Quantcast

I got the standard "Two Weeks" from Santa Cruz...

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Ciaran said:
I really like the direction you are taking with your bike, Burley. I am really interisted to see it when it's done and hear about how she rides.
Yeah, just feel like its really all getting out of hand. You practically BUY skill now when you buy a bike. Its retarded. All the downtime Ive had couldve been avoided had I a simpler bike.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Ciaran said:
I really like the direction you are taking with your bike, Burley. I am really interisted to see it when it's done and hear about how she rides.
I realized something when I was riding Deer Creek last evening........

I enjoy riding at the ragged edge of control. On my NRS in gnarly, rocky terrain that is about 15mph.

With more suspension I'm fairly certain the ragged edge would result in an increase in speed. Probably dramatically so.

The way I figure it, it's *much* safer for me to stick with the short travel bike. That way if I take a digger whilst traversing that ragged edge it'll "only" be at about 15mph. Instead of 30.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
SkaredShtles said:
I realized something when I was riding Deer Creek last evening........

I enjoy riding at the ragged edge of control. On my NRS in gnarly, rocky terrain that is about 15mph.

With more suspension I'm fairly certain the ragged edge would result in an increase in speed. Probably dramatically so.

The way I figure it, it's *much* safer for me to stick with the short travel bike. That way if I take a digger whilst traversing that ragged edge it'll "only" be at about 15mph. Instead of 30.
I hear what you're saying but some people used to say the same thing about a rigid bike v. XC FS like your NRS.

Don't be afraid of the squish. You'll have more control and less fatigue. Go faster if you want, or go about the same and have a lot less diggers. I love my chameleon but for FS, right now the only limit is figuring out how much extra weight I am willing to haul up the climbs. I am digging my heckler but if I could get more travel with similar durability for the same weight I would.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
OGRipper said:
I hear what you're saying but some people used to say the same thing about a rigid bike v. XC FS like your NRS.

Don't be afraid of the squish. You'll have more control and less fatigue. Go faster if you want, or go about the same and have a lot less diggers.
Diggers? I only take diggers when I'm standing around. :D
I love my chameleon but for FS, right now the only limit is figuring out how much extra weight I am willing to haul up the climbs. I am digging my heckler but if I could get more travel with similar durability for the same weight I would.
Sadly, the bottom line is I can't afford a bike. I have to live with what I have until I break it. :( :D