Quantcast

I got Crampons..

Gridds

Monkey
Dec 18, 2008
Great Britain
..Recently.

Took them out for the first time the other weekend sessioning my brothers secret track which is a really tight, twisty, loamy run in the depths of Devon strewn with big granite rocks. Before I got these I was smacking my previous pedals (Easton Flatboys) several times a run on this course so I figured it would be an ideal testing ground. With these I had just one pedal strike all day!
This did give me a pin casualty though:

but it was very easy to replace as they screw all the way through and come with loads of spares!

They feel awesome! Really notice the super thin feel. People call these convex pedals but with the way I have my pins they actually feel concave. I use 5.10 shoes. I cannot feel the spindle. You can put another 4 pins in nearer the spindle if you want a flatter feel. Grip is just as good as with the Flatboys yet I found it much easier to place my foot in the right place and also easier to move around if my foot wasn't initially placed correctly. This is probably down to the outer bearing bulge. Although you can just feel it it's not a bad thing, it gives you a kind of fulcrum to move or place your feet and gives a really good feel for the pedal.

The platform is nice and big. Massive actually - the pin footprint is even bigger than the Flatboys. Really nice. There is just the right amount of friction in the seals/bearings to stop them spinning freely so they always seem to be in the right place when getting your foot back on.
Here are some more pics:

They're amazing! I really really like them. They feel sturdy, light, grip perfectly, nice and low and give noticeably better ground clearance and pedalling. I rate them highly and reccommend them to anyone wanting something like this!

For those that care about weight i measured them on my (highly accurate and calibrated) work digi scales and they weighed in at, with pins, 378.78g for the pair.

May 27, 2009
probably better to put my comment on this thread...

so my only concern is that the axle is really venerable on the canfields it looks like you either already hit (or almost hit) the axle on a rock. That doesn't seem very safe if you put a gash in the axle. if it starts to rust and/or fatigue at that spot then the axle could fail. Ultimately that's why i went with the podium pedals. the body covers the pedal enough to protect it. and its still at thin as the bulges on the canfields, actually maybe thinner because the canfields have really long pins compared to the podiums.

actually, just out of curiosity what the over all length of the pins?

love the new thin pedal options nowadays!

Gridds

Monkey
Dec 18, 2008
Great Britain
probably better to put my comment on this thread...

so my only concern is that the axle is really venerable on the canfields it looks like you either already hit (or almost hit) the axle on a rock. That doesn't seem very safe if you put a gash in the axle. if it starts to rust and/or fatigue at that spot then the axle could fail. Ultimately that's why i went with the podium pedals. the body covers the pedal enough to protect it. and its still at thin as the bulges on the canfields, actually maybe thinner because the canfields have really long pins compared to the podiums.

actually, just out of curiosity what the over all length of the pins?

love the new thin pedal options nowadays!
If you break an axle then you're doing bloody well!

I'm really not worried about breaking the axle. If I did, I'd replace it. No bother, no biggie.

The way these pedals feel and ride is a big enough sell.

Overall pin length is 16mm or 18mm. When screwed through the 6mm thick body they stick out 5mm or 6mm from each side. There are also shorter ones provided but I'm not using them at this time. I do consider the pins expendable items. If it becomes a real problem that I keep losing them I might go to the bother of tapping a 4mm thread through the holes and having thicker pins. Right now though I'm happy as a pig in sh!t with these babies.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
They do feel pretty good and extremely stable so far as well.
Good write up, I weighed mine! (always weigh stuff it justifies buying the scale! :D)
Im putting on some muddy marys today to take it to the foot hills and ride tomorrow, lots of big rocks, drops, steeps and mud so it ought to prove to be a good ride as well as how they grip in the SH!T. BAsed on above pics and tires hes already ran them in the muck! LOL Ahhh winter!

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
If it becomes a real problem that I keep losing them I might go to the bother of tapping a 4mm thread through the holes and having thicker pins. Right now though I'm happy as a pig in sh!t with these babies.
DOnt know that I would more pin girth equals alot more leverage incase of pin strike risking the platforms structure. As with any pin the thinner it is it will break easier and they impaile the shoe so its like your clipped in LOL or stuck...

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
i liked mine for the first XC ride. my follow up DH ride on the rocky side of town left me feeling a bit unsure, but to be fair, it was my first DH ride after a long season off recovering from an injury. i also failed to follow the directions to put the super long pins around the axle spindle. i will try them as instructed and hope for improvement... not to say that i wasn't happy with my initial uses, because i do like these.

Gridds

Monkey
Dec 18, 2008
Great Britain
DOnt know that I would more pin girth equals alot more leverage incase of pin strike risking the platforms structure. As with any pin the thinner it is it will break easier and they impaile the shoe so its like your clipped in LOL or stuck...
Agreed. I doubt I'll need to go thicker pins. Replacing bust ones is too easy and yes - they do grip like a cat on carpet.

Oh and yeah it was a pretty muddy ride. Britain usually has lots of mud in winter, though right now just about everywhere is under about a foot of snow!! Quite unusual actually...

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
is that scale shot really showing one pedal for 383g??? :eek:

and honestly maybe it's just me but these pedals are the first product from chris and lance (except the 29" frame) that i dont like at first sight.

but i just ordered one of the stems! :thumb:

Gridds

Monkey
Dec 18, 2008
Great Britain
is that scale shot really showing one pedal for 383g??? :eek:

and honestly maybe it's just me but these pedals are the first product from chris and lance (except the 29" frame) that i dont like at first sight.

but i just ordered one of the stems! :thumb:
That's both pedals. The pair. You can see the other axle thread. His pair are 4 grams lighter than mine...

I think they look sweet.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
i liked mine for the first XC ride. my follow up DH ride on the rocky side of town left me feeling a bit unsure, but to be fair, it was my first DH ride after a long season off recovering from an injury. i also failed to follow the directions to put the super long pins around the axle spindle. i will try them as instructed and hope for improvement... not to say that i wasn't happy with my initial uses, because i do like these.
Agread but then again I stuck longer pins in my twenty6's to get a real solid feel, these are no diffierent as far as the initial pin out but feel better as far as pedalling and rolling the feet.
Ill try and post some pics if I can find someone to ride with me in the crap tomorrow if not then its just a muddy shot! :mad:
Ace hardware is a great place for different size pins Im going 2 longer near shaft and the rears are getting a little longer ones for foot slip. Not that Ive had that yet but with mud/snow tomorrow ill know for sure.

Sorry about your injury there A, no idea what happened but atleast your on a bike again!
Hey Adam (not you) that works for MTBR just moved south of claremont he'll be racing the series as well as looking for people to ride with.
You should give him a shout! Atomicadam on mtbr and I beleive on here as well.

does any one know what the story is regarding the pedals on the canfieldbrothers.com site having a gold axle
and these ones above having a steel colored axle

just a little misleading displaying gold when they aren't actually available

YoPawn

Chimp
Aug 13, 2009
..Recently.

Took them out for the first time the other weekend sessioning my brothers secret track which is a really tight, twisty, loamy run in the depths of Devon strewn with big granite rocks. Before I got these I was smacking my previous pedals (Easton Flatboys) several times a run on this course so I figured it would be an ideal testing ground. With these I had just one pedal strike all day!
This did give me a pin casualty though:

but it was very easy to replace as they screw all the way through and come with loads of spares!

They feel awesome! Really notice the super thin feel. People call these convex pedals but with the way I have my pins they actually feel concave. I use 5.10 shoes. I cannot feel the spindle. You can put another 4 pins in nearer the spindle if you want a flatter feel. Grip is just as good as with the Flatboys yet I found it much easier to place my foot in the right place and also easier to move around if my foot wasn't initially placed correctly. This is probably down to the outer bearing bulge. Although you can just feel it it's not a bad thing, it gives you a kind of fulcrum to move or place your feet and gives a really good feel for the pedal.

The platform is nice and big. Massive actually - the pin footprint is even bigger than the Flatboys. Really nice. There is just the right amount of friction in the seals/bearings to stop them spinning freely so they always seem to be in the right place when getting your foot back on.
Here are some more pics:

They're amazing! I really really like them. They feel sturdy, light, grip perfectly, nice and low and give noticeably better ground clearance and pedalling. I rate them highly and reccommend them to anyone wanting something like this!

For those that care about weight i measured them on my (highly accurate and calibrated) work digi scales and they weighed in at, with pins, 378.78g for the pair.
You should run pins on the inside holes! More grip, better feel, help protect the axle, etc.

I've been on mine since ~September riding in the PNW Seattle area. These things are solid! I no longer get ANY pedal strikes. I did at first, but I was really trying to make them hit to see what they would do.

Feel wise, there isn't a single pedal out there other than the flypaper pedal that is as thin. Point 1 is not in the same league as the width makes the most difference at the ends of the pedal and not in the center.

If my set makes it through this winter without any maintenance then I am sold! I might even dump my nearly new Wah Wahs into the trash. Not even close to as good as the Crampons. :D

Another note. It's funny how much hate these things get from e-dorks who have never ridden one. I have yet to experience any one of the fears people have about them. People keep saying they love them for those who actually own them. How much more proof do you need that these are great pedals worth the money?

Last edited:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Best pedals I've ever ridden. They're a bit slippery in the wet, but no different from any other pedals. I have a set of syncros mental mags that moved to my dirt jumper, which are about the stickiest pedals I've ever encountered. These are not as sticky, but my foot slips around alot less and I'm further from ever slipping a pedal then I was. Basically they're utterly outstanding in the dry, and still better then everything else that I've ever ridden in the wet, but not so mind blowing.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
The ones on the site are ti nitride coated and were the prototypes, I LOL I had the same conversation with e friend tonight on that exact thought! :D

I want a gold axle but the production ones are silver either way Im still happy they work great and Im looking forward to running them tomorrow in 30 degree weather, mud, ice and snow on the rocks and chutes. If im going to slip its going to be there and its going to fricking hurt LOL theres nothing to safely land on!

First ride in 6 months since I broke my back and Im flipping shaking with excitement to take the new bike out and beat on it...... :thumb:

The ones on the site are ti nitride coated and were the prototypes, I LOL I had the same conversation with e friend tonight on that exact thought! :D

I want a gold axle but the production ones are silver either way Im still happy they work great and Im looking forward to running them tomorrow in 30 degree weather, mud, ice and snow on the rocks and chutes. If im going to slip its going to be there and its going to fricking hurt LOL theres nothing to safely land on!

First ride in 6 months since I broke my back and Im flipping shaking with excitement to take the new bike out and beat on it...... :thumb:
the pedals are fantastic, I've been riding them for a few weeks and very impressed, they may want to remove the gold axle image off their site as not to confuse the matter

enjoy your time back on the bike :thumb:

daway

Chimp
Apr 15, 2004
Seattle
If my set makes it through this winter without any maintenance then I am sold! I might even dump my nearly new Wah Wahs into the trash. Not even close to as good as the Crampons. :D
?
Before you dump those Wah Wahs in the trash, I'd be willing to take them off of your hands since I'm in the PNW too ;).

But really, keep us updated in how they fair in the wet and muddy riding conditions up here! I'm looking to get something a bit thinner/bigger than my MG-1's.

Gridds

Monkey
Dec 18, 2008
Great Britain
You should run pins on the inside holes! More grip, better feel, help protect the axle, etc.
It's personal preferance. To run pins in the middle by the axle would keep your feet off the axle (if that's a problem?) but would in effect increase the overall thickness of the pedal at this location. I like that without them there you're as close to the axle as possible. Putting the longer pins in the middle would also give the convex feel but I like the concave. I've got the longest pins on the outside corners of the platform. Grip is not a problem and I was riding in proper muddy conditions! They are super stable and there is no chance of rolling your feet off.

They're amazing!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I dig them. I'd probably run some small pins in the forward holes, just like bullcrew did.

I don't think the axle should be much of a concern. It looks really stout (thick) and it run all the way to the end of the pedal body, which should provide for a more direct and sturdy junction. My atomics run to the center of the cage, and end with a very small threaded "bolt". I haven't had a problem, but a lot of people have in the past. I would think the canfield design eliminates any risk there. Not a big fan of having two more "dirt ports" ie exposures on the axle, but I trust they did it right.

Let's see how they are in six months! report back...

Csquared

Chimp
Feb 22, 2006
Utah
I dig them. I'd probably run some small pins in the forward holes, just like bullcrew did.

I don't think the axle should be much of a concern. It looks really stout (thick) and it run all the way to the end of the pedal body, which should provide for a more direct and sturdy junction. My atomics run to the center of the cage, and end with a very small threaded "bolt". I haven't had a problem, but a lot of people have in the past. I would think the canfield design eliminates any risk there. Not a big fan of having two more "dirt ports" ie exposures on the axle, but I trust they did it right.

Let's see how they are in six months! report back...
Mine are great after a season of riding the production set I have-
We even had a run of 4 or 5 race weekends in a row of mud races- which never happens in the west-
As for the gold axle- I would love to change them over to the silver in the pics on the site- but I don't have high quality pics yet-
Soon--
The reason for the gold was bling- but it was just a surface coating that fell right off when we tested it- so we went back to silver. But had already had them in the photo booth for product shot-
cheers
chris