Quantcast

I live..

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Next to a bar. At night it is mostly young folks being young folks. No problem but the smokers have to smoke outside and they yell and scream at each other and generally talk real loud. It keeps me up at night so my friend a sound engineer showed me a trick. I put a set of portable speakers in the window pointed at the bar and play this: http://graphics.nytimes.com/packages/audio/nyregion/20060610_RINGTONE.mp3

After 5 minutes they all leave and it is quiet. I now sleep/live in peace. I can't hear it. But when I start playing it I can hear them piss and moan about it..

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I can hear it amazingly enough, kind of makes me feel like my heads gonna explode. Given that I spend most of my time around jet aircraft, I'm happy I can still hear anything.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Is this the tone that people of a certain age are supposed to not hear?
Yes, and I can hear it painfully well at my ripe old age of 28. I hate walking into rooms where a CRT is turned on as they give off that same high-frequency whine.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Yes, and I can hear it painfully well at my ripe old age of 28. I hate walking into rooms where a CRT is turned on as they give off that same high-frequency whine.
A friend would not notice when he did that, I could hear it across the house.

:rant:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Definitely heard it. Do you play it all night long?

Just as needed. It would work better if I had a better speaker. Anchor Powered speakers are not known for thier frequency range. I have some Cerwin Vegas on loan that I need to get back..... I could cover the whole neighborhood with them....

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Just as needed. It would work better if I had a better speaker. Anchor Powered speakers are not known for thier frequency range. I have some Cerwin Vegas on loan that I need to get back..... I could cover the whole neighborhood with them....
Considering the application you just need to pick up some horn tweeters, no enclosure necessary.

Amazon.com: PYLE PDBT18 3.75-Inch Aluminum Bullet Titanium Horn…@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/412PPA5TS6L.@@AMEPARAM@@412PPA5TS6L

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
My dog certainly hears it. He seems to confused whether it is something he should try to kill or run away from.

S.n.a.k.e.

Monkey
Mar 12, 2003
N. Tonawanda, NY
Jim,

The tweeter Westy posted would work great. Get an old 150 watt amp and wire it up to four of them placed on the sill. You could then put a sound detector, and when the kids acheive a certain volume play the ringtone for 5 minutes. It would work even when you arent around.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I would just play some Journey or Styx if I wanted to get rid of you...
..set an open course...
for the virgin seas
cause I've got to be free
free to face the life
that's ahead of me
on board I'm the captain
so climb aboard
we'll search for tomorrow
on every shore

and I'll try, oh lord I'll try
to carry on...........
:offtopic:
I can sing every lyric of every song on that blasted album. My parents were 2nd shift rockers with a penchant for debauchery well into the night. And the paper thin wood panel walls of the doublewide trailer didn't help either. :rockout:

I may be one of only a select few to say I've seen Dennis DeYoung raise out of the floor on a white piano playing "Lady".

My greater claim to random concert mockery....seeing Molly Hatchet play, but not with the original lead singer, the laughable guy from the 3rd album.

Greatest random "my paren't favorite" bands moment: Watching a haggard, drunken, staggering Jim Dandy of Black Oak Arkansas do a split off the drum kit in knee high wolf fur boots.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
well it started out fairly soft, whihc is why i took my ear plugs out. it gradually got louder, and we were right next to the stage left PA...by the time i put 'em back in it was too late. loud buzzing/ringing and general ear weirdness for ~48 hr afterwards, and then it receded.

some music definitely needs to be loud, though. but the mix is a crucial part.

my bloody valentine had the loudest show by far...totally crushing, like my eyes were moving and my chest was getting pounded.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
well it started out fairly soft, whihc is why i took my ear plugs out. it gradually got louder, and we were right next to the stage left PA...by the time i put 'em back in it was too late. loud buzzing/ringing and general ear weirdness for ~48 hr afterwards, and then it receded.

some music definitely needs to be loud, though. but the mix is a crucial part.

my bloody valentine had the loudest show by far...totally crushing, like my eyes were moving and my chest was getting pounded.
I've been to a few otherwise brilliant shows that weren't very enjoyable because they were painfully loud. Maybe I just wasn't drunk enough.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
the name of tinnitus photography isn't just a coincidence.

the funny thing is, do you know the band who really doled out the most damage?
Wilco. no lie.
before nils cline or after?

i've never been to a bad sounding show by them.