Quantcast

I hope he serves some jail time....

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Frickin' rocket scientist.
"I understand that, OK, but I have a right to protect myself too, sir, and you understand that. And the laws have been changed in this country since September the First and you know it and I know it."

Unless when he went outside the burlgers threatened him it sounds like premeditation.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
good for him....I hope if someone steals sh!t from my house they get shot

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I was out of town for a weekend and a friend was letting my dog out. He locked himself out of my house and had to break in. I'm glad my neighbor didn't shoot him.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Unless when he went outside the burlgers threatened him it sounds like premeditation.
That would assume there was a crime committed, and I bet in Texas they won't even consider what he did a crime. Remember the Japanese student that was shot and killed a few years ago? All he did was walk on some guys property during Halloween, he shot and killed him and walked with no charges.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
If the guy didn't shoot them, the cops probably would have showed up, fail to see the burglars because they were long gone, and tazed the guy for being a dirty liar.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
That would assume there was a crime committed, and I bet in Texas they won't even consider what he did a crime. Remember the Japanese student that was shot and killed a few years ago? All he did was walk on some guys property during Halloween, he shot and killed him and walked with no charges.
The article doesn't go into details but it sounds like the thief's weren't even on the guys property. Texas is ****ed up but I can't see how vigilante style shooting is justifiable on someone Else's property. This is basically the same thing as shooting someone in a Walmart who is shoplifting.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
The article doesn't go into details but it sounds like the thief's weren't even on the guys property. Texas is ****ed up but I can't see how vigilante style shooting is justifiable on someone Else's property. This is basically the same thing as shooting someone in a Walmart who is shoplifting.

exactly...and they weren't on his property...if you listen to the audio he says "bang you dead"..like he enjoyed it!...D

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
I'm pro gun, but this case shows 2 problems in texas.

1. Most states only allow lethal force in your dwelling, so shooting some one in your yard, especially unarmed, is illegal. I think this is fair. Texas is too extreme.

2. The law passed only covers protecting your property, but this guy may get away with this if the thieves stepped on his front yard.

I would bet he gets away with this in Texas. It just feels wrong.

Do you really believe some deserves to die for stealing a TV, from an empty house?? If you don't threaten a life, you shouldn't loose one is my opinion and obviously no one was threatened.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
if you don't know your history, you're doomed to repeat it.

Wiki: September 1st, 1975 - The last original episode of the American television series Gunsmoke airs on CBS after a record 20-year run.

(this guy's probably too dumb to care about the beslan massacre, which also happened on sept 1st)

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Do you really believe some deserves to die for stealing a TV, from an empty house?? If you don't threaten a life, you shouldn't loose one is my opinion and obviously no one was threatened.

exactly my thought...and the whole time the dispatcher is telling him this...D

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
****, there are days when I feel like someone deserves to die for straddling two lanes and driving 10mph under the limit.
whatsa matter fo you? wife make you watch the birdcage again?

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
This is basically the same thing as shooting someone in a Walmart who is shoplifting.
Shoplifting from a store and breaking into someone house are not the same thing. There were four burglaries down the street from us. I wonder whether we might be the next house. I don't worry when I'm in a store that someone may be endangering me or my family.

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
Like attracts like. People that sympathize will stay or move there and people that don't will stay away. I think Florida is or did the same thing.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
i wish i could do that.

man, there are always some pesky commie protesters coming to the state building next to my house making noise, littering, stealing my lights, keying my cars, cutting branches from my trees, stealing lawn ornaments and flowers, using my outside yard as a public park....

i wish i could go sniper style on my roof and take down a few.
jebus, i promise ill spare the pregnant and the older ones if you let me do it just one time :biggrin:

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
If he gets off, I know what my argument would be as a drug dealer who got nabbed for offing a rival in a territory dispute...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
i wish i could do that.

man, there are always some pesky commie protesters coming to the state building next to my house making noise, littering, stealing my lights, keying my cars, cutting branches from my trees, stealing lawn ornaments and flowers, using my outside yard as a public park....

i wish i could go sniper style on my roof and take down a few.
jebus, i promise ill spare the pregnant and the older ones if you let me do it just one time :biggrin:
I have never needed a gun, and I hope I will never.

It is easy to make jokes about this, but bad things will happen to innocent people. Just google Cheshire Connecticut and Home Invasion.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
I have never needed a gun, and I hope I will never.

It is easy to make jokes about this, but bad things will happen to innocent people. Just google Cheshire Connecticut and Home Invasion.
i know...
i just them sprinkle with a garden hose at most.... (though represalies are t3h suckness), or beg the cops for tear gas (they almost never accept though).

dayid

Chimp
Nov 15, 2007
Central FL
I'm pro gun, but this case shows 2 problems in texas.

1. Most states only allow lethal force in your dwelling, so shooting some one in your yard, especially unarmed, is illegal. I think this is fair. Texas is too extreme.

2. The law passed only covers protecting your property, but this guy may get away with this if the thieves stepped on his front yard.

I would bet he gets away with this in Texas. It just feels wrong.

1. At least Florida and Texas have strong castle-doctrines. In FL, if someone is being threatened - they do not have to be even on their own property (or even private property), and they are still allowed to not be required to "attempt to retreat" as long as they are not trespassing. e.g., if someone comes chasing up to you behind a public mall, rather than getting in your car and driving away, you are "reasonable" to stand your ground and shoot this person if they are to assault you (remembering that assault and battery are far two different things).

2. See #1, I believe Texas holds our same laws (I am from FL), but I am not positive, as I don't pay tons of attention to other state's law.

dayid

Chimp
Nov 15, 2007
Central FL
Read that sentence out loud.

It's early on the west coast, I'm only about half a cup in, and that sentence hurts.
In FL, if someone is being threatened - they do not have to be even on their own property (or even private property), and they are still allowed to not be required to "attempt to retreat" as long as they are not trespassing.
It's still proper, but to rephrase for you far-coasters:
In Florida, if someone is threatening you - unless you are currently trespassing - you are not required to retreat.

Okay, so the first version sucks, whatever :redface:

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
That 911 call pretty much seals the deal. He spells out the fact that he intends to shoot them. Like I said in the other thread, if I was his defense attorney, I'd point out that he does have a right to try and stop the crime in progress, like any citizen, and that at 70 years old, he doesn't stand a chance of accomplishing that except with a gun. But the recording pretty much undercuts that one chance at a defense.

As his prosecutor, I'd tear him apart for pre-meditating the killing, and for the fact that if he ever was in danger, it's because he put himself there with the intent to shoot. Could even be considered malice aforethought. I'd also point out if police had been on the scene, they would likewise be unjustified in shooting either thief as the situation stood.

On a personal/emotional level, I don't have that much of a problem with what the guy did. I like the fact that citizens desire law and order in their communities and are willing to act to stop criminals, and don't give much of a **** for the life of the thieves, who could have decided to make an honest buck that day. (Obviously, there's the ironic contradiction of the shooter himself becoming a criminal if he shot them in violation of the law...)

However, as a society, I don't think we should set rules that allow people to use deadly force unless they themselves are threatened with it...otherwise, too many doors to chaos are opened.

I kind of like the Texas 'castle doctrine,' because it affirms people's right to defend themselves and their stuff...because while stuff isn't alive, criminals who attempt to take stuff often leave bodies in their wake.

This guy seems to have stepped outside even the lenient Texas law on self-defense, however, and I think he's going to have to pay.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
That 911 call pretty much seals the deal. He spells out the fact that he intends to shoot them. Like I said in the other thread, if I was his defense attorney, I'd point out that he does have a right to try and stop the crime in progress, like any citizen, and that at 70 years old, he doesn't stand a chance of accomplishing that except with a gun. But the recording pretty much undercuts that one chance at a defense.

As his prosecutor, I'd tear him apart for pre-meditating the killing, and for the fact that if he ever was in danger, it's because he put himself there with the intent to shoot. Could even be considered malice aforethought. I'd also point out if police had been on the scene, they would likewise be unjustified in shooting either thief as the situation stood.

On a personal/emotional level, I don't have that much of a problem with what the guy did. I like the fact that citizens desire law and order in their communities and are willing to act to stop criminals, and don't give much of a **** for the life of the thieves, who could have decided to make an honest buck that day. (Obviously, there's the ironic contradiction of the shooter himself becoming a criminal if he shot them in violation of the law...)

However, as a society, I don't think we should set rules that allow people to use deadly force unless they themselves are threatened with it...otherwise, too many doors to chaos are opened.

I kind of like the Texas 'castle doctrine,' because it affirms people's right to defend themselves and their stuff...because while stuff isn't alive, criminals who attempt to take stuff often leave bodies in their wake.

This guy seems to have stepped outside even the lenient Texas law on self-defense, however, and I think he's going to have to pay.
This is going to be a tough one. On your first point, you are absolutely right. He said he was going to shoot them, and then he does it. Premeditation.

I do think the law will go after him, despite I bet overwhelming support for the shooter. It might not be 2nd degree murder, but what if this story was the neighbor's kids lost their key and they were breaking into their house.

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
I think shooting thieves is a great idea. It will only remove some pollution from the gene pool. Better make sure they are actually thieves first, but breaking windows with a crowbar and leaving the house with property looks reasonably suspicious.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
I think shooting thieves is a great idea. It will only remove some pollution from the gene pool. Better make sure they are actually thieves first, but breaking windows with a crowbar and leaving the house with property looks reasonably suspicious.
I personally favour festooning city hall with their giblets, after they've been torn apart by wild horses and had their heads placed on pikes at the entrance to the city. And that's just for bed wetters.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC

I hope so Mike but I don't have much faith in Texans and their justice system...D

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
I've heard two different transcriptions on of the tape:

Move. You're dead. --> trying for citizen's arrest?

Boom(?). You're dead. --> well...

If someone points a gun at me, I'm not going to keep going at them. Unfortunately, the only one that knows exactly what happened is Mr. Horn.

Article 14.01(a) of the Code of Criminal Procedure permits private citizens to make arrests only if the offense is classed as a felony or as an offense against the public peace.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
I hope so Mike but I don't have much faith in Texans and their justice system...D
Nice blanket statement. I hadn't really ever thought of giving you douche squirt status, but you have taken me by surprise.

For the record, since we're all stupid f*#king rednecks to you, I think the guy was wrong in shooting. I also think the thieves were wrong.

I'm just glad that you and Canada have your sh*t so tied up. :disgust1:

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Nice blanket statement. I hadn't really ever thought of giving you douche squirt status, but you have taken me by surprise.

For the record, since we're all stupid f*#king rednecks to you, I think the guy was wrong in shooting. I also think the thieves were wrong.

I'm just glad that you and Canada have your sh*t so tied up. :disgust1:

yeah I said you're all "stupid f*#king rednecks" :plthumbsdown:...where the hell do you see that?....please I would like to know exactly how it is that you're able to read my mind....D

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
yeah I said you're all "stupid f*#king rednecks" :plthumbsdown:...where the hell do you see that?....please I would like to know exactly how it is that you're able to read my mind....D
Sorry. That was my generalization of everyone who has spent so much time here, knowing exactly how TX laws work, judging us and our state.

Did you know we really don't hang people and ride horses to work???

It's funny how little ranting I, along with my friends, do in regards to all of the other really retarded places that stupid things are going on.

Your implication was that everyone here is so into vigilantism or is incapable of intelligent thought that it doesn't surprise you. It is TX and all.