Quantcast

i got pulled over again !!

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Interesting. NY is harsh on young out of state drivers. (Though seeing as we share a border w/ NJ, this is probably appropriate.) IF you're actually from NY, it works like this: (this applies to upstate. It's more complecated in NYC)

-At 16, you take a written test to get your learner's permit. You can only drive with someone over the age of 21 in the passenger's seat.
-Once you've got at least 20hrs behind the wheel, you can take your road test.
-If you pass within 6 months of getting your permit, you can only drive to work, school, or a doctor's appointment.
-After 6 months, you can drive wherever between 5am and 9pm. You can only have 2 passengers.
-Once you're 18, you get your full lisence, and can do whatever you want. This is lowered to 17 if you take driver's ed.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
in nj, you can get a permit at 16 after passing a written test. at 17 you can get a provisional license. i should be okay driving in ny when i go riding because a good part of the time i shoot when i ride. could always tell the cop i am driving to a job and im a freelance photographer.

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
You cant dive in NY period

Learner Permits and Junior Licenses From Another State

NYS restricts driving privileges if:

you are under the age of 18 and have an out-of-state driver license, or
you are any age and you have an out-of-state learner permit.
I do not see any exceptions for employment here?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I was shocked to hear that 38 million american drivers would fail the driving test if they took it today.

Shocked, as in, I'm surprised that number is so low.

Driving tests need to be more difficult.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
in nj, you can get a permit at 16 after passing a written test. at 17 you can get a provisional license. i should be okay driving in ny when i go riding because a good part of the time i shoot when i ride. could always tell the cop i am driving to a job and im a freelance photographer.
How 'bout you stop worrying about how to get around the law ad just stop being pulled over for driving like a dumbass.

I got my LP at 14, 8mos and drove like an idiot for years. Still do arguably, but if you're not an actual idiot you can avoid getting pulled over. I've still only gotten one speeding ticket (+10 years ago) and I've cut my BOS->NYC time to 3hrs, 10 mins...

Never bothered to get radar detector, etc either. Just don't go rolling through stop signs when the cop is parked right there, geez. :poster_oops:

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
it was dark too. and only one street light a little bit down the road. i live in the country not many lights at night. still no excuse. no more running stops for me.

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
Sweet, this just reminded me. When I got my Liscense last January my dad made a deal with me offering $500 if I don't get a ticket or cause an accident in a year. Good incentive... Especially since I have to pay for my own insurance. Now that's just $500 more I have to put towards racing. :)

dan wask

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2006
B-More Maryland
She bought it from a family friend. It's really nice. Suspension, chipped, wheels, exhaust (doesn't sound like a fart cannon) hard top, tranny ect.
She traded our minivan plus some cash for it.

Pretty zippy little ride. Pics later
As gay as the reputation those cars have is, they drive like freakin go carts. They're fantastic.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
No, you'd still be screwed because

1. In order for the employment thing to fly, you need a note from your employer.
2. As someone else noted, there is no exception for employment. You have to wait until you're 18 to legally drive in NY.

As a side note, I think the best vanity plate I've ever seen was on a Myata. A horribly obese guy was driving, and his plates read "IJUSTFIT" :rofl:

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
agreed!!...they are some of the best handling cars ever created in their price range....D
I thought they were all fwd, but I was wrong. She loves it, they took it down to Santa Cruz today, she says it handles like a dream, but it is loud as crap.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
I thought they were all fwd, but I was wrong. She loves it, they took it down to Santa Cruz today, she says it handles like a dream, but it is loud as crap.
it's just a simple exhaust fix...any muffler shop could fix the fart can noise for about 100 bucks depending on the parts you need...D

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
The exhaust is fine she said the road noise is what is annoying. Plus it's raining right now so there's more noise than normal.

She doesn't mind too much, it's her fun car.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I do not see any exceptions for employment here?
Exactly

No, you'd still be screwed because

1. In order for the employment thing to fly, you need a note from your employer.
2. As someone else noted, there is no exception for employment. You have to wait until you're 18 to legally drive:
took the words right our of my mouth, As far as NY state is concerned, you should be taking a bus. You will also notice how many times in attaached articles it reads That the driver is responsible to know the laws.... That means Ignorange doesnt get you out of a ticket.

Overall, just stop driving like a jackass, and you will stop getting tickets. That means no rally racing on old mostly abandoned roads, no rolling through stop signs ETC..... Get over it, you got lucky

TomBo

Monkey
Jan 13, 2004
Calgary,Alberta
"You start this life with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck." - Sounds like your screwed psp.