Quantcast

i got this bike for 90 bucks, what you think?

ausher

Chimp
Jun 16, 2007
Hi, i bought a mountain bike from a pawn store for 90 bucks. I've been wanting to get one for a while because i could use a lil exercise and there are trails all over my neighborhood. i used to be into bmx and freestyle bikes in my youth. the bike is a mongoose wing elite pro. i dunno what year it is or if its a good or bad bike. i know the mongoose name has gone downhill after the 80's, but from the research I've been doing for the past few years, it seems this really isn't a bad bike compared to some of the "higher quality" name bikes. i had to fix a flat on the rear tire and the derailleurs need adjusting, but its all in working order. so did i get ripped off or is 90 good for it? how much did one of these cost new? I'd like to find info on this bike or reviews. thanks

ausher

Chimp
Jun 16, 2007
is it worth the $$ to upgrade? i need to get new derailures anyway, and i need new cassettes so i figure get a chain and crankset too. id like to upgrade to hydralic disk brakes. and new shock and fork.

the frame seems to be a pretty standard FS MTN bike frame design, but good and works.
so is it worth putting $$ into? im thinking between 500-1000 bucks. i don't want to buy another bike.

what some good parts relativly inexpensive?

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
If you're looking to sink $500-1000 into this, before you spend a dime, I'd suggest you go to your local bike shop (Not a big box store with a bike dept.) and have a good look at what $500-1000 will get you new instead. You might be pleasantly surprised at what you can get within that budget.

ausher

Chimp
Jun 16, 2007
well its not like i can sink that much $$ into a bike all at once or i would have bought a new one. i figure replace whats needed piece by piece, but keep it as cheap as possible and still have a good reliable bike. i have been checking out what bikes i can get in that price range and what ive found at my LBS is pretty much the same bike as this mongoose with the same equipped parts.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
is it worth the $$ to upgrade? i need to get new derailures anyway, and i need new cassettes so i figure get a chain and crankset too. id like to upgrade to hydralic disk brakes. and new shock and fork.

the frame seems to be a pretty standard FS MTN bike frame design, but good and works.
so is it worth putting $$ into? im thinking between 500-1000 bucks. i don't want to buy another bike.

what some good parts relativly inexpensive?
No. Save your money and ride this bike until it falls apart. With experience comes knowledge - by the time you've put a few thousand miles on this bike you'll learn a lot a bout what you do and don't like.

No one on this board can give you advice that will be meaningful because they do not know what your expectations are.

My gut feeling is that no would put any additional $$$ into upgrading that frame - frames truly are not created equal. It may look similar in design to a higher end frame but looks seldom equal performance.

The frame is the heart of the bike - without a sound frame upgrades are pointless. The reason you hear so many guys talking about upgrading is they put all their bucks into the frame and had to skimp on the build kit.

I'll do a quick search for your mongoose frame.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Mongoose Wing Pro Trail Series - All New 4-Bar Link Full Aluminum Suspension Frame - 3.5" Travel Manitou Six Sport Fork w/ Reverse Arch Design, Coil Spring/MCU/ w/ Preload Adjustment, 100mm Travel, RST Coil Over Shock - Shimano Alivio 24-Spd Drivetrain w/ Alivio Shifters, TruVativ 5D Crankset Promax 7.0 Mechanical Disc Brakes - Mavic X-139 Disc Rims w/Formula Disc Hubs, True Technologies Bar/Stem/Post, Hutchinson Chameleon 1.95" Tires - Color : Red/Black

MSRP: $539.00

From what I have read this bike would be considered an entry level, light duty mountain bike of considerable heft. $90.00 was a fair deal.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
Save your cash, ride the piss outta this bike, then get a new one when you realize it's holding you back. I bought a $115 Mongoose XR200 as my first "FS bike", and rode it untill I felt that my skills warranted a new bike.

If you do want to do some upgrading on your current bike, I'd suggest... good quality medium compound tires, pedals, and new brake pads if you have rim brakes. If you don't know how to tune your bike, ask a buddy or visit your local bike shop (LBS). Sometimes a tune is all you need to make an old bike feel good again.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
^^^ I'm with U-Noob...

Tune-up, brake pads (if it's necessary), a couple steps up in the tire department, and some betta pedals.

Save as much as you can for your next bike purchase while you build skills and experience on this bike. Like S-midge said, a couple thousand miles and a bunch of hours will give you a much better picture of what you'll want when it comes time to go with a new steed.