Quantcast

I just bought a Ferrari.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
FD9F0013-C682-4D0F-A225-7EFEE435BE74.jpeg

I just ordered one of these... Heats up to 450 celsius or 842 Fahrenheit.
Really looking forward to trying it out, got a recipe for dough from an Italian friend of mine but that will take 3 days to get ready so I might take some shortcuts for my first go.

Anyone else make their own pizzas at home?
Do’s? Dont’s?

And no I dont put pineapple on my pizzas.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i like to add a little ricotta to the mozz.

when i do a white pizza, i mix them in a bowl with some truffle oil and herbs before putting it on the pizza

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Don't skimp on olive oil in the dough.
Also see if a local pizza place that you like will sell you some dough.

What diameter is that thing?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The site Im buying it from specs it at 450 but if the companies website says 400 thats probably the correct number.
I think 400 will be enough though.
My normal oven only goes up to 250...

That is weird though.
agreed, 400C will def be hot enough to cook a pizza. my non-convection oven goes up to 550F/288C and will cook a pie on a stone in about 7-8 minutes.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
funny you mention this, over the weekend i made pizza from scratch for the first time in years. i made some changes to my old dough recipe that i was very happy with.

plain cheese for the kids:

1581013996208.png

white pizza (cheese mix listed above) with tomatoes, shitaake mushrooms, and sauteed spinach for the wife

1581014032129.png

shitaake, bell pepper, red onion, and jalapeno for myself:

1581014060064.png

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
I have a stone as well but its just not the same.

funny you mention this, over the weekend i made pizza from scratch for the first time in years. i made some changes to my old dough recipe that i was very happy with.

View attachment 140714

white pizza (cheese mix listed above) with tomatoes, shitaake mushrooms, and sauteed spinach for the wife

View attachment 140716

View attachment 140717
Dammit, now Im hungry again and I just ate :D

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
View attachment 140712

And no I dont put pineapple on my pizzas.
wise....wise....wise....

i like my pizzas simple....pepperoni....lite cheese...normal sauce....on the crisp side....

mushrooms never....olives...never...

would not turn my nose up to....

bell pepper
sausage
canadian bacon
hamburger

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
wise....wise....wise....

i like my pizzas simple....pepperoni....lite cheese...normal sauce....on the crisp side....

mushrooms never....olives...never...

would not turn my nose up to....

bell pepper
sausage
canadian bacon
hamburger
a local place by me that has wood fired pizza offers meatballs. not a whole meatball, but they take meatballs and slice them like pepperoni (albeit thicker) and its awesome.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
a local place by me that has wood fired pizza offers meatballs. not a whole meatball, but they take meatballs and slice them like pepperoni (albeit thicker) and its awesome.
meatballs...covered in sauce under cheese....i could get behind that...

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I approve of everyone making pizzas at home. JonKranks efforts look awesome! No pizza is required to be perfect. I am on a pineapple, bacon, olive, and onion kick myself. Making your own dough is useful skill in other respects also (Pasta, Pirogi, Wellington, Bread...). A rolling pin between some skewers will give you the best uniformity of crust thickness. It is a good skill to know.
Use good ingredients. Whole Milk cheese in any form is the best as it holds up to the heat needed to make a good pie. Remember Romano and Parmesan cheese are always salty. I only add them to finished pies.
I have a piece of Iron plate I use instead of a stone. I can use it in the oven or the Weber grill. I got it at the scrap yard for $1. Its a service cover from a switch on a Railroad track. A large cast iron pan will do the trick also. Butter or Lard works better then Olive oil and tastes better too. Veggies with high moisture should always be sauteed before you bake your pie. Make sure all your ingredients are room temperature also. Temperature bounce can ruin a pie. Take all your ingredients to the very edge of your dough. You can always clean your peel afterwards. Learn the FLICK.
Tuttorosso brand tomatoes are available everywhere. They are the best. Basil always goes on top of a pie. Fresh only. Garlic needs to be chopped finer then fine. Sardines in oil are better then Anchovies, because they overpower everything else. Let your pies rest after they are done. 10 minutes is fine. Pay attention. Set your oven at 600 degrees and use a thermometer to determine the actual oven or grill temperature. Most household ovens have a 50 degree bounce. Pay attention. Always use 1 rack in the oven you're using so you can safely reach into it if you have to. Only open the oven to put the pie in or take it out. Hormel pepperoni is garbage. Expensive ham is a waste of money on a pie. Putting weed on a raw pie is stupid. Don't be stupid.

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
dang dude... that looks incredible... now Im hungry for homemade pizze... dammit.

View attachment 140714

View attachment 140716

View attachment 140717

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
7655B6D1-AF47-4A0B-8DDD-41AE04BDC246.jpeg

Made my very first batch of dough today cause a buddy of mines coming for diner tm.
I obviously had to test it tonight, while Im drunk and because “scientific reasons”.
Dont want to take the risk of messing it up tm.

Made some fresh tomato sauce with fresh garlic and basil. Some salt and pepper and a tiny bit of herb de province.
Just topped it off with some mozzarella, spinach and chorizo.

Tastes absolutely beautiful..

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
View attachment 140794

Made my very first batch of dough today cause a buddy of mines coming for diner tm.
I obviously had to test it tonight, while Im drunk and because “scientific reasons”.
Dont want to take the risk of messing it up tm.

Made some fresh tomato sauce with fresh garlic and basil. Some salt and pepper and a tiny bit of herb de province.
Just topped it off with some mozzarella, spinach and chorizo.

Tastes absolutely beautiful..
Looks beautiful....

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I love making pizza at home. I should be a millionaire I tell you! My dad used to always set us up as kids and my buddies would come over. I always thought there should be a place like Subway for pizza. Fast forward like 10-15 years and whaddya know...

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Yes, excellent indeed. I shall be expecting homemade pizza trailside from @jonKranked and @jdcamb when I roll thru there this summer. Mmmmmm...
I have got very good at making the Weber a proper baking Oven. Just need to figure out the Dough thing and I can be portable. However you will be Hiking past Rumuntos in North Adams Mass. As you get close let me know so I can buy you a pie. Maybe I will meet you there. I cannot say now my friend. Jim.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I have got very good at making the Weber a proper baking Oven. Just need to figure out the Dough thing and I can be portable. However you will be Hiking past Rumuntos in North Adams Mass. As you get close let me know so I can buy you a pie. Maybe I will meet you there. I cannot say now my friend. Jim.
I've used my pizza stone on a propane grill with great results before.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I've used my pizza stone on a propane grill with great results before.
Have you transported it trail side to accommodate a pie for a weary traveler? Eastern PA. He may want to get Pork Roll and eggs. Eastern PA and New Jersey have some awesome Diners. If they have Corned Beef Hash and Eggs. Get That. Turkey and Bacon Clubs also.... Fries with Gravy... Pick him up. Take him to the Laundromat and feed him....

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I think I might need more yeast in my crust. It just doesn't rise enough and turns out a little dense. Recipe calls for 1 packet of yeast for 5.5 cups of flour. Maybe I'll try 1.5 next time.

It would also help if I could use something larger than a 7.5 x 11 baking sheet, but that's the largest that fits in my countertop oven.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I think I might need more yeast in my crust. It just doesn't rise enough and turns out a little dense. Recipe calls for 1 packet of yeast for 5.5 cups of flour. Maybe I'll try 1.5 next time.

It would also help if I could use something larger than a 7.5 x 11 baking sheet, but that's the largest that fits in my countertop oven.
do you add any sugar? a packet is what, 2 1/2 tsp?