Quantcast

I guess George Bush Jr. is'nt very Machiavellian.

greg447

Monkey
Jul 22, 2005
new hampshire
Well between the bashings in the "My new whip" forum and school i have benn thinking about the Art of War and hoe George Bush has never applied it to his time in the office. "The ends justify the means" is probably something good ol' George should have paid closer attention to. The war wasn’t worth going in for and its has zero pay of thus far. Personally I think George is a neo conservative, wrapping himself in God and using God to justify his actions. He also gives me the impression he believes in divine right, and that’s why he can do whatever he wants, and that whatever he does is the right thing. Bottom line for me is that everything he has done so far is the opposite of what Machiavelli (probably the greatest political mind ever) would have done or suggested.

Does anyone else think that? :rolleyes:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I bet you just saw V for Vendetta...

Tell me more about the difference between The Prince and The Art of War, and how this relates to Bush's political style.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Maybe you are just not seeing the 'means' for which the war is an 'ends' to.

The typical war protester (just using the stereotype to make a point) will never understand the war because they do not think the way the current administration does.

What do I mean? - Pre-war there were protesters who were upset that we were going to go to war for cheap oil. But what actually happened, the price of oil went up - which I think was the real intent of this administrations (think of Cheney's meeting with oil executives).

So - do you know enough about the administrations plans to honestly say that the 'ends doesn't justify the means', or are you just viewing it from what you would expect the 'ends' to be...

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Slugman said:
So - do you know enough about the administrations plans to honestly say that the 'ends doesn't justify the means', or are you just viewing it from what you would expect the 'ends' to be...
In this case the ends don't even justify themselves. If the war were free and not a single soldier died, we're STILL worse off than we started.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
ohio said:
In this case the ends don't even justify themselves. If the war were free and not a single soldier died, we're STILL worse off than we started.
We killed a bunch of brown skinned people. That's got to count for something, no?

Making the world whiter, one cluster bomb at a time...

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
Slugman said:
Maybe you are just not seeing the 'means' for which the war is an 'ends' to.

The typical war protester (just using the stereotype to make a point) will never understand the war because they do not think the way the current administration does.

What do I mean? - Pre-war there were protesters who were upset that we were going to go to war for cheap oil. But what actually happened, the price of oil went up - which I think was the real intent of this administrations (think of Cheney's meeting with oil executives).

This is what i have been trying to get through to my extended family. they see the blood for oil protesters and think that they are idiots because the gas is so high. but i am shunned when i try to show them that we've been duped. exxon has surpassed wal-mart in worth and made the largest profit EVER last year, yet we're supposedly in a gas crisis. bush/cheney are both oil gurus. the plot wasn't for cheap oil, that doesn't earn them money.
i was a major hater of the "war for cheap oil" screamers but now i hate bush myself after i admit to myself that i've been tricked. it's so hard to get through to some traditional neo-cons.....i'm the outsider now :confused:

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
manimal said:
This is what i have been trying to get through to my extended family. they see the blood for oil protesters and think that they are idiots because the gas is so high. but i am shunned when i try to show them that we've been duped. exxon has surpassed wal-mart in worth and made the largest profit EVER last year, yet we're supposedly in a gas crisis. bush/cheney are both oil gurus. the plot wasn't for cheap oil, that doesn't earn them money.
i was a major hater of the "war for cheap oil" screamers but now i hate bush myself after i admit to myself that i've been tricked. it's so hard to get through to some traditional neo-cons.....i'm the outsider now :confused:
In other words, it's worse than we all could have ever possibly imagined.

I think greg is right, in that Machiavelli was very focused on the end, and Bush not so much. While I still believe Machiavelli was a worse human being (from the little I know about him), Bush seems to have missed some major steps in the art of war, making him look like a doofus in charge of nuclear weapons, which I believe makes him more dangerous than Machiavelli could have ever been.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
LMAO! So this is the argument all you "This war is for oil" retards have adopted. An even BIGGER conspiracy :rofl:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Did you know the estimates for total oil reserve is about 30 years? I wonder in 20 years how important it is that we control Iraq's oil.

Not that it justifies the war...

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
sanjuro said:
Did you know the estimates for total oil reserve is about 30 years? I wonder in 20 years how important it is that we control Iraq's oil.

Not that it justifies the war...
SOURCE?
Ive heard it at more than 100 years, recently.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
BurlyShirley said:
LMAO! So this is the argument all you "This war is for oil" retards have adopted. An even BIGGER conspiracy :rofl:

i don't believe this is the reason for the war, just an opportunity on the side; something to put in the "pro" section when they made their Pro/Con list for going to war....but you know as well as i do BS how military planning goes ;)

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
manimal said:
i don't believe this is the reason for the war, just an opportunity on the side; something to put in the "pro" section when they made their Pro/Con list for going to war....but you know as well as i do BS how military planning goes ;)
Im not saying that money wont be made by someone somewhere, but to connect Bush/Cheney to exxon's profits is a bit of a stretch for me. I mean, if people are trying to burn Bush for wiretapping which may or may not be legal, you can bet your ass that they'd be all over him for what you're insinuating.
And how exactly is it that controlling Iraqs oil (which we dont do actually) will be better for us when we still have to PURCHASE it at OPEC's prices? I agree that oil was a major factor in the war, but IMO, it was only to free it from someone who couldnt be trusted with the responsibility of properly controlling it. Not to steal it.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
BurlyShirley said:
Im not saying that money wont be made by someone somewhere, but to connect Bush/Cheney to exxon's profits is a bit of a stretch for me. I mean, if people are trying to burn Bush for wiretapping which may or may not be legal, you can bet your ass that they'd be all over him for what you're insinuating.
And how exactly is it that controlling Iraqs oil (which we dont do actually) will be better for us when we still have to PURCHASE it at OPEC's prices? I agree that oil was a major factor in the war, but IMO, it was only to free it from someone who couldnt be trusted with the responsibility of properly controlling it. Not to steal it.
So Bush was freeing the oil? That might be the funniest thing you've ever said.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
BurlyShirley said:
the point i'm making is that neither side was correct on the oil issues. the greenies said it was for cheap oil, the conservs said it was for democracy. the situation now is pointing toward short term oil profits setting up for possible long term gains. i'm no conspiracy theorist but i would not be thinking critically if i didn't take the many links between the oil industry and the government as more than simple coincidence. only time will tell the truth and our rantings here will mean absolutely nothing to the fortunates of this affair. i just hate being lied to.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
BurlyShirley said:
I agree that oil was a major factor in the war, but IMO, it was only to free it from someone who couldnt be trusted with the responsibility of properly controlling it. Not to steal it.
Or perhaps free it from being sold in Euros and Dollars instead of just Dollars?

You have absolutely no economic/political/world vision at all...please go back to your sheltered corner of Apathyworld.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
hey, a few things.

firstable, the "gas is expensive, thus the war wasnt for cheap oil" argument doesnt hold.
gas could have been more expensive if there hasnt been a war (not that i really think that, but am talking from a logical nitpicking at the argument).

secondable. controlling an oil supplier. whether today (even if you make no inmediate profit), or in 10 years has a value. the availabily of the option "tap it" has a value, even if not used.
just that alone, may justify a war for the hawkish.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
manimal said:
the point i'm making is that neither side was correct on the oil issues. the greenies said it was for cheap oil, the conservs said it was for democracy. the situation now is pointing toward short term oil profits setting up for possible long term gains. i'm no conspiracy theorist but i would not be thinking critically if i didn't take the many links between the oil industry and the government as more than simple coincidence. only time will tell the truth and our rantings here will mean absolutely nothing to the fortunates of this affair. i just hate being lied to.
Do you mean Oil tied to "governmnet" or tied to "Bush-Cheney?" Thats not quite the same thing. If you mean to tell me that the entirety of our govt. is lying, I would find that hard to believe at best. If you mean Bush, I'll go back to what I said about the polarization of the govt. right now. There simply is NO WAY he could get away with anything. No way, no how.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
ALEXIS_DH said:
hey, a few things.

firstable, the "gas is expensive, thus the war wasnt for cheap oil" argument doesnt hold.
gas could have been more expensive if there hasnt been a war (not that i really think that, but am talking from a logical nitpicking at the argument).

secondable. controlling an oil supplier. whether today (even if you make no inmediate profit), or in 10 years has a value. the availabily of the option "tap it" has a value, even if not used.
just that alone, may justify a war for the hawkish.
Fair enough, but I dont think we're going to be controlling much...

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
BurlyShirley said:
Fair enough, but I dont think we're going to be controlling much...
i think you underestimate the powers of the mighty usa.
and for the matter, or lobbyists.

imagine how much the us controls the royal saudi family... now imagine how much they could control someone backed by them from the begining, and for whom (indirectly by setting up democracy.) they openned the road to power.