturbed on the left where the machine went down. It is harded for the driver but better for the rider and the shape.

Sometimes it is impossible to get the digger on the inside of the corner because climbing back up the mountain really leaves a mess where going down the damage is easily fixed. I just get him to leave me a bit of loose dirt to smooth out the hard angles and make a nice berm. You can see that here.

I had never seen one of these machines before I moved here and I can't understand how people build trails without them. They are so perfect for trails and make everything a done deal in a small amount of time. Some spots where I work are only by hand so it makes me appreciate these machines even more. Menzi Muck, ftw.

Mudstud

Chimp
Nov 7, 2009
Winterthur, Switzerland
Found another nice video of the MenziMuck (the Swiss original) on YouTube:

Enjoy:

Digger's ballet, kind of...

Filmed at the factory, so this is probably a seasoned team rider at the controls.

Last edited:

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS
You sir are a lucky man. That is one hell of a gig you've got! I can only hope that when I finish school I'll be able to land a job even half as cool as yours.