Quantcast

I have two questions about my new build

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
Ok, I pretty much got everything sorted out for my new Suburban build except for the cranks, bb, sprocket, bars, and stem.

First, I know the suburban has a Euro BB, so could I still run the Tree Sprocket and The Demolition Cranks? If so what else would I need to get to run them and what size.

Second, I am going to lower my fork to 80mm, now how do I know how high the bars should be. Any recomendations on bars and stem combo thats super light weight but stiff and strong?

thanks

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I've been running the Tree Splined sprocket for about 2 months now. Love it. Zero problems. I had some difficulty installing it, but then I emailed Tree and learned that the spindle I was using (Oddyssee) is manufactured using a process that doesn't hold as tight of a tolerance that is needed (which also explained the difficulty I had installing cranks). SO I dug up an Profile spindle I had..... went right on.

.Pit Steelers.

Nostradumbass
Jun 18, 2006
Hawaii
How about what everyone eles has, Profile cranks?. Been running them for only about 6 months now but there great. Aside from the rust, Iv'e also got a profile imp sprocket, i like it alot. But chances are im going to go with Tree because iv'e bent the profile a bit from sprocket stalls.

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
Well I think I am just going to stick with the Deity cranks since they have a lifetime warrenty and seem to centered towards MTB use.

Now I am confused on sprockets, I need to know which one you would recomend, or what the advantages are over using a Spine drive over the bolt on.

Also, what else do I need, besides the crankset I linked above and a sprocket for the BB?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Now I am confused on sprockets, I need to know which one you would recomend, or what the advantages are over using a Spine drive over the bolt on.
The spline drive sprocket has 2 advantages:

1) lighter (marginally). because you don't need the bolt that would normally fix the sprocket to the crank

2) drive alignment (this is a much more important aspect) - but freeing the sprocket from having to be right next to the crank, it allows you get get a better driveline with your chain because you can put spacers between the crank arm and the sprocket.

Defenestrated

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
Earth
Diety cranksets are mtb bbs, I don't know whether or not the suburban has a bmx or mtb bb but you might want to look into that.

EDIT: Nvm NS site says 68mm, thats mtb

Last edited:

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
Definately get the Tree splined. I ove mine. I went with Profiles and a Ti spindle. Perfect set-up.

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
Yeah the Tree is very wide. Plus the little spacer makes it evern wider as far as spindle consumption. But the thing is perfectly round. No tight chain syndrome. And fairly light.

I really like the Profiles. Stiff and just plain awesome.

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
Thanks for the picture dirtbag, lol thats the same chain I'm gunna be running too. I'm definatly gunna go for the tree splines and Vendatta Cranks.

Sorry for all the questions but I would like to run a 12:24 or 1:2 gear ratio, now I would have to change the sprocket thing on my Halo SAS rear hub, which I believe is a Spin Doctor, but would this 12T work with it: http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=12032&category=1569

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
I run a 24/12t on my set-up with a Profile SS hub. I personally like a 1/8" cog in back to minimize the play in using a 1/8" chain. A smaller thickness cog will work, but I don't want the play.

12t is the smallest you can go without going to a 1 piece driver for a hub. Also you need low profile spacers on each side of the cog or the chain will hit them.

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
I run a 24/12t on my set-up with a Profile SS hub. I personally like a 1/8" cog in back to minimize the play in using a 1/8" chain. A smaller thickness cog will work, but I don't want the play.

12t is the smallest you can go without going to a 1 piece driver for a hub. Also you need low profile spacers on each side of the cog or the chain will hit them.
Thats an interesting thought about the play in the chain. I noticed that about mine because it moved around a bit. I can't seem to find 1/8 cogs anywhere though, but I'll keep looking. thanks.

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
Just a couple notes. Go with the tree, they are amazing, but if you go Deity you can't go splined because the number of splines is different. I love my Deity's and I just run a regular Tree lite on it. The spline set up is easy to use, if you go with Profiles.

Other then that, your bar height question, its up to you what your comfortable with. I like my bars lower so I slammed my fork do about 65-70ish and run 2.5 bars on a zero rise Thomson stem. Its perfect for me, but I'm used to a low BMX set-up.

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
Oh, and one more thing. I always thought the 1:2 was a good ratio, but its usually way to light. Maybe if your area has lots of hills, but if your riding parks and trails you will probably want to run something stiffer. On my 26" I like a 27:12, 26 is ok but still a bit light, 25 a spun out of super easy. Again, its up to you and your area and what you ride, but I imagine you might be a bit disappointed with how easy it is, and how much you pay for a tree its a good idea to get it right.

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
I thought the Deity spindle was different than a Profile 48 spline. I do remember reading that somewhere. In that case no go for the Tree splined. I personally would (and did) build a crankset around the Tree. It is that good.

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
Thanks for the help guys, I'm glad I found out that the Plined doesn't work because I probly would have ordered it. I gues I am just going to have to go witht he regular.

And thanks dirtbag for the link, that ones actualy cheaper then the other one, so thats good.

I may just hold off on the bars for now.

thanks again.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
I didn't read all the thread but I'll clear this up for you.

Don't get Deitys, just get Profiles, they have a lifetime warrenty as well and are just all around better cranks, not to mention sexier.

Ok, so your list will include:
Profile (whatever length) cranks
6 inch 48 splined spindle
Euro BB
And whatever size chainwheel you need.

If you go to Profile's website you can get the whole setup in one order with the right length spindle and the correct BB. It just makes life alot easier instead of ordering a handful of parts from DansComp.

PM me if you need help.

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
I didn't read all the thread but I'll clear this up for you.

Don't get Deitys, just get Profiles, they have a lifetime warrenty as well and are just all around better cranks, not to mention sexier.

Ok, so your list will include:
Profile (whatever length) cranks
6 inch 48 splined spindle
Euro BB
And whatever size chainwheel you need.

If you go to Profile's website you can get the whole setup in one order with the right length spindle and the correct BB. It just makes life alot easier instead of ordering a handful of parts from DansComp.

PM me if you need help.
idk, deity has always given me great cutomer service and I have heard some great things about the cranks. Plus the set comes with everything I need. I'll just get the crankset, bolt, and the normal tree sproket.

As far as gearing goes, I thought my bike was 16:32, but its actualy 16:34, which I really like so with a 12t rear sproket, to make the eqivalent of that I would get the 25t sproket up front, right? Well the only problem is that i can't find a normal tree sproket in 25, only 28 and 24... What should I do?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
to answer your question earlier, the splined sprocket should work fine with the vendetta cranks. The 19mm spindle refers to the diameter - this is a standard size. the 68mm refers to the width of the BB.

Personally, i'd recommend the splined sprocket over the non-splined.

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
On second thought, I think I am just going to run with profiles, they do seems like a better crank now can someone help me out with crank lenght, bb, and all that jaz?

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
I'm going to say it again THE NUMBER OF SPLINES ON A DEITY AND PROFILE SPINDLE ARE NOT THE SAME (I own both, trust me on this one).

Shop around for sprockets, Albes has 25T, Empire has everything BUT 25t. Personally, I would go 26t. I don't think you will regret it.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
Crank length is a personal thing. I run 175's but I wish I had 170's because my bike is a bit to short for barspins sometimes.

PM me and I will talk you through the order on Profile. But on the Tree splined chainwheel, you might be SOL on a 25 tooth. I run a 25:12 as well but I use a Profile chainwheel and it works just fine.