Quantcast

I just got Honed!

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
:)
Wow, what a great innovation, the external bearing BB. They feel much better than my rounded out Truvativ Hasselhoffs and crappy BB I had. Look real neat too.

The LBS got me for a new tool, but no big deal. They happened to have the rebuild kit for my pike in stock too, real cheap. Not a bad trip.

Now that Im finished putting it all back together, Im going to eat some more Totinos Pizza rolls without washing my hands.

J

JRB

That's pretty impressive that they had a pike kit. Why rebuild it though??? Have you ridden it long???

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
loco said:
That's pretty impressive that they had a pike kit. Why rebuild it though??? Have you ridden it long???
I have had it almost a year. Just maintaining the thing. Dont want it to start spraying oil everywhere and further contaminating my brake pads.

BTW, nail polish remover is AWESOME for decontamination if it isnt too bad.

J

JRB

BurlyShirley said:
I have had it almost a year. Just maintaining the thing. Dont want it to start spraying oil everywhere and further contaminating my brake pads.

BTW, nail polish remover is AWESOME for decontamination if it isnt too bad.
Brake parts cleaner on a rag is great for discs. If you have the pads out, spraying them with it helps a lot too.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
I just got 9th degree burns all over my face and neck as a Totino's pizza roll just exploded molten pizza sauce everywhere. ****!

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
stinkyboy said:
Karma for buying ****ty cranks...

:rolleyes:
What's ****ty about them? Too heavy? Not strong enough? Feel stiffer than hussefelts and definitely lighter. Cost $160.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
BurlyShirley said:
What's ****ty about them? Too heavy? Not strong enough? Feel stiffer than hussefelts and definitely lighter. Cost $160.
They're just LX's. I wouldn't feel comfortable bombing on them, but I'm a big boy. I was glad to be rid of my Hussefelts too...

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
stinkyboy said:
They're just LX's. I wouldn't feel comfortable bombing on them, but I'm a big boy. I was glad to be rid of my Hussefelts too...
Yeah, I know they're LXs. Isnt that exactly the same as XT only with less material taken away for weight savings? Is XT just lighter crap?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Better make sure your BB shell is faced before you mash on them too much. You'll toast the bearings in no time otherwise.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
syadasti said:
Better make sure your BB shell is faced before you mash on them too much. You'll toast the bearings in no time otherwise.
Not faced, and dont care.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
johnbryanpeters said:
LX and XT both work fine. Screw the component snobs.
Oh, I know. Ive run XT cranks for a long time. DH'd and everything on them and never had an issue. Im just prodding for weak points in arguments at this point.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
johnbryanpeters said:
I do believe in facing the bottom bracket, if only to get the paint/powder coat off. Bearings care about ten-thousandths of an inch...

What the hell, if you toast 'em, you can face the BB next time...
thats what i said. They arent expensive. Screw it.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
BurlyShirley said:
If I bend them, Ill gladly eat crow right in the lounge and say stinkyboy knew better all along.
Hopefully that won't happen, but wipe the sauce off ya and get out there and bomb!

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
stinkyboy said:
I've seen the photos of you "jumping". You sure you're in the right place?
Hey dumbass, you're whining that LX cranks suck. Maybe if you run them on a dedicated downhill bike they will fold, but somehow I doubt that most users will trash them, unless they're 400 pounds bombing down trails all day at whistler.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
robdamanii said:
Hey dumbass, you're whining that LX cranks suck. Maybe if you run them on a dedicated downhill bike they will fold, but somehow I doubt that most users will trash them, unless they're 400 pounds bombing down trails all day at whistler.
The Go-ride DH team runs XT (even prior to the external BB setup) on their DH race bikes...

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
yeah, how many people here have actually broken a crank? I have had race face prodigy xc's for fr/dh for like 2 years. No flex, no funny noises, no problems whatsoever. no i'm not a huge guy and I don't throw massive drops, but neither do most people I suspect. no reason to lug 5 lbs of cromo up to the top of the mountain with me if I can avoid it.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
I bent a set of Prodigy XC's on my XC bike. I don't even do very big drops on my DH bike but I do weigh more than most people.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
syadasti said:
Question: How/why do the bearings get toasted when the BB shell isn't faced?

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Ciaran said:
Question: How/why do the bearings get toasted when the BB shell isn't faced?
Because the uneven surfaces of a bottom bracket shell that hasn't been faced put undue stress on the bearings-the bearings are not perfectly parallel and thus can bind.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Dogboy said:
Because the uneven surfaces of a bottom bracket shell that hasn't been faced put undue stress on the bearings-the bearings are not perfectly parallel and thus can bind.

Yah twisting and loading the bearings from non parallel bearings.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Dogboy said:
If there's enough crap in the BB threads to cause the cups to go in at an angle of sorts wouldn't that be enough crap to prevent installation? In my limited (very limited) experience the threads of a BB shell are pretty darn fine. I've never taken a frame in to be faced but I do clean them really well and use a little grease.

I'm wondering if these failures aren't caused by a combination of things like the shell not being faced AND over tightening of the BB. :think:

Just some thoughts, like I said my experience is limited. Thanks for the info!

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Ciaran said:
If there's enough crap in the BB threads to cause the cups to go in at an angle of sorts wouldn't that be enough crap to prevent installation? In my limited (very limited) experience the threads of a BB shell are pretty darn fine. I've never taken a frame in to be faced but I do clean them really well and use a little grease.

I'm wondering if these failures aren't caused by a combination of things like the shell not being faced AND over tightening of the BB. :think:

Just some thoughts, like I said my experience is limited. Thanks for the info!
Well if BS was using a used frame, it would probably already have been chased by the last user (or at least somewhat clean from a BB being used in it before). You are suppose to chase and face a frame before installing any BB if you want to follow the recommended steps. Its much more important for external BB cranks though since they align on the outer face.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
syadasti said:
Well if BS was using a used frame, it would probably already have been chased by the last user (or at least somewhat clean from a BB being used in it before). You are suppose to chase and face a frame before installing any BB if you want to follow the recommended steps. Its much more important for external BB cranks though since they align on the outer face.
Ah HAH! That makes mucho sense!

Thanks again. You have taught me somthing about bikes. :thumb:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Ciaran said:
Ah HAH! That makes mucho sense!

Thanks again. You have taught me somthing about bikes. :thumb:
Some higher quality mountain and road frames do come faced and chased at the factory every place (BB, head tube-for HS bearing alignment) and seat tube properly reamed (so your seatpost fits and doesn't scratch the hell out of your post). I doubt few if any companies face disc tabs on frames or forks. Some disc brakes have issues due to lack of alignment and Hope and some other various companies have tools to face the disc tabs too. I suppose if the powercoat was thick you could have to face the dropouts but over time hubs tend to bite in and eat the extra paint off but alignment issues can cause problems so you might have to at least bend them into alignment (park makes a tool for this).

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Shimano makes awesome cranks as far as weight/strength ratio goes. XT cranks were super light and held up to a lot of crap. I haven't tried/seen the new style XTs but the old style ones with the Octalink BB were fantastic.

J

JRB

BB and head tube were not faced on my Reign frameset, but the disc tabs were.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
binary visions said:
Shimano makes awesome cranks as far as weight/strength ratio goes. XT cranks were super light and held up to a lot of crap. I haven't tried/seen the new style XTs but the old style ones with the Octalink BB were fantastic.
The XT external BB cranks are one of the best products that I have used. I raced them all year on my DH bike. In a year in which I cracked a frame, blew up wheels, and lost a couple derrailluers, the XT cranks held up all year.
I am now putting them on my slalom/trail bike I am building.:)
Light and strong.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Jeremy R said:
The XT external BB cranks are one of the best products that I have used. I raced them all year on my DH bike. In a year in which I cracked a frame, blew up wheels, and lost a couple derrailluers, the XT cranks held up all year.
I am now putting them on my slalom/trail bike I am building.:)
Light and strong.
I really need to ride harder and faster. I'm not breaking nearly enough parts. :D

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
robdamanii said:
:stupid:

My LX's are damn nice for the price.
LX's are Nice, I ran the older LX cranks, and XT cranks for years and really couldn't see or feel much of a difference between them. If they held up to me when I weighed 225, on the terrain out here I'd bless them for anything short of full blown freeride.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
Reactor said:
LX's are Nice, I ran the older LX cranks, and XT cranks for years and really couldn't see or feel much of a difference between them. If they held up to me when I weighed 225, on the terrain out here I'd bless them for anything short of full blown freeride.
Howabout XTRs? Any noticable difference in stiffness, or are you just saving half a pound in weight?