Quantcast

I know my bike is small for me, but do I really need a bigger one?

RideFour15

Chimp
Apr 4, 2005
East Taunton, MA
My bike is a 1998 Kona Fire Mountain with an 18" frame, which I believe is the equivelant to a 17" for most companies. I'm 19 and 6'2", so when I bought it roughly 6 years ago I was significantly shorter, and the bike was big for me; I bought it because I knew I could grow into it.

Well this year I'm getting more into mountain biking since I have numerous friends that now ride it too. I already bought new forks for it (RS Judy SL), and have been planning to upgrade to a 9 speed setup. Nothing spectacular, but something like Shimano Deore. Derailleur, shifter, cheap back wheel, and cassette wouldn't put me much over $200 if I played my cards right (not necessarily with Deore, I haven't priced that out).

Well back to the point. The frame is small for me, I have been told it even looks small for me, but I'm not exactly in a position to just go out and get a new bike, and anything in the budget I'd like to have would be a downgrade to me for the bike I already have. But what's weird to me is that, maybe it's because I've had and loved it for so long, but it doesn't feel akward riding it.

The only problem I have on the bike is the sometimes my neck and back hurt because I'm stretched out so much, or am leaning low compared to my ass on the seat. I considered riser bars, but after talking to someone at the LBS he said it would help a bit, but not completely. So I'm even thinking maybe the combo of a shorter stem and higher bars would help, at least to elevate my upper body.

I'm not a hardcore XC rider, I ride a few times a week if I'm lucky (I'm more of a BMXer anyways), and don't race. I'm thinking right now that if I got a new bar/stem combo, I'd feel better. I love the feel of my bike already, it's so comfortable and I can handle it so well.

Would a new bike really be worth it, spending $600 or more (anything less feels like a downgrade) instead of just trying to play with what I have. The bar/stem combo would cost me less than $50 since I plan on getting just sale parts, weight doesn't matter much to me at this point. I planned on putting roughly $200 into the bike anyways for the 9 speed upgrade, should I put that towards a new bike instead? I know either way I'll be upgrading parts as time goes on, so is a new bike worth the investment?

Sorry for the long post, I felt like being kind of elaborate.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
RideFour15 said:
My bike is a 1998 Kona Fire Mountain with an 18" frame, which I believe is the equivelant to a 17" for most companies. I'm 19 and 6'2", so when I bought it roughly 6 years ago I was significantly shorter, and the bike was big for me; I bought it because I knew I could grow into it.
You absolutely do *NOT* need to buy a new bike. Try some fit options like you mentioned. Just ride it until you can't tolerate it, or you just *want* a new bike. :D

I'd recommend against spending a bunch of cash on a 9-speed setup. It's really no different than the 8-speed in the end..........

-S.S.-

RideFour15

Chimp
Apr 4, 2005
East Taunton, MA
SkaredShtles said:
You absolutely do *NOT* need to buy a new bike. Try some fit options like you mentioned. Just ride it until you can't tolerate it, or you just *want* a new bike. :D

I'd recommend against spending a bunch of cash on a 9-speed setup. It's really no different than the 8-speed in the end..........

-S.S.-
To be honest I don't really want a new bike. I can more than tolerate it, I still love it! Just not sure if a bigger one would feel even better.

As for the 9speed upgrade: I'm running a 7speed setup now, and have had nothing but problems with it. I've had two different shops tweak it and set it up, still runs like crap (can we swear here?). Plus I like the gear ratios of a 9sp versus the current 7sp I have now, the difference are too much among cogs.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
RideFour15 said:
To be honest I don't really want a new bike. I can more than tolerate it, I still love it! Just not sure if a bigger one would feel even better.

As for the 9speed upgrade: I'm running a 7speed setup now, and have had nothing but problems with it. I've had two different shops tweak it and set it up, still runs like crap (can we swear here?). Plus I like the gear ratios of a 9sp versus the current 7sp I have now, the difference are too much among cogs.
Hmmm...... 7 to 9 might be a worthy upgrade........

-S.S.-

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
RideFour15 said:
The only problem I have on the bike is the sometimes my neck and back hurt because I'm stretched out so much, or am leaning low compared to my ass on the seat.
Actually, I would venture to guess that your neck and back hurt because of the opposite. With an 18" Kona frame and you being 6' 2" tall, the cockpit is way too cramped, which is causing you to hunch over too much. For XC, you'll be more comfortable stretched out a bit more. If I were you (and I've been in your situation), I'd try a longer stem/riser bar combo.

I'm 6' even and have a '94 18" Kona Lava Dome. My back would ache after riding until I bought a longer stem. Being stretched out a bit more eliminated the pain.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
17 is a small medium. if your 6'2 Id say yeah its probably a bit short for ya. But if you like it, so what, unless it's hurting you.

NOTE: I'm 6' and I ride a 19"er and I think its perfect.

IMO dont go to 9 speed if you already are set up with 8. 9 speed is inferior with regard to reliability and 1 more gear doesnt do crap for you. I wish I still had my 8 speed setup. VIVA LE 8

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
golgiaparatus said:
17 is a small medium. if your 6'2 Id say yeah its probably a bit short for ya. But if you like it, so what.

NOTE: I'm 6' and I ride a 19"er and I think its perfect.

IMO dont go to 9 speed if you already are set up with 8. 9 speed is inferior with regard to reliability and 1 more gear doesnt do crap for you. I wish I still had my 8 speed setup.
He's running 7 speed........

-S.S.-

RideFour15

Chimp
Apr 4, 2005
East Taunton, MA
pixelninja said:
Actually, I would venture to guess that your neck and back hurt because of the opposite. With an 18" Kona frame and you being 6' 2" tall, the cockpit is way too cramped, which is causing you to hunch over too much. For XC, you'll be more comfortable stretched out a bit more. If I were you (and I've been in your situation), I'd try a longer stem/riser bar combo.

I'm 6' even and have a '94 18" Kona Lava Dome. My back would ache after riding until I bought a longer stem. Being stretched out a bit more eliminated the pain.
Well my stem always felt a bit long to me, and my neck hurts when I lean forward sitting down and have to look upwards. Although it doesn't hurt when I stand up . Hmph.

I think either way if I'm going to try to change things up a bit I need riser bars. 1.5" or 2"?

And also, would it be possible to fit a 9sp cassette on my current wheel that has a 7sp cassette? I always assumed each size cassette needed a specific sized hub.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
RideFour15 said:
And also, would it be possible to fit a 9sp cassette on my current wheel that has a 7sp cassette? I always assumed each size cassette needed a specific sized hub.
8 and 9 are the same, but you will need a new hub to move up from 7 sp.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
RideFour15 said:
Well my stem always felt a bit long to me, and my neck hurts when I lean forward sitting down and have to look upwards. Although it doesn't hurt when I stand up . Hmph.

I think either way if I'm going to try to change things up a bit I need riser bars. 1.5" or 2"?
You can also get a stem with more rise to help. I doubt you need a shorter stem.

I find it most comfortable to have my bars even with the top of seat, but I'm an old man.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
dh girlie said:
Hmmm...

AHAHAHAA! man...I'm just slayin me today!

but if you REALLY want to post a pic...

wow and to think there was a time when you thought i was bad.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Meh, I'm 6'1ish and I ride on a medium (I believe it's an 18 inch) for XC racing with a short top tube...I just love little bikes...crank up the seatpost and I'm set.

Definently go about upgrading the 7 speed, if it is affordable.

If you're a BMXer, a small bike might feel more comfortable to you anyway...

RideFour15

Chimp
Apr 4, 2005
East Taunton, MA
Wumpus said:
I find it most comfortable to have my bars even with the top of seat, but I'm an old man.
That's how I used to do it, but my legs got longer and my seat's higher now.

I'm thinking new bars are in order. Anyone have any suggestions for bars, 1.5-2" of rise, less than $50? Preferably on sale :D

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
dh girlie said:
Hmmm...

AHAHAHAA! man...I'm just slayin me today!

but if you REALLY want to post a pic...
Congrats, you've just derailled another good thread with something hilarious.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Here is a slight more useful but less funny image:

According to Kona, you could be riding a 19"-21" frame, depending on your inseam. I am guessing you are a 20".

You could slap on a longer stem with a higher rise, but with probably 10 inches of seatpost sticking out and potentially a 14cm stem, you are better off with a bigger frame to elevate your bars without slowing down your handling (longer stem means slower handling).

RideFour15

Chimp
Apr 4, 2005
East Taunton, MA
I just measured my seat/stem to see where they were, and the stem was only about 3/4" lower than the seat at the new height. The seat is significantly higher than is used to be, so I guess I'm used to the bars higher and didn't even realize it. I'm gonna check out some higher bars tomorrow.