Quantcast

I have no idea what I'm doing.. Electrical monkeys? help?

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
So I'm trying to fix an issue with my headlights.. I'm running HID lights (not the blue ones) and they run fine, they have for 2 years, but when I switch my lights off they flicker. I've been told that because I had daytime running lights, when my lights are switched off, they still receive off and on power, which will make a halogen bulb appear to be not as bright, but it just caused the HIDs to flicker. I tried adding a relay to solve the problem, and it worked when the car is off (running 12v) but when the car is on (running 14v) the relay just goes crazy switching back and forth so fast it just feels like it's vibrating. So does anyone have any ideas? I was thinking if I lower the voltage going into the relay it should solve the problem, but I don't know if it actually will or how to go about doing it..

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
0'02 outback? those didn't come with HID's did they? IF they are aftermarket, check the connectors. Your ballast might also be toast. You see that a lot with cheap aftermarket kits. Are they eBay setups?

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
0'02 outback? those didn't come with HID's did they? IF they are aftermarket, check the connectors. Your ballast might also be toast. You see that a lot with cheap aftermarket kits. Are they eBay setups?
Did you read?

I've been told that because I had daytime running lights, when my lights are switched off, they still receive off and on power, which will make a halogen bulb appear to be not as bright, but it just caused the HIDs to flicker. I tried adding a relay to solve the problem, and it worked when the car is off (running 12v) but when the car is on (running 14v) the relay just goes crazy switching back and forth so fast it just feels like it's vibrating.
My first HID kit was an ebay style POS kit. But everything works perfect until I try to turn the lights off with the engine on and the relay goes crazy so I'm pretty sure it's not the lights that are the problem.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
This...... either your looking at a connection issue, or your wiring is just plain incorrect.

You might also be getting a back feed into the relay you installed as well from the ballast system on the bulbs. That could make a relay go ape**** too, might have to use a solid state type

Last edited: