Quantcast

I have to design a car... any ideas?

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
It's for my design engineering class. The next project is to design a car for the future - year 2025. It can be in any category, have any number of wheels, have a new concept, etc. Some categories on the list are commuters, sports cars, rescue vehicles, taxicabs, etc. I know almost nothing about cars, so I need help.

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Echo said:
I'll paypal you $5 if you hand in a bicycle as your project.
I would do it, but I just designed a pedal, and I want a car as a challenge for me. I'll take the 5 dollars anyway though. :D

i say a badass rescue vehicle would be cool. or the shuttle truck 2025
Now there is an idea. A specialy designed truck only for shuttling.... Any specifics? I havent shuttled before, what could an improvment be over a pickup truck?

Here's the pedal.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Well to be a truly kickass shuttle, it would need to carry 8 bikes and 8 people with gear, somewhat comfortably. You would have to really get creative with the design to keep the vehicle at a reasonable size. Something like an overhead bike storage that uses hydraulics to lower for loading.

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Echo said:
Well to be a truly kickass shuttle, it would need to carry 8 bikes and 8 people with gear, somewhat comfortably. You would have to really get creative with the design to keep the vehicle at a reasonable size. Something like an overhead bike storage that uses hydraulics to lower for loading.
So you're talking a monster garage type shuttle truck? :p

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
You have to do "The Homer."

"Some things are so snazzy they never go out of style! Like tail fins... And bubble domes... And shag carpeting..."

"I want a horn here, here, and here. You can never find a horn when you're mad. And they should all play `La Cucaracha'."

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
BikeGeek said:
You have to do "The Homer."

"Some things are so snazzy they never go out of style! Like tail fins... And bubble domes... And shag carpeting..."

"I want a horn here, here, and here. You can never find a horn when you're mad. And they should all play `La Cucaracha'."
That would take me sooo long to design, even longer than the super shuttle vehicle of the future - which I like the idea of.

I'm not doing a sports car, because on this gallery, there are far too many. I like the shuttle idea, now I need some help on it.

me89

Monkey
May 25, 2004
asheville
ultimate shuttle vehicle. deffinatly. 8 bikes pfft. that pathetic. make it as long as a bus man. you can fit 8 peps in that comfortably. and deffinatly a hydraulic unloading mechanizim. it has to be lifted so that it can get into remote locals. has to have mounts for video cameras and lader going to the top so the photographers and video guys to get up there. also but have overhead storage space for all the gear. also put tons of lights on it for night sessions you cant forget about night sessions. i think that just about covers it. ohh also put some beds in there. napy time.lol :thumb:

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Echo said:
Since we're talking 2025 here, why not have the car automatically map the route with GPS on the drive to the top, then everyone could ride and thetruck would meet them at the bottom. I'm not sure how that would be expressed in a graphic unless you put a satellite dish on the roof. :D

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
me89 said:
ultimate shuttle vehicle. deffinatly. 8 bikes pfft. that pathetic. make it as long as a bus man. you can fit 8 peps in that comfortably. and deffinatly a hydraulic unloading mechanizim. it has to be lifted so that it can get into remote locals. has to have mounts for video cameras and lader going to the top so the photographers and video guys to get up there. also but have overhead storage space for all the gear. also put tons of lights on it for night sessions you cant forget about night sessions. i think that just about covers it. ohh also put some beds in there. napy time.lol :thumb:
I guess I forgot to add this - the sheet says "anything that takes advantage of small size." I'm gonna make the shuttle as small as possible but still fits 8 people, their gear and bikes comfortably. Yeah, I can add lights though, those are easy to make.
So, for a start, how big should the wheels/tires be?

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Echo said:
You make a shuttle out of a Cooper Mini and you will get an A+ :D

I've actually been waiting for somebody to try something like that.

A lifted mini with monster tires.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Shuttle truck ideas to think about:

5-6 people comfortably

retractable clamshell cover for the loading area (its 2025 biatch!)

some "quick loaad" system that wouldn't require a mess of moto tie downs and bungee cords

built in air compressor

A repair stand arm comes out of the side of the vehicle

me89

Monkey
May 25, 2004
asheville
I'll bend the guidelines a bit, it will probably end up the size of a small bus anyway - small for it's category, how about that?
SHORT BUS ALL THE WAY

hellz yeh man. ohh and deffinatly put a workshop in the back off it and im feeling the gps. good idea to whoever said that :thumb: .

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Now some good ideas are really starting to flow, I love the sound of it so far. I'm just wondering how long it will take to design. :p So the front is bus/truck style to fit around 8 people including the driver, the back like a box truck with those wheel holding things built into the floor (like bike shops have for displays) that hold the bikes in place and nicely spaced. Some cargo holds could be below the cab, like buses in a way, but will still have good ground clearance. Tires will be big and tough. There will be a GPS system so you know where you are, maps the route, you dont get lost. Along with the cargo holds under the cab will be a pull out workbench with all the tools needed + a bike holder arm. AN air compresser tank can go somewhere in that area as well.
Did I miss anything? I can add video cameras to the truck and a closed circut TV system so you can view the footage after it is taken or on the ride home.

Should that be enough? I'm starting this on Wednesday.

towelie

Monkey
May 14, 2003
Santa Barbara county
Are you an industrial design major? Is this project for Dr. Seal? If it is, something environmentally friendly and efficient is key.

Also, does this vehicle have to be marketable, or is pie-in-the-sky fine? Because I don't think there would be much of a market for a specialty shuttle vehicle.

Anyway, you should come up with some priorities, and let them be your guide. Some things you'll have to priortize are...

*Cost
*Street legality
*manuverability (need to turn this beast around on a 1-lane road...maybe 4-wheel steering?)
*Efficiency- since you're going up and down hills all day, and paying 2025 fuel prices, some sort of regenerative braking that can recover the energy of a whole hill descent is important
*Convenience- it must be quick and convenient to load the people and their bikes. I was thinking of something like a flat bed with a bike rack on it. Two fit 8 bikes without being excessivly wide, the rack would have to be longitudinal rather than transverse. A tailgate, but on the side (sidegate) could secure the bikes...keep them from falling out. In front of every bike on the rack there could be a jump-seat for the rider. Designing safety AND convenience here will be a challenge.

The basic chassis could be used as a "rescue vehicle" type thing too. Take a look at the Mercedes Uni-Mog for ideas.

B_A_MTBIKER

Monkey
May 4, 2004
Where the wild things are
dwaugh said:
I would do it, but I just designed a pedal, and I want a car as a challenge for me. I'll take the 5 dollars anyway though. :D

Now there is an idea. A specialy designed truck only for shuttling.... Any specifics? I havent shuttled before, what could an improvment be over a pickup truck?

Here's the pedal.

That pedal looks like an armored tank.

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
towelie said:
Are you an industrial design major? Is this project for Dr. Seal? If it is, something environmentally friendly and efficient is key.

Also, does this vehicle have to be marketable, or is pie-in-the-sky fine? Because I don't think there would be much of a market for a specialty shuttle vehicle.

Anyway, you should come up with some priorities, and let them be your guide. Some things you'll have to priortize are...

*Cost
*Street legality
*manuverability (need to turn this beast around on a 1-lane road...maybe 4-wheel steering?)
*Efficiency- since you're going up and down hills all day, and paying 2025 fuel prices, some sort of regenerative braking that can recover the energy of a whole hill descent is important
*Convenience- it must be quick and convenient to load the people and their bikes. I was thinking of something like a flat bed with a bike rack on it. Two fit 8 bikes without being excessivly wide, the rack would have to be longitudinal rather than transverse. A tailgate, but on the side (sidegate) could secure the bikes...keep them from falling out. In front of every bike on the rack there could be a jump-seat for the rider. Designing safety AND convenience here will be a challenge.

The basic chassis could be used as a "rescue vehicle" type thing too. Take a look at the Mercedes Uni-Mog for ideas.
I'm just in 10th grade. :blah: We really just have to design the car for the future, it could be anything. I just thought that since just about everyone is obsessed with designing fast sports cars, I wanted to be different. I really like your ideas on convinience though. I was going to have the bikes racked longitudinally, it really saves room that way. What I really have to do is make this what I want it to be. :)
Street legality? :rolleyes: Who needs that?
(My design will probably be street legal in the end though)

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
Since you are putting in GPS, which is current technology, why not beef it up a bit and put in auto-pilot capabilities.

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
dwaugh said:
Ummm... I'll get back to you on that one.

Next important question: What color should it be? I was thinking black and red or something like that.
Root Beer or Trans-Gold is where it's gonna be for 2025.

towelie

Monkey
May 14, 2003
Santa Barbara county
10th grade! I saw you were from Bellingham, so I assumed you were going to Western Washington University. They design and build a TON of really cool cars at the Vehicle Research Institute there. I visited it when I was in 10th or 11th grade, and that is what inspired me to become a mechanical engineer.

Hey...I thought of a more efficient way to package the bikes though. Have the front tire hanging off a hook mounted 7' off the ground, and maybe a slot for the rear wheel to keep them from banging around too badly. A sidegate could then fold up and cover the rear wheels to prevent them from falling out of their slots when you drive around corners. Everything would be nice and locke in, quick to load and unload, and not take much space. This is similar to how many people store their bikes in their garage in order to save floor space. That would leave more room for the riders seats on the other half of the vehicle.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
dwaugh said:
That would take me sooo long to design, even longer than the super shuttle vehicle of the future - which I like the idea of.

I'm not doing a sports car, because on this gallery, there are far too many. I like the shuttle idea, now I need some help on it.
Wow, theres some really unoriginal crap on there. The "dream alfa romeo's" front end might as well be a carbon copy of the bugatti veyron. "swoopy" already exists a thousand times over, you cand find a hot rod that looks like that at any hot rod show, and the new beetle thing is just a beetle with rims... please. My advice, get creative without getting impracticle. A good concept car is one where people say, "damn I hope they build that," not "wow thats crazy looking, no way that'll ever happen."

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
towelie said:
10th grade! I saw you were from Bellingham, so I assumed you were going to Western Washington University. They design and build a TON of really cool cars at the Vehicle Research Institute there. I visited it when I was in 10th or 11th grade, and that is what inspired me to become a mechanical engineer.

Hey...I thought of a more efficient way to package the bikes though. Have the front tire hanging off a hook mounted 7' off the ground, and maybe a slot for the rear wheel to keep them from banging around too badly. A sidegate could then fold up and cover the rear wheels to prevent them from falling out of their slots when you drive around corners. Everything would be nice and locke in, quick to load and unload, and not take much space. This is similar to how many people store their bikes in their garage in order to save floor space. That would leave more room for the riders seats on the other half of the vehicle.
I wonder why I didnt think of that?! It's so obvious and it will work great! thanks for making this vehicle cooler and much better and my job much easier (this design will be easier for me to do).