Quantcast

I have a moral dilemma

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
So as some of you may know my fiancee's bike was left unused for a few weeks and a common barn sparrow built her nest on the seat.
We are moving, or should I say we have moved out and I haven't touched the bike so the nest and mother are still there. I haven't actually seen in the nest to see if there are any eggs. BUT everyday the mother sits on the nest so I'm assuming there is.
Here is the thing, we are moving out of this apt. fully come Saturday when we hand our keys back.

I know doing anything to the nest will cause the mother to not continue incubating the eggs.

What should I do? Kill the eggs.... or talk to my current landlords to let my fiancee's bike stay there for a few weeks?
Anybody know how long it take for the eggs to hatch?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
If you can't leave your bike, you should be able to move the nest to somplace close without causing too much trouble. Maybe stack a few boxes to a similar height in the shed, move the nest, take your bike down, then slide it over so it's in pretty much the same spot? Just be gentle and don't let the eggs fall through when you shift the nest...

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
OGRipper said:
If you can't leave your bike, you should be able to move the nest to somplace close without causing too much trouble. Maybe stack a few boxes to a similar height in the shed, move the nest, take your bike down, then slide it over so it's in pretty much the same spot? Just be gentle and don't let the eggs fall through when you shift the nest...
That nest is cemented to the seat. The sparrow used a UL approved system of horse hair and plaster.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Clearly there is only one choice. Abandon the bike.

Seriously though, I say carefully move the nest to someplace safe within the same part of the shed. Perhaps you could wear gloves to avoid leaving any scent?

If the mother abandons the nest then, well, it is what it is. But she may not do that. I certainly wouldn't kill the eggs. Give the sparrow the chance to make a decision based on it's instinct.

edit: I read your recent post. there MUST be a way to remove the nest.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
If you're worried about killing the "$0.10 a million" lil birdies...why not remove the seat from the bike and rig it up somehow in the same approximate location? I doubt that your soon to be wifey is gonna want to plant her bootay on that seat again. It will be stained for life with bird saliva and whatever other sticky substances they use for their nests.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Nick said:
Clearly there is only one choice. Abandon the bike.

Seriously though, I say carefully move the nest to someplace safe within the same part of the shed. Perhaps you could wear gloves to avoid leaving any scent?

If the mother abandons the nest then, well, it is what it is. But she may not do that. I certainly wouldn't kill the eggs. Give the sparrow the chance to make a decision based on it's instinct.

edit: I read your recent post. there MUST be a way to remove the nest.
It did and it built a nest on a bike seat!

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
FWIW...

We have a similar nest (sparrows) on our house. The babies have been up and flying for a week or so now. I say move the bike on Saturday regardless. There are probably what, a few million sparrows around???

If you absolutely can't do it (wuss), can you remove the saddle, leave that behind but take the rest of the bike?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
jacksonpt said:
FWIW...

We have a similar nest (sparrows) on our house. The babies have been up and flying for a week or so now. I say move the bike on Saturday regardless. There are probably what, a few million sparrows around???
Cold man, that is cold. :nonono:

Remove the seat. Or call animal care and control/SPCA, etc.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
OGRipper said:
Cold man, that is cold. :nonono:

Remove the seat. Or call animal care and control/SPCA, etc.

You wouldn't like me much yesterday then. I hit a sparrow doing 70 MPH yesterday. JDA.......Then WHOOOMP.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
Stosh, when you said you had a moral dilemma, I thought you were going to say you accidently got trashed and screwed two hookers or something right before your wedding. The bird thing really threw me off

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
bluebug32 said:
Stosh, when you said you had a moral dilemma, I thought you were going to say you accidently got trashed and screwed two hookers or something right before your wedding. The bird thing really threw me off
Bachelor party is next weekend so I got my fingers crossed!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
bluebug32 said:
maybe he's really british, and the picture is a red herring.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
bluebug32 said:
ROFL, you're in THE GREEN!!!

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
N8 said:
well, there are lots of sparrows already...
Thats partly my feeling!
But when she's sitting on her nest she has a certain cute factor.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
jacksonpt said:
FWIW...

If you absolutely can't do it (wuss), can you remove the saddle, leave that behind but take the rest of the bike?
:stupid: And yes, I am a cold-hearted biatch!

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Take a bread knife and cut it off the seat carefully. Set it in roughly the same direction/orientation and height nearby. Good luck to the bird and on the move.