Quantcast

I need a flat clear acrylic lacquer

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Autozone no longer sells it...only glossy. Needs to be flat-ish, maybe satin...light reflection bad. Anyone know where I could order it from? None of the hardware stores seem to have it...frosted glass stuff almost produces the desire effect, but the finish is far too gritty.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
Local auto body and paint stores might have what you need

Art stores have something called "workable fixatiff" that seems to leave a flat finish as well but is not very durable

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Embalming your dead girlfriend?

If you order online, you may have to go ground shipping on it because of the pressurized cylinder. Might take a while, so if you need it fast, hunt around.
Close...

Yeah, can't ship aerosol air, it would be ground. I'm in no "rush", but it would be nice to have.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Got some matte lacquer from Michaels. Too shiny. Dammit. I may combine it and the frosted glass stuff to see what happens...I'm trying to replicate something.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Got some matte lacquer from Michaels. Too shiny. Dammit. I may combine it and the frosted glass stuff to see what happens...I'm trying to replicate something.
What are you trying to do? My matte finish is about as matte as they come.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Ummm...respraying an ID card. :D

Parts of the original lacquer peeled off with time, it doesn't bond well to the plastic but looks the best. However, the original lacquer used was purchased from Autozone, and I don't think they stock it anymore. Needs to have almost no light reflection at all, that's how flat/matte it needs to get.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS

Parts of the original lacquer peeled off with time, it doesn't bond well to the plastic but looks the best. However, the original lacquer used was purchased from Autozone, and I don't think they stock it anymore. Needs to have almost no light reflection at all, that's how flat/matte it needs to get.
I f*#king love when people aren't who they say they are.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch

Have you tried Mod Podge. It's a glue sealer that you can get in matte. It's Matte, but I still think it might be too shiny for an ID. What about super fine sand paper? You should be able to buff it down.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
you might have to go to an automotive paint shopto have the colors matched.

else, you might try dupont acrylic clear and play with the buffing grit.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Have you tried Mod Podge. It's a glue sealer that you can get in matte. It's Matte, but I still think it might be too shiny for an ID. What about super fine sand paper? You should be able to buff it down.
I do have some 600 and 800 grit lying around, maybe I'll try that...

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
ohhh, an ID card.

spray with matte finish
wait till very slightly tacky
dab with lint free dvd wipes
You sound experienced. I'll also have to try this. :D

It helps having a wealth of old high school/college ID cards lying around to experiment on...

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
I don't know if your joking or not but if that is you it might be a stretch to pass for 18 let alone 26.
i'm just going to throw out a wild guess here, i could be wrong, but i'm going to ask it anyways. you haven't seen superbad, have you?