Quantcast

i hate the winter time change!!!

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
4,564
0
SC, CA
werd up. The only semi-cool part is that you can ride in the morning if you are like me and don't work until 10 or 11. We got in some runs the other morning it was pimp.
 

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
17,412
0
SF
amydalayna said:
i do like night rides, but i find that no one else ever wants to go now.
everyone is getting lazy this time of year.
I'll ride with you!

It's funny, I'm psyched because it would be freezing in the North east
 

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
1,507
0
south lake tahoe, ca
sanjuro said:
I'll ride with you!

It's funny, I'm psyched because it would be freezing in the North east
come on out then!
we did chinese dh last week in the dark and it was loads of fun. no snow yet. some at the very top of toad's and at sayles canyon... but that's it.

Remember those cold night rides back at Case mtn? Wouldn't have been worth it if we didn't go back to the shop and get all boozed up afterwards.
 

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
17,412
0
SF
amydalayna said:
come on out then!
we did chinese dh last week in the dark and it was loads of fun. no snow yet. some at the very top of toad's and at sayles canyon... but that's it.

Remember those cold night rides back at Case mtn? Wouldn't have been worth it if we didn't go back to the shop and get all boozed up afterwards.
Winter mtn bike rides are easy. The CVC used to hammer up to Somers and back in February. I remember Buckles doing centuries in the snow.
 

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
17,412
0
SF
amydalayna said:
centuries in the snow sounds miserable. i can think of hundreds of things i would rather do.
like staring at a wall. or cleaning the toilet. or anything.
Then again, snow in Tahoe is a little different than Glastonbury.
 

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
1,507
0
south lake tahoe, ca
MVRIDER said:
The time change bites. But I'm about ready for some snowboarding.
yeah. if it ever snows. it's got this 'it's about to snow' feel today. winds are really picking up and such. we'll see.

hate having to put on the snow tires though.
 

MVRIDER

Monkey
Sep 23, 2003
249
0
Mtn. View, Ca.
amydalayna said:
yeah. if it ever snows. it's got this 'it's about to snow' feel today. winds are really picking up and such. we'll see.

hate having to put on the snow tires though.
Does anyone up there have any speculation on this years winter in terms of snow? Any locals with some "folk-forecasting" yet?
 

kidwoo

Celebrating No-Pants Day
Aug 25, 2003
22,446
2,120
In my pants
MVRIDER said:
Does anyone up there have any speculation on this years winter in terms of snow? Any locals with some "folk-forecasting" yet?
Based on the humidity in my shoelaces, there will be no snow this year. Regardless of snow reports given by ski areas, there will in fact be no reason to come up here this winter. Especially if you drive a fatass 3 ton vehicle with bald tires at 50mph through my neighborhood because you have 4 wheel drive.:D
 

MVRIDER

Monkey
Sep 23, 2003
249
0
Mtn. View, Ca.
kidwoo said:
Based on the humidity in my shoelaces, there will be no snow this year. Regardless of snow reports given by ski areas, there will in fact be no reason to come up here this winter. Especially if you drive a fatass 3 ton vehicle with bald tires at 50mph through my neighborhood because you have 4 wheel drive.:D
LMAO.....But I thought the 4 wheel drive meant that I would stick to any surface at any speed:eek: Why am I in some ditch on the side of hwy 50 right now? I was only doing 45 in a snow storm in dense traffic???:D
 

kidwoo

Celebrating No-Pants Day
Aug 25, 2003
22,446
2,120
In my pants
I love having to slam my truck in reverse to avoid minivans in full spin heading at me. Really I do.

Ahh......can't wait.

MV: where do you usually ride up here?
 

MVRIDER

Monkey
Sep 23, 2003
249
0
Mtn. View, Ca.
kidwoo said:
I love having to slam my truck in reverse to avoid minivans in full spin heading at me. Really I do.

Ahh......can't wait.

MV: where do you usually ride up here?

Basically all over. for the last few years I did the double whammy pass for Sierra and Flat*, up untill last year. I wanted to hit a few different spots so I was up at Squaw, Alpine and Sugar Bowl quite a bit. Kirkwood is definitely a favorite. Cornholio knows some pretty good back country places...castle peak I think, so hopefully we'll go there once or twice this year.

How about you?
 

kidwoo

Celebrating No-Pants Day
Aug 25, 2003
22,446
2,120
In my pants
MVRIDER said:
Basically all over. for the last few years I did the double whammy pass for Sierra and Flat*, up untill last year. I wanted to hit a few different spots so I was up at Squaw, Alpine and Sugar Bowl quite a bit. Kirkwood is definitely a favorite. Cornholio knows some pretty good back country places...castle peak I think, so hopefully we'll go there once or twice this year.

How about you?
I've got a pass at mt rose because it's good on weekends for less than the price of other mountains' midweeks. Most of my skiing is backcountry these days though. If you don't mind hiking, I can show you some stuff. I'm a 9 to 5 guy so weekends are best.
 

MVRIDER

Monkey
Sep 23, 2003
249
0
Mtn. View, Ca.
kidwoo said:
I've got a pass at mt rose because it's good on weekends for less than the price of other mountains' midweeks. Most of my skiing is backcountry these days though. If you don't mind hiking, I can show you some stuff. I'm a 9 to 5 guy so weekends are best.
Thanks! I dont mind the hike one bit, concidering the reward at the end!:drool: Do you use snowshoes? Would you recommend that I pick some up? I'm a 9-5 M-F guy myself, so weekends are cool. I'll drop ya pm when I'm getting ready to head up there.
 

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
1,507
0
south lake tahoe, ca
kidwoo said:
I've got a pass at mt rose because it's good on weekends for less than the price of other mountains' midweeks. Most of my skiing is backcountry these days though. If you don't mind hiking, I can show you some stuff. I'm a 9 to 5 guy so weekends are best.
how much was the rose pass? i got the kirkwood and heavenly pass for $299 each.

do you do all your backcountry stuff on the north shore?
 

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
2,129
0
SL, UT
rose pass was $300 if you bought in sept, and I did.

after 2 winters of using snow shoes to get into the BC I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. If you ski get yourself a set of powder skis, skins and those fancy fritchi (probably spelt wrong) freeride bindings. I snowboard and I am currently in the process of getting myself some kind of split board.
 

kidwoo

Celebrating No-Pants Day
Aug 25, 2003
22,446
2,120
In my pants
MVRIDER said:
Thanks! I dont mind the hike one bit, concidering the reward at the end!:drool: Do you use snowshoes? Would you recommend that I pick some up? I'm a 9-5 M-F guy myself, so weekends are cool. I'll drop ya pm when I'm getting ready to head up there.
I use randonne skis. I used split boards for a couple of years and if I still snowboarded on hikes, that's the way I'd go. There actually is a type of snow shoe that works really well. It's a small surface area with a cupping ridge that packs down snow underneath your foot really well. I still prefer using skins but a buddy of mine has those shoes and they work MUCH better than the aluminum cage types.

Amy: I go all over the lake depending on the weather.
Dan's right, the mt rose passes were 300 this year. I think I'm in denial when they used to cost 200. But they are good on weekends and that place still has lines to ski 2 hours after opening unlike sugar/squaw/alpine. You have kirkwood though so I'll always be jealous.
 

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
17,412
0
SF
What's the weather like in the Sierras? I am thinking about doing some trail work in Downieville this weekend, and it would be great to do one more run...
 

kidwoo

Celebrating No-Pants Day
Aug 25, 2003
22,446
2,120
In my pants
sanjuro said:
What's the weather like in the Sierras? I am thinking about doing some trail work in Downieville this weekend, and it would be great to do one more run...
It's windy and raining right now at lake level. (6200) There will definitely be snow at d'ville this weekend.

Hey dan, if/when you get a split board, DO NOT get any of the older (05 and previous) burton boards. The binding systems on those things suck. I've lost years off of my life sitting on tops of peaks with 60 mph winds trying forever to get those things together. Plus they have a nice little habit of releasing their hold while you're freeheeling up something sending a board half down the hill without you. The voile stuff is cheap, ghetto engineered and solid as hell. Those things are way more functional and just rely on one big monster cotter pin.
 

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
2,129
0
SL, UT
the burton boards appeal to me because they come with everything done. However I will most likely be picking up some older powder board for cheap and splitting it myself, using the voile kit. Ever done one of those?

i've also heard that mt rose has good snow lasting a while after a storm, and I hear they aren't scared to open up the chutes early in the morning. you mentioned alpine on your list of mountains getting tracked out quick, with a little bit of effort I've ridden knee deep untouched powder 3-4 days after a storm there. i love that place.

sanjuro, the weather forecast has rain/snow for here through friday so if you are planning on doing work it better not be too high up. Is this weekend another trail maintenance weekend?
 

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
17,412
0
SF
It is an "Official Trail Daze". Tim Goat is going and I probably catch a ride with him.
 

kidwoo

Celebrating No-Pants Day
Aug 25, 2003
22,446
2,120
In my pants
dfinn said:
the burton boards appeal to me because they come with everything done. However I will most likely be picking up some older powder board for cheap and splitting it myself, using the voile kit. Ever done one of those??
No but the voile binding mounts are what you want so I'd say go for it. I'd put some sort of epoxy seal on the exposed edge but I'm sure voile reccomends something like that. I sold my burton after one season and used a voile for 3.

John told me the newer burton splits are a copy of the voile system so that might be an option too.

dfinn said:
you mentioned alpine on your list of mountains getting tracked out quick, with a little bit of effort I've ridden knee deep untouched powder 3-4 days after a storm there. i love that place.?
Not on anything good.:devil:

I had a pass there for 3 years and worked there the first year I lived here. I don't believe you.:blah:

I like riding there too just because I know just about every inch of that place but barring riding on things that were closed the day of a storm, that mountain is just about done by noon.

The good part about having skins there is that you can ride the backside when it's closed and just do a short hike over to the top of hotwheels.
 

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
2,129
0
SL, UT
condo runs 3-4 days after a big storm, completely untouched. i wouldn't lie to you ;)

John told me the newer burton splits are a copy of the voile system so that might be an option too.
my wallet says it's not an option at all. I have hookups through the KB Dave's but even at cost those are damn expensive. Sometime in the past 2 years bike parts have become a financial priority.
 

kidwoo

Celebrating No-Pants Day
Aug 25, 2003
22,446
2,120
In my pants
dfinn said:
condo runs 3-4 days after a big storm, completely untouched. i wouldn't lie to you ;).
Like I said, nothing good. :blah:

dfinn said:
my wallet says it's not an option at all. I have hookups through the KB Dave's but even at cost those are damn expensive. Sometime in the past 2 years bike parts have become a financial priority.
Dayum straight they have. That's the way it should be. Let me know when you cut your board. I wanna see it. Running a bandsaw down the length of a board that you want to ride takes some balls.