Quantcast

I Look Forward to

bitingback

Turbo Monkey
the day i can ride without massive bruises, cuts or injuries at the end of a ride. today's ride was frustrating as all hell.

my buddies wanted to take me on the harder loops of the local trail. they said they were fine with me walking a large part of it. so off we went...a group of 6 of us. everyone was pretty much of the same skill level except for myself and one other guy.

this particular loop of trail was a b*tch to say the least. though i was told i rode 85% of the trail...it FELT like i rode 2%. there were a ton of steep dips, 2 kick *ss creek crossings and areas where even the slightest failure meant you were falling off into the gorge.

i rode what i could. walked what i needed to. got to a dip that was steep, at the bottom was a land bridge and then a steep incline back up the other side. one by one each rider swooped down, over and up making it look easy. without really looking at it i gave it my best effort. got down and over the bridge but because i continue to ride my brakes, i had little momentum to carry me up the steep incline on the other side. i found myself at a stand still half way up the incline right next to a tree. the tree was causing it difficulty to get off the bike and because of the incline, i lost control over the bike. the bike and gravity pushed me on my back and down the incline off into the brush. i landed on my back off the side of the trail tangled up in brush and bike. i was pinned without being able to get up. the angle of my fall had me with my head lower than my body and unable to pull myself up. my buddies came rushing to my rescue. once the bike was off me and i was helped up...i took a moment to regain my composure. my ankle was sore as hell...having twisted it when the bike fell on top of me. but i shook it off and continued to ride. about 15 more minutes of riding we had to stop for one of the riders who broke his chain while crossing the creek. while everyone was stopped to see what had happened, i looked down and realized that my ankle was black and blue and swollen beyond the point of recognition.

rode back to my buddie's house with his son who broke the chain and there my ride ended. i was only on the bike for maybe 45 minutes...had only done 2 loops and now my ride was over.

it sucked. clearly i was over my head and i've learned that i have to just say no to riding sh*t that i'm not ready for. this ride did NOTHING to boost my confidence in riding these trails.

now i'm home with a severly swollen ankle...my guess is it's between a 1st degree or 2nd degree sprain. and it looks like i won't be riding anytime this week. all day i've been icing and elevating but the swelling still hasn't gone down.

i feel very defeated today.

bitingback

Turbo Monkey
i DO consider myself lucky...especially when a seasoned racer chic got hurt FAR worse than on on the same trail...at a section where i was about to try but then my brain kicked in and said...how's that ridable. sure enough...it's really NOT. the trail goes around it but apparently it was the older way to go and though deteriorated people still walk it and ride it. while i was getting pizza she was helped to my buddy's house to await 911. broken wrist.

so i consider myself lucky. just expressin my frustration in a ride. *whine over*

thebornotaku

Monkey
May 19, 2008
Northern Bay Area
I feel you.

There's a local trail and it has three challenges. One is the gaps in the trail that your wheel might fall into, get pinched, go flat and send you flying. Two is one specific turn where on your left is a big rock and on your right is a 3ft drop, with barbed wire about 2ft from the base. The third is fork, left hand path keeps you on the high road, turns right, and ends the trail at a road. right hand path dips down gradually about 3ft then comes up and forms a jump that crosses over the trail, just before the end.

The jump itself isn't hard, but it is really surprising when somebody comes up from behind you and takes the jump after you didn't and they almost hit you.

On that one turn, if you don't lean in far enough, your pedal/foot will hit the rock and you will fall. if you lean too much, you will fall and probably land in the barbed wire fence.

the wheel pinching/going flying is pretty self explanatory I think.

tl;dr: mountain biking is difficult and dangerous, it's one of the prices way pay for our fun. =/

Lady Gravity

Chimp
Jul 1, 2004
Mtnbike Mecca
the day i can ride without massive bruises, cuts or injuries at the end of a ride. today's ride was frustrating as all hell.
w3rd to that, even if you CAN ride a trail some days are just off and nothing can be done about it. i'm off with a separated shoulder after crashing on a section of trail that i've ridden before, just was having an off day and picked the wrong line.

i hear you about riding trails within your level however. every time i have issues with something difficult, i figure i should sell my bike. then i ride something i'm comfortable with, and i change my mind LOL go figure.

i figure i look better with bruises than without :D

Wee Ninja

Chimp
Apr 15, 2006
Sunny sunny Scotland
it sucked. clearly i was over my head and i've learned that i have to just say no to riding sh*t that i'm not ready for. this ride did NOTHING to boost my confidence in riding these trails.
I've been confusing ability with ambition for the past 4 years! Two of which have been spent out of action due to injuries. Probably doesn't help that all the guys I've got to ride with are very experienced, and being the only girl (and pretty stubborn) it makes me ride everything they do...often resulting in many bumps and bruises. The positive side to this is that my pale Scottish complexion looks far more interesting/colourful!!

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
if anybody asks about the bruises, you just tell them you "fell down the stairs" and everything is fine at home........
hahahahaha Bitingback, do it!

That happens. Just keep riding what you're comfortable with and push yourself when you're sure you can do it.

Last edited:

bitingback

Turbo Monkey
if anybody asks about the bruises, you just tell them you "fell down the stairs" and everything is fine at home........
hahahahaha Bitingback, do it!
are you kidding...with my neck the way it is (although it's been healing up nicely) and all the bruises on my legs and arms and now the ankle...sh*t i could easily pass for an attempted murder victim. :biggrin:

thanks everyone for the words of encouragement. i figured most of you have all felt the same at one point in time or another. i would imagine you NEVER get to a level where you can't challenge yourself and suck at it until you get it right.

i have no choice now to stay off the bike...and my foot...for the next few days and hope that it wasn't too severe that maybe i can get on a ride later this week.

and NO BS...i'm not trying shuffleboard. that's for old ladies. :weee:

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Go find this copy somewhere and read it cover to cover.

Some consider it an honor to be injured. Injuries show one of 2 things IMO,

1. You are pushing your limits and trying to get better at something physically challenging

2. You are too stupid to know when to surrender.

Both describe me and most other MTBers I know. heal up, then saddle up.

bitingback

Turbo Monkey
seems a lady took a digger tonight at RCP...wonder if it was BB.
wasn't me dustin...i was actually icing my ankle all day/night. I'm hoping to ride RCP this Wednesday for the wed night right.

Go find this copy somewhere and read it cover to cover.

Some consider it an honor to be injured. Injuries show one of 2 things IMO,

1. You are pushing your limits and trying to get better at something physically challenging

2. You are too stupid to know when to surrender.

Both describe me and most other MTBers I know. heal up, then saddle up.

what issue is that X3? i plan to saddle up this week if i can.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
As long as you know why you fell, what you did wrong, and what you need to do better next time, each fall is a learning experience. Nobody here gets better without falling. Don't let one rough ride discourage you. Even though you might think it was a bad ride, your body and muscles are learning how to handle that stuff despite your mind telling you it was a defeat.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Getting in over your head is a great way to advance your skills but there is a fine line where it becomes dangerous to your safety. Depending on your medical coverage I say find that line & ride it like Large Marge.

knittingfiend

Monkey
Jun 13, 2008
A tick north of Seattle
My sympathies......I've had plenty of days "in over my head", as I learned to ride from and with a bunch of guys WAY better than me. As are "off days". :twitch:
Baboon is right, your muscle memory is growing in leaps and bounds.... but it doesn't help you feel better in the moment....
Heal up fast and get back to having fun!