Quantcast

I got HIT by a truck AGAIN!

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
So 'I' made all the mistakes you can make in the urban jungle. The most sevear is NEVER TRUST THE 4-WHEELED MENACE!!!
the dude was headed north in the right lane of a 2 lane lane. I was 2 FRIGGIN blocks from my apt. I was on the south side side walk (usually dont ride the side walk but the hike and bike ends on it AND i'm 2 friggin blocks from my apt it's the easiest place to be.)
Anyhoo I got the green, like forever. the dude is totally stoped looking strait in front of his little truck no body language saying he's doing anything but going through the intersection. I get a weird feeling because people have been really nice the last 3 hours so i start to cover my brakes...enter the intersection BLAMO! The dude pulls out to make a right turn. No looking right NOR LEFT for that matter. I supermaned on to his hood but caught the side view mirror in the ribs then slid off the hood. He jumped out and was like 'what just happened????' I told him he just tried to kill me and to shut his pie hole. Then he tried to talk again and i told him to be quite for a very very long time.
anyhoo, again, we cleared it up and i headed for a shower. Ribs started hurting only 10 minutes later so i went to the ER. No broken bones but i'm going to be sore sore sore.
The only damage to the bike is a bent brake lever.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I am lucky to have never been hit by a motorist.

You need to file an accident report - cover your ass just in case a kidney pops loose of something...
When ever a motor vehicle hits you. Call the police. Period. You can never inconvenience an idiot enough....

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
I'm guessing if you are on the sidewalk you wouldnt have much cause for filing any claims since you shouldnt ride there anyways. I feel you pain, last year I got hit by a guy and even though luckiy I didnt get hurt at all it definately rattled me for a coulpe of minutes.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I'm guessing if you are on the sidewalk you wouldnt have much cause for filing any claims since you shouldnt ride there anyways. I feel you pain, last year I got hit by a guy and even though luckiy I didnt get hurt at all it definately rattled me for a coulpe of minutes.
Depends on local law and on whether or not he was following traffic law. We had a guy get hit going through a crosswalk at a jogging pace, and even though him being on the sidewalk in the locale was against the law, the dude running the stop sign and not signaling trumped that and the motorist was at fault (though the messenger got a 50$ ticket or something...). No one was injured though, so no ins. claims...

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
yeah a friend of mine got hit on his bike while crossing a cross walk at an intersection and the police said it was both person fault even though he had the light to cross the crosswalk, since it's a state law that bikes must use the road. the only problem with that is, there's only like 2 bike lanes in the entire city and they're on some downtown back roads

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Dammit Tony! Don't go gettin all banged up, we need you healthy for the death marches!!
I KNOW! As i'm lying there, on the concrete, my first thought was NOOO NOT MY NEW TEETH!!! Then it was NOOOOOO THINK OF THE DEATH MARCHES!!!

Anyhoo I'm ‘OK’ I went out for an hour ten a little while ago and although there was pain from my ribs I’m able to ride. NO jumping the bike though that hurts. Oh no sprinting either. I was ok motor pacing.

I know for a fact that there is no riding on sidewalks downtown, I’m not downtown.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
yeah a friend of mine got hit on his bike while crossing a cross walk at an intersection and the police said it was both person fault even though he had the light to cross the crosswalk, since it's a state law that bikes must use the road. the only problem with that is, there's only like 2 bike lanes in the entire city and they're on some downtown back roads
the guy that hit me was coming off of a 'bike route', damn karma.

rubrduk

Chimp
Sep 8, 2001
la canada
i was hit by a car many years ago,...a van stopped for me to cross at a crosswalk and the car passed the van on the shoulder an hit me...he stopped 100 yards away...opened the door and looked back, and then drove off

nothing major, hands torn up and many cuts/brusies on my hands forearms from catching myself on the car...and then on my bmx bike the frame was cracked, fork and front wheel both bent and both brake levers sheared off

i learned to trust cars less

it's good you're okay and the bike is still in good order

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
True dat.

I had a brake lever snap off after a minor mishap (seriously - it must have been a hairline fracture that I never saw).

You might want to consider a new brake lever - if it's aluminum (annit prolly iz) don't try to bend it back in original position.
Yea it's bent good, i'm already looking. speaking of anybody got a nice XT left side brake/shifter they want to get rid of? I have a nice thompson elite 31.6 setback seatpost for sale or trade.
t

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
CITY OF HOUSTON ORDINANCES

Section 45-302

No person shall ride a bicycle upon a sidewalk in the City of Houston within a business district or where prohibited by sign. A business district is defined as "the territory contiguous to and including a roadway when, within 600 feet along such roadway, there are buildings in use for business or industrial purpose which occupy 300 feet collectively on both sides of the roadway". Also, bicyclists are required to yield to pedestrians and give an audible signal to pedestrians when riding on approved sidewalks. (In general, bicyclists are permitted to ride on sidewalks unless prohibited by local ordinances, although experienced cyclists usually agree that it is much safer to ride on the street and follow the laws as they apply to any other vehicle.)

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I got run off the road down a gravel embankment by a city bus once... I was on my MTB so no harm done, just a little scary.

The other time I had an encounter was with a cab. I was cruising along pretty good (maybe 25mph...down a slight grade) and got passed by a cab, I peeked over my left shoulder to check if anyone was coming, just for a second. When I looked forward again, I discovered the cab that had just passed me had slammed on the brakes. I did too, but couldn't stop fast enough. Lotsa front brake + my wheel hitting his bumper = over the bars. I managed the jump over the bars, while keeping my right hand on the handlebar, landed on my feet, swung the bike back straight, hopped back on and kept going.

I became a ninja that day.