Quantcast

I just can't go hard tail agen

Pulser955

Monkey
Oct 29, 2002
Outside Philly pa.
I got a KHS fxt Pro last year and I have bin loving It. So I go the old hard tail out last weak and cleaned it up put some new parts on it and took it for a ride. I cant believe how much I hated riding it. It’s is my old race bike Kline pulse race its 21 ½ lbs. I have always loved this bike now it looks like its just going to hang in my basement.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
i cant bring myself to go to fs. my friends that have it have just gotten lazy in the way they ride. what cant i say, it keeps me disiplined

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
I've been riding my HT Trek for the past 2 weeks while I wait for a new fork for my FS Kona. I can't believe how much fun it has been! It's all about the flow on a HT.... :dancing:

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Oh man... hardtails RULE! I love my full squish and all, but there's nothing like rolling through a nice trail on a hardtail. I'm debating about a better hardtail or a road bike as my next purchase.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
I call bs, a hardtail is the only way to keep it real on the trails. :rolleyes: Seriously though, I love the ride of a steel hardtail--it's a much better ride than my burner will ever be.

B

bigkonarider

I feel like i'm getting my nuts rattled sometimes w/ a hardtail..
You also get pintch flats easier & that really makes a ride go slightly more aggravating ..
Also you can sit on the seat at least 1/2 the time...
I just feel a single-pivot FS is better these day's..Even thought more weight..
I think you make that up in saving energy & not getting hammered around as much..
.02 :cool:

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
For the trails around here, I'd never buy a hardtail again, never. Those that believe they are slower except for the descents don't know. Except for dead smooth trails, full suspension is faster up and across and down. The body takes less beating so you can go longer.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
bigkonarider said:
I feel like i'm getting my nuts rattled sometimes w/ a hardtail..
You also get pintch flats easier & that really makes a ride go slightly more aggravating ..
Also you can sit on the seat at least 1/2 the time...
I just feel a single-pivot FS is better these day's..Even thought more weight..
I think you make that up in saving energy & not getting hammered around as much..
.02 :cool:
The sum of Efficiency + Comfort can be in inverse proportion to Fun in some cases. And all we ride for fun, not for efficiency or comfort (those non-racers among us, anyhow). Some of us just like HTs and that's all there is to it...me, I DH on one quite a bit...but I'm glad I have the big-travel bike in the stable, too.

If I was an XC racer, though, I'd be on some light, very short travel F/s frame.

MD

Pulser955

Monkey
Oct 29, 2002
Outside Philly pa.
reflux said:
I call bs, a hardtail is the only way to keep it real on the trails. :rolleyes: Seriously though, I love the ride of a steel hardtail--it's a much better ride than my burner will ever be.

Its true sad to say I just didn’t like the ride I felt like I was getting bounced off of every thing. I just couldn’t get it to go over big rocks and technical stuff any ware near as well as my full suspension. I know for a fact on the same lope at this park I’m faster on the full suspension and its 29lb compared to my 21lb hard tail. But I’m not giving up yet I think I’m going to put a shorter stem on it and a riser bar to make it more like the FS.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I fly faster on the downhills on my 22 lb Homegrown than on my friends DHed out Bullit. Sure it beats the hell out of me, but flowing on that hardtail is so much funner. With the Bullit you just run over everything...

Btw, I don't think I'll race on an FS for another ten years. And pinchys are just as easy with F/S...Or you can be cool and run tubeless. Whatever.

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
xbluethunderx said:
I fly faster on the downhills on my 22 lb Homegrown than on my friends DHed out Bullit. Sure it beats the hell out of me, but flowing on that hardtail is so much funner. With the Bullit you just run over everything...
some people just get lazy on FS bikes. they certainly make it easier to just sit back and run stuff over. i think too many people use long travel as a crutch, but who am i to judge? i'm saving for a dh bike!
i think full squish makes trails more fun and allows you to ride longer. i feel like on my Saber i can let the bike do more of the work and i like that. but hey, to each his own. just keep having fun.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
squarewheels said:
some people just get lazy on FS bikes. they certainly make it easier to just sit back and run stuff over. i think too many people use long travel as a crutch, but who am i to judge? i'm saving for a dh bike!
i think full squish makes trails more fun and allows you to ride longer. i feel like on my Saber i can let the bike do more of the work and i like that. but hey, to each his own. just keep having fun.

wurd:thumb:

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Pulser955 said:
Its true sad to say I just didn’t like the ride I felt like I was getting bounced off of every thing. I just couldn’t get it to go over big rocks and technical stuff any ware near as well as my full suspension. I know for a fact on the same lope at this park I’m faster on the full suspension and its 29lb compared to my 21lb hard tail. But I’m not giving up yet I think I’m going to put a shorter stem on it and a riser bar to make it more like the FS.
yeah, i'm just havin fun with you anyway. i'm glad to hear you're not giving up on the hardtail just yet. i guess in the end, it's still all about having fun and being comfortable.

Pulser955

Monkey
Oct 29, 2002
Outside Philly pa.
reflux said:
yeah, i'm just havin fun with you anyway. i'm glad to hear you're not giving up on the hardtail just yet. i guess in the end, it's still all about having fun and being comfortable.

No I don’t want to give up on it. We have a park here with a 30mille lop that’s mostly non technical. And it has a lot of vary long climbs the hard tail is still better for that kind of riding. But the 2 places I ride the most are all rocks and roots. My FS just works better in that stuff. I think if I shorten the stem and put a riser bar on it I can get it a lot more like my FS.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
I doubt I'll ever go back to ht. I appreciate the skills I learned on a ht. In fact, I intentially rode a rigid fork for 2 years before I bought a suspension fork, just to be a better rider. But I'm having way more fun now on my 4" travel fs then I ever have. If its all about fun, then fs is where its at for me :thumb:

Meat Foot

Monkey
Mar 24, 2004
On the asthenosphere
jacksonpt said:
Oh man... hardtails RULE! I love my full squish and all, but there's nothing like rolling through a nice trail on a hardtail. I'm debating about a better hardtail or a road bike as my next purchase.
It was cool riding my fully rigid On-One SS up in the hills outside of Corvallis, OR and hooking up with some other riders. It appeared as though I was from a different planet. It is hella fun down the single track too. As of late, I have been pretty much riding the steel fully rigid bike over the Ti HT with front sus. Sweet! :thumb: :thumb:

Mike

CrazyGambit

Chimp
Jul 30, 2004
Heart of Dixie..
Meat Foot said:
It was cool riding my fully rigid On-One SS up in the hills outside of Corvallis, OR and hooking up with some other riders. It appeared as though I was from a different planet. It is hella fun down the single track too. As of late, I have been pretty much riding the steel fully rigid bike over the Ti HT with front sus. Sweet! :thumb: :thumb:

Mike
i used to have a blast in the corvallis area. I am originally from eugene but have been in the south for the past five years... man i miss the pnw..anyone remember when switchblades were the coolist fork lol ... rigid is long gone.. Steel is still real... even though my 99 homegrown is aluminum, it is so sweet so light so responsive. i still find my self thinking of the bridgestone MB1 i always wanted and never got.. No mater what i love a hardtail. i wont go back to a ridgid though..

Pulser955

Monkey
Oct 29, 2002
Outside Philly pa.
mark_kendrick said:
I really want a new FS. I had a Cdale super-v and got rid of it 6 yrs ago. I'm a better rider for it. My CAAD3 HT rocks but I really want a prophet.

I know how to flow but there are times when the flow is rough and a FS would really be nice. I just really have to be able to climb too.

I feel like i've accomplishd something after a good climb. DH is more like falling off a rock :thumb:
I actually climb better with a good FS then on my hard tail. Most of the places I ride have short technical climbs ware FS is a big help.

My Stumpy hardtail was the absolute best climber of any bike I've ever owned. But when it comes to having fun, I have the most fun on my Tracer. It's all about the fun factor. I dont race, and weight isnt a big thing to me. So I go with my FS and we are linked at the cosmic level when we're together. (sniff sniff) Its a beautiful thing...

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
oldfart said:
For the trails around here, I'd never buy a hardtail again, never. Those that believe they are slower except for the descents don't know. Except for dead smooth trails, full suspension is faster up and across and down. The body takes less beating so you can go longer.
I'm with you. I have my old 23 1/2 lb Ti XC race bike, and it's my commuter bike now. Duals rule.