Quantcast

I had no idea that we'd lost ELEVEN nukes...

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Bomb Hunter: After Years of Searching, Retired Officer Finds Lost Bomb

Sept. 16, 2004 — During the Cold War, the United States lost 11 nuclear bombs in accidents. But one of the bombs may have finally been located, thanks to the work of a retired officer.

The lost hydrogen bomb has been missing since 1958 when a B-47 bomber collided with another plane. The pilot of the other plane bailed out safely before his aircraft crashed. The crew of the B-47 tried landing their slightly damaged plane three times at nearby Hunter Air Force Base in Georgia, but finally jettisoned the bomb into the Atlantic Ocean to avoid the risk of a detonation upon landing.

The bomb was released 7,000 feet into the ocean off the coast of Savannah, Ga. After searching for nine weeks to no avail, the Air Force declared the 7,600-pound bomb "irretrievably lost."

But in 1998, a retired Air Force lieutenant colonel, Derek Duke, made it his mission to find it.

Zeroing In
After stumbling across some old news stories about the bomb, Duke and his partner began collecting information about the incident. He spoke with residents who lived in the area and to members of the team that had searched for the bomb. He also looked up the pilot of the B-47 to try to get more details on where the bomb may have been dropped.

They narrowed their search to the area around Wassaw Sound, which connects the mouth of the Wilmington River to the Atlantic Ocean. Then they began trolling the area in a boat and dragging a Geiger counter behind them. This July, they believe they finally found what they've been looking for.

Duke and his partner zeroed in on a spot off of Tybee Island where radiation readings were suspiciously high. The location was only a mile offshore and in only 12 feet of water. Duke said the radiation levels here were from seven to 10 times higher than normal. Incidentally, he said, the location was "right where the pilot said they dropped it."

"Amazingly, they never looked at this spot," he said Wednesday on ABC News' Good Morning America.

Destructive Potential
If the bomb were armed with a radiation trigger, the 12-foot-long thermonuclear device could explode with a power 100 times greater than the bomb that exploded in Hiroshima, Japan. A 2001 Air Force report further found the bomb, if detonated, could poison the drinking water supply for the entire southeast coast of the United States.

But the Air Force said the bomb was not armed and concluded that it presents no threat.

Duke also doubts the bomb would ever detonate — at least naturally. But he said there has been conflicting testimony about whether or not the bomb is equipped with a radiation trigger.

"I think the possibility it could ever go off is extremely remote," said Duke. "But there's a lot of controversy about the Air Force's statement. They have sworn testimony in Congress and in secret session that it was just the opposite."

Even though it appears the bomb may have been located, it's not clear what should be done. Removing a bomb that has been submerged in a muddy ocean bottom for 46 years presents some challenges.

"You certainly don't want to detonate it," said Duke. "But you try to protect it as you investigate it. We could even build a case around it and pump the water out and make it a dry land recovery."

In 2001 the Air Force concluded it was in the public's best interest to leave the bomb in its resting place. Duke, however, would like to see it removed.

"It just shouldn't be there," he said. "Nuclear weapons have their place in this world, unfortunately, but this one doesn't belong here."

Next week the government plans to send out a team of 15 people to the site to investigate.

http://www.abcnews.go.com/sections/SciTech/GoodMorningAmerica/bomb_hunter_040916-1.html

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Man, imagine if terrorists got their hands on one and let it off in America somewhere. That'd be really scary.

Booker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Louisville, KY
golgiaparatus said:
Yep, good thing GW is working hard to make peace with all those muslim countries.

No worries. I hear Kerry is gonna put on a snorkel, dive down with a back pack, scoop the nuke up and carry it over to the compost bin behind his shed.

John Kerry = Hero :thumb:

J

JRB

Hey asshats - I don't think he was trying to make it a political debate. :mumble:

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
"Duke and his partner zeroed in on a spot off of Tybee Island where radiation readings were suspiciously high. The location was only a mile offshore and in only 12 feet of water. Duke said the radiation levels here were from seven to 10 times higher than normal."

Can you imagine the wave that would hit Tybee Island if that thing went off?

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Just imagine how many nukes a re floating arround what used to be the USSR, under god knows who control at the moment...

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
llkoolkeg said:
"Duke and his partner zeroed in on a spot off of Tybee Island where radiation readings were suspiciously high. The location was only a mile offshore and in only 12 feet of water. Duke said the radiation levels here were from seven to 10 times higher than normal."

Can you imagine the wave that would hit Tybee Island if that thing went off?

a mile away coast?? 12 ft of water???

hmm, its unbelievable it was that close and of relative easy accesss. good thing nobody got it before that guy.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
ALEXIS_DH said:
a mile away coast?? 12 ft of water???

hmm, its unbelievable it was that close and of relative easy accesss. good thing nobody got it before that guy.
Yeah, like a treasure hunter or scuba diver with gold fever.

"What do we have here partially buried in the sand and muck! I wonder if I could pry it open a crowbar from the boat? I can't let anyone know I found pirate treasure or the government archealogical society'll steal it from me!" :rolleyes:

J

JRB

loco-gringo said:
Hey asshats - I don't think he was trying to make it a political debate. :mumble:

I'll say again. Quit making it political or I will call the marshall.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
llkoolkeg said:
Yeah, like a treasure hunter or scuba diver with gold fever.

"What do we have here partially buried in the sand and muck! I wonder if I could pry it open a crowbar from the boat? I can't let anyone know I found pirate treasure or the government archealogical society'll steal it from me!" :rolleyes:
Sounds a lot like that episode of Gilligans island when the bomb washed up on the beach.

J

JRB

Westy said:
Sounds a lot like that episode of Gilligans island when the bomb washed up on the beach.

A lady here read the blurb about Johnny Ramone in the paper while I was getting coffee and said she remembered the Ramones from an episode of Gilligan's Island. It's like 6 degrees of Ridemonkey. Weird.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
loco-gringo said:
A lady here read the blurb about Johnny Ramone in the paper while I was getting coffee and said she remembered the Ramones from an episode of Gilligan's Island. It's like 6 degrees of Ridemonkey. Weird.
Even more weird is that she once screwed El Jefe after getting drunk in a karaoke bar and hearing him sing "Now I Wanna Sniff Some Glue". :D

J

JRB

llkoolkeg said:
Even more weird is that she once screwed El Jefe after getting drunk in a karaoke bar and hearing him sing "Now I Wanna Sniff Some Glue". :D

Did she really??? She doesn't seem like the type.

slowSSer

mnoeky
Aug 14, 2002
Stepford
llkoolkeg said:

lol!!!!!!! sorry, jefe, but this wouldnt shock me. :D:D:D:D

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
October, 5, 1960, Thule, Greenland

An early-warning system radar malfunction falsely warned the North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD) headquarters of a "massive" Soviet ballistic missile strike approaching the United States. A fault in the computer system had removed two zeros from the radar's ranging components, causing the radar to detect what it believed was a possible missile attack at 2,500 miles. The radar was actually detecting a reflection from the moon, located 250,000 miles away.

January 10, 1984, Warren AFB, Cheyenne, Wyoming

Warren Air Force Base in Cheyenne, Wyoming, recorded a message that one of its Minuteman III intercontinental ballistic missiles was about to launch from its silo due to a computer malfunction. To prevent the possible launch, an armored car was parked on top of the silo.

s1ngletrack

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Denver
Wumpus said:
October, 5, 1960, Thule, Greenland

An early-warning system radar malfunction falsely warned the North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD) headquarters of a "massive" Soviet ballistic missile strike approaching the United States. A fault in the computer system had removed two zeros from the radar's ranging components, causing the radar to detect what it believed was a possible missile attack at 2,500 miles. The radar was actually detecting a reflection from the moon, located 250,000 miles away.

January 10, 1984, Warren AFB, Cheyenne, Wyoming

Warren Air Force Base in Cheyenne, Wyoming, recorded a message that one of its Minuteman III intercontinental ballistic missiles was about to launch from its silo due to a computer malfunction. To prevent the possible launch, an armored car was parked on top of the silo.
That is some scary sh1t. - They probably should've just buried the whole of Cheyenne under 20 feet of concrete instead - It'd be a nicer place that way.

JSB

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
Flower Mound, Texas
valve bouncer said:
Man, imagine if terrorists got their hands on one and let it off in America somewhere. That'd be really scary.
Well, now they know where one is sitting. If it's so dangerous to retrieve, why wouldn't they send some death wish happy terrorist in there to do something to cause it to blow/malfunction or something. I say remove it ASAP, before a terrorists decides to surprise us with a stick kick in the :nuts:

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Well, they recently bombed the wrong country, and they failed to intercept the planes that flew into the WTC...

ghettorigged

lawn dart extraordinare
Apr 8, 2002
Killadelphia
HOLY CHIT! I think I finally realized what's wrong with me!!! :eek:

My birthplace: Savannah, GA
Total years living in Savannah: 19
Years living on Wilmington Island (on the river): 11
Years working on Tybee Island as a teen: 3
Level of radiation subjected to??: :confused:

oh, I think I am going to be sick.... :dead:

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
JSB said:
Well, now they know where one is sitting. If it's so dangerous to retrieve, why wouldn't they send some death wish happy terrorist in there to do something to cause it to blow/malfunction or something. I say remove it ASAP, before a terrorists decides to surprise us with a stick kick in the :nuts:
I see my attempts to be a smart-arse fail again. Tom Clancy "Sum of all Fears".....crappy movie with Ben Affleck???? ;) :D