Quantcast

I hope Karma is real.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
So I had just finished tuning up a bike and I was taking it out for a test ride in the shop's parking lot. Whilst coming back in I noticed a wallet laying on the ground, I threw it in my apron and went back to the shop area. I opened up the wallet and what do I find; License, various credit cards, a season pass to six flags, and $387 in cash! As a poor college student my eyes immediately lit up with the thoughts of all the booze, lap dances, and Easy Mac that could buy me. Then the little angel on my left shoulder tells me to do the right thing and try to find the owner.:crazy: I look his name up in the customer database and find his number and give him a call. He was also a student here at Clemson and was ecstatic that I found his wallet. I didn't get any reward nor did I get any sort of warm and fuzzy feeling inside. I just hope what goes around comes around. :bonk:

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
I lost my wallet on a trail once (yeah, fo some stupid reason I put it in the camelback...)

About 2 months later a guy I know found it. All the credit cards had been replaced and the DL, so the cash was all that mattered. Even the wallet was waterlogged and worthless.

I gave him all the cash (it was ~$40). Even though he didn't want it I told him to take it and buy beer for everyone after the next ride.

What I did get out of it was a nice duplicate DL that I keep in my camelback now.

You have to reward people that do good because so many people would not. It's real easy to say "I found the wallet but there was no cash in it."

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
If I find your bike, may I have the brakes as a reward?

10% might be usual, but politely turning down the offer would be the right thing to do. There should not be a fee for service for returning somebody's property.
Of course not but you'd would be the recipient of a carton of cans or a nice big watermelon from the in-laws shop. People who don't look after the "findee" or as ignorant as the people who expect a reward. Ymmv.

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
Expecting a reward for doing the right thing canceled the good karma you would have gotten. If you always do the right thing, then good karma will flow your way.
Exactly the same reason my dad believed that when tithing/giving in church, you do it in secret/cash. He said, you can either have mans reward of recognition & receipts or you can have God's reward, but not both.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Isn't doing something good, and expecting 'good karma' in return essentially the same thing as expecting a cash reward?

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
You did the right thing, that is a hell of a lot of cash to have on hand....was he doing some illicit trading?

gsweet

Monkey
Dec 20, 2001
Minnesota
nah, you did the right thing. to hell with those who think otherwise; i get the sense you are hoping for good karma as a result of what you did, not doing the deed for the sake of good karma. i'm a student too and have found myself in a similar situation a handful of times and i've always returned what i've found. sometimes the person just says thanks and walks away, sometimes they buy me a beer or lunch. just keep doing the right thing and it'll inspire people around you to follow suit; that's a reward in and of itself.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Season pass to six flags and he has a bike - something does not add up.
His bike was a 25 year old schwinn that I fixed a week earlier. I was honestly hoping for a trip to six flags. I haven't been on a roller coaster since senior year of high school (4 years), how sad is that?