Quantcast

I need a freakin FR bike

ROTFLMAO

Monkey
Nov 17, 2007
Maumee, Ohio
I'm looking for more of a slopestyle frame like a bottlerocket but could go with something bigger like a dirtbag.Where are the best places to look for a good deal? I need a small frame to start at least. I'd like to find a swingin deal on a Transition or something similar. I have a budget of about $1500 to start but I want to get as many pieces as possible with that without skimping on the frame. If I could pick up a used frame and fork with the $1500 I'd be geeked. Anyone seen any deals like that around?

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
by small frame, do you mean size or travel or both?

i may be unloading my transition bottlerocket and 36VanR soon. i'd give ya a swingin' deal :spam:

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
I scored a complete, mint condition, Trek Session 77 on ebay last winter for $900. I've seen a couple others go in the $1200 range.
AWESOME freeride machines, IMO.

ROTFLMAO

Monkey
Nov 17, 2007
Maumee, Ohio
Those are good suggestions, I'll have to check on the sizing of the sx to see if a medium will fit.

I think I'd like to pick up a complete bike for $1000 so that I can rebuild my DJ'er too with a new fork and wheels.

The other bikes I have my eye on are:
Eastern26 slash 5" coil, seems like nobody knows about these.
IH Yazuka Ojiki at randall scott
Yurosheck's Faith 2, gotta be the nicest of these choices but might be too much travel(?)

ROTFLMAO

Monkey
Nov 17, 2007
Maumee, Ohio
Crap, this sucks. I really don't want to skimp on the slash and the Ojiki just to have a complete.

I am going to scour the earth for a good deal on a Bottlerocket frame or pick up one of the dirtbags. Had an offer on a used BR frame with seatpost and a few other little pieces for $1300 which seams pretty high since the new frame costs about that.

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
Go & look for one of the original freeride frames.>Santa Cruz BULLIT .
You can get one for a good deal if you look around.It's beefy & will do anything you want depending on your build.
Good geometry for DH with a tall fork.
Fun for 4x style with a light build & 130mm fork.
Even good on the trail.It's very plush compared to a short travel FS frame.

ROTFLMAO

Monkey
Nov 17, 2007
Maumee, Ohio
Gotta say, I do like the faith. My only hangups with it are, frame size is a medium and I'm 5'8", I like a bike that I can throw around and with the frame design on this I'm worried that the standover and seat height will be less than ideal.

ROTFLMAO

Monkey
Nov 17, 2007
Maumee, Ohio
Fer cereal! If your riding involves very little sitting and pedaling why would you want the seat 3" below your dangly bits? It's similar to trying to throw a table on a road frame LOL.

Having said that, the that faith is still the best value I've found.

ROTFLMAO

Monkey
Nov 17, 2007
Maumee, Ohio
Well I guess now that I think about it I'm really looking for more of a slopestyle bike. between 4-6 inches of travel, low TT, Low BB etc.

ROTFLMAO

Monkey
Nov 17, 2007
Maumee, Ohio
well, here's what I have in mind now...at least for within the next ten minutes until I change my mind again.
Duncon Akita

Used Turner Rail Complete If I can find one

Brodie Nemesis (on closeout trough Brodie)

El Gordo

Monkey
Aug 15, 2007
Vernon, NJ
Not a Faith fan you can get them for cheap, but like was said dont like the way it pedals and if your looking for a all out FR bike I would go Bottle Rocket or a Dirtbag they are great bike. A bottlerocket with a Fox 36 is the Sh*t awesome setup for slope/FR I have ridden one and love it almost as much as my Preston with a Zoke 55... But if you want to do some DH too and be able to pedal anywhere aswell... A Dirtbag with a 66 ATA you cant beat it if I didnt have the preston and and the Blindside and could have just one all around bike.. The Dirtbag with a 66 ATA + CCDB + some 823's laced to Hopes and you can go anywhere..

ROTFLMAO

Monkey
Nov 17, 2007
Maumee, Ohio
I'd have to go anywhere on that combo since I wouldn't be able to afford to put gas in my car. They're just out of my budget right now, which sucks because I really want a BR. DB would be sweet, especially since '06 frames are on sale but I'd have to replace my current fork and wheels which puts me way beyond my budget.

Leaning towards the Akita and running it singlespeed :-o. When I point it uphill I'll just pedal it as far as I can then I'll walk :). The only reason I'll be climbing will be to get to the fun downhill part. This will keep me under budget and allow me to put a few blingy bits on it.