Quantcast

I hate ****ty professors

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mobius, Dec 18, 2005.

1. mobius

mobius Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    3 / 0
    Ok i'm a graphic design major and a decent artist. I did all my work, turned in all my drawings, my sketchbook and everything. I am not the best drawer out there but all my stuff was decently done, and somehow i got a D in drawing class. How in the hell do you get a D in a drawing class exactly? I don't know. My professor was a complete grading nazi asshole but i mean seriously? I went to class everytime and did all my work, am i missing something here?

This totally kills my GPA some but not a huge amount, luckily im allowed to graduate with 6 credits of D and this class was a 4 credit class but WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i hate ****ty teachers.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. BigMike

BigMike BrokenbikeMike

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    Usually drawing classes grade on progression.... did you progress any?

I'm not saying he's not a ****ty professor, but, that will probably be his defence.

If you feel you deserved higher, contact the professor, and if he is just a d!ck about it, challenge it (if you can PROVE you deserve higher)

I had my own crappy prof this semester, in Shakespeare. I HATE that guy!

3. mack

mack Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    I feel your pain. I just got over the worst history teacher ever. New pregnant teacher, didnt do any work. I still dont know anything about US history and will probably fail the AP test. She assinged a term paper last week and left on maternity leave without saying a word to the new sub. Now we are essentially starting over. Also lost 3 of my papers and marked them as a 0 in her grade book. She cant be contacted and the new sub isnt allowed to change the grade book or throw out those assingments that i supposodly 'missed'.

4. johnbryanpeters

Rep/Likes:
    242 / 2,576
    mack,

Read Lies My Teacher Told Me by James W. Loewen if you get a chance.

5. .:Jeenyus:.

.:Jeenyus:. Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    I'm in AP US History also.

My teacher is pretty damned crazy, but lets us know what we need to know.

6. SK6

SK6 Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0

[andrew] u make stupid posts, i will hurt you somehow. Just let me get a lot bigger then u first.

:p

7. SK6

SK6 Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    The real reason Mobius got a D: :D

8. kinghami3

kinghami3 Future Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    That's just mean.

9. SK6

SK6 Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Trying to make him laugh at having a sh!ty professor really. My College Comp II professor was an absolute b!tch from hell. You get those damn professors that just for some reason or another have it out for you.

My Civil Litigation II professor tried to screw me every second she got, but I tracked everything I did based on the syllabus, and did a spread sheet. So when it came for final grades and she said I barely made a B, I proceeded to show here my grades, based on her guidelines and the grades I received from the semester, I got an A.

bottom line, some professors are just out to screw you, for whatever reason.

The first post was a direct quote from mobius....

I have done technical drawings for the better part of 20 years, I KNOW exactly how mobius feels.

edit: and it WAS funny.

10. Polandspring88

Polandspring88 Superman

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    I feel your pain. Last term I ended up with a professor who did not have any compassion or inspiration to teach, she just regurgitated everything that was taught to her. Her way was the only way and if you did not understand, she would not take the time to help you understand, just went over her way again. Then again I have had other teachers who I visited during their office hours and they were extremely accomodating, doing everything that they could to get you the best grade possible. It really is hit or miss, some teachers couldn't care less about you and your grade while others make every effort to ensure you understand the material.

11. TheMontashu

TheMontashu Pourly Tatteued Jeu

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    One of my teachers had us read like half of that.

12. binary visions

binary visions The voice of reason

Rep/Likes:
    81 / 354
    Not to be mean, but a lot of the time, bad grades are the fault of the student - even if you worked hard. Not to say that plenty of teachers aren't grading nazis but you should always find out what a teacher is grading you on right off the bat. What they want from you, and what they expect out of you by the end of the class.

I was taking a chemistry class last year and wrote my first paper, got an 85 on it. No marks on it, no reason why. So I asked. Turns out, he actually really likes an entertaining story, so the storytelling part of it was as important as the informational part (these were mostly opinion papers). Next paper, I got a 95 on.

Sucks, definitely - it's pretty silly that a chem professor A) didn't put a single mark on the paper to tell me what I did wrong, and B) can't take a well-written, well supported paper and give it a good grade since I didn't write in a lot of "entertainment value". But there it is - you need to find out what they want and cater to that.

Of course, if you do genuinely feel that you deserved a better grade, you should absolutely NOT just walk away from it - question it. Find out why. Point out why your grade should be better. My girlfriend used to argue with her professors all the time and get her grades adjusted.

13. SkaredShtles

SkaredShtles I love NEWCASTLE and will ONLY drink NEWCASTLE!!!!

Rep/Likes:
    248 / 1,882
    What a bunch of whiners. :rolleyes: :nopity: :nopity: :nopity:

14. kinghami3

kinghami3 Future Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    I'm going to have to talk to my prof as well. I got a B- in the class, and the lowest I got an any assignment was an 82%, the rest were B+ to A material. Just left me confused about my grade, and if he shows me where I went wrong I won't have a problem with it. I still really like the prof though.

SK6, I was joking too, it was funny. Haha, you funny Dr. Jones, you very funny!

15. mobius

mobius Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    3 / 0
    My teacher emailed me back as to why i got a bad grade.

"an unimpressive portfolio and a general attitude of indifference to drawing by someone who occasionally showed me much more"

First off my portfolio half the drawings when we pinned them up in class he pointed out my drawings to be successful. I'm by no means a good drawer (hence me being a graphic design and photo major) but i mean come on how can you give someone that bad of a grade when they did exactly what you said and fixed their drawings to comply with what he wanted.

Oh well i found out i can graduate with 4 credits of D so im just gonna say screw it and move on. It didn't hurt my GPA to bad although i wish this semester my gpa rose oh well...

16. bluebug32

bluebug32 Asshat

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    Ok, there are too many fat people in the beginning of this thread. We need to get Richard Simmons in here.

17. mobius

mobius Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    3 / 0
    I'm doing weight watchers.

18. BigMike

BigMike BrokenbikeMike

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    I'm telling you man, go to their office hours and contest it. They have to elaborate more than that. If you feel its a BS reason, go to the dean. Don't just back down if you feel you deserve better. If he/she gave you a D for no apparent reason, and you did all the assigments, they hung up your drawings, you fixed what they told you to, fight it. If you did everything they wanted, you deserve at LEAST a C, as long as you showed some type of improvement, no matter how crappy of an artist you are.

19. BigMike

BigMike BrokenbikeMike

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0

Don't Hate

20. SK6

SK6 Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Dude, if your a graphic arts major, then this is a pretty important grade, certainly too important to just say fvck it.

21. Mattoid

Mattoid Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0

Just so you know, this is by a wide margin my favorite post ever made on ridemonkey. Thank you.

22. Jay Gatz

Jay Gatz Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    scanning for sarcasm....none detected. thats too bad.

this is an awful book, filled with an angry liberal's rants, and the only references used to back up the claims are even angrier, old or dead wackjobs' rants. if i hadnt of thrown the book away after the book store refused to buy it back last semester, i would give you some examples.

23. BigMike

BigMike BrokenbikeMike

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0

It was ver ver funny :)

24. SK6

SK6 Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    I see a lot of undiscovered talent there! LOL! :D

25. johnbryanpeters

Rep/Likes:
    242 / 2,576
    Well, when you can come up with some examples, let's talk about them, pref. in the political forum.

In the meantime, opinions are like...

26. Ciaran

Ciaran Fear my banana

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 8
    As you wish, My Lady....