Quantcast

i just bought a new bike.. how to maintain it??

iconic

Chimp
Feb 12, 2002
i did a search in this forum. it says for washing the bike, not to use the hose. this is because of the pressure might cause the water to get into the bearings/pivots ect? i've got a rigid bike, 2002 kona scab. so would it be that serious?

i've been concentrating on cleaning the chain. i use degreaser spray to degrease the chain. but this drips down into the bb area, is that bad?? should i cover the bb area when i degrease the chain next?

how should i clean the headset area? just try to wipe off the dirt on the outside?

how about the cables and shifters/deraillers? i read that you use the tri-flow drip bottle. where do you drip into?

oh how about the hubs? i take the wheels off the frame and get rid of the junk on the quick release stick..

thanks!

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Get a book. Zen and the Art of Mt bike Maintenance is a good one. You can also get a cd rom online for $30 called Break it, Ride it, Fix it. (or something like that). Go from there.

Bacardi

Monkey
Aug 16, 2002
Santa Barbara, CA
I would disagree with the lightly hosing a bike down ---- unless it is so muddy there is no other way. You can get water in the hubs while spraying, hasten oxidizing/corrosion of cables, sometimes where you might not see it.

I would opt for a damp rag to wipe off crap.

Torque all bolts to Manufacturer specs frequently.

If some degreaser is needed, ok spray some on (bottom bracket, chainrings, pulleys, whatever...) but try to wipe up and then dry it with a fan.

The book is a good idea but also talk a lot with the Mechanics at you LBS they'll have some insight too...

mutasmurf

Chimp
Feb 16, 2002
Bellingham, WA
Assuming you have a ht...

I would never spray a bike with water. Just use a damp cloth/towel. If you ride when it's raining, make sure you clean your bike after the ride. It's a good idea to keep your bike indoors also. Tighten bolts up once in awhile, check air pressure in tires before every ride, and your skewers will get loose, tighten those up. Some ppl carry an alenwrench set around, but it's not necessary (My steerer tube is slightly stripped out, so I have to have one on me).

You'll have to rebuild your hubs, headset, and other components once in awhile. Dust, and other unwanted particles can get into places you don't want. If you're using v-brakes/mech disks, you may want to lube the cables every month or so; shifter cables as well.

When rebuilding, make sure you remember the order of the components inside. Clean everything up such as bearings, axels, washers, regrease components, and put everything back into place.

Go to lbs, and get wheel(s) trued when you notice spoke tension is slack. If you wait till spokes are too loose, you may brake spokes. Or, you can just learn to true it yourself.

When cleaning drivetrain, clean your chainrings, cassette, derailure, and chain thoroughly. Then add a few drops of chain-fluid onto chain, spin cranks, and shift up and down gears.

Most of the stuff is not really hard, just time consuming. As long as you treat your bike well, the bike will return the favor.

I've been spraying down bikes forever. I rebuild them, too, so I'm sure it's okay. Just don't spray the bearings on purpose!

Have mud? Hit the down tube and top tube and stays with 50psi of full stream pressure. Blast that baby down!!

Have a little dirt? Mist/spray the whole bike down, sponge around with soap if you need to and then mist it to clean it off. This won't penetrate bearing seals any more than riding in the rain, and surely less than crossing a stream.

Just don't direct your jet or hard spray at the headset, bottom bracket, hubs or seatpost clamp. Be Smart. :monkey:

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
I just spray the bike off with a hose even at the bearings. My rear hope bulb hub self destructed a few days ago and had no water in it. Shimano rear hubs seam less well sealed on the side where the cogs are so you might want to be carefull spraying water there.

I never clean the whole bike just the critical parts.

After a while you will learn what will need cleaning and oiling and what doesn't.

For instance my sram jocky wheels are crap and need cleaning after a few rides (Jockey wheels are not good aplications for cartridge bearings).

I don't know about sus forks mine always break before they need anything doing to them.

Now its winter the chain needs cleaning after every off road ride as well as the chain rings.

You may need to pay attention to the cable housings as they will get gummed up after a while.

Most stuff will be happy with no attention. Buy a maitenace book and open up the hubs headset etc every 6 months or so and you should be ok.