Quantcast

I need a part

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
or some mechanical help. At one of the last cross races the mud was like peanut butter and it ended up wrecking a bunch of parts on my bike. I found out last night that I have issues with my DA cassette body. Does anyone know how to disassemble it? I know they are buy and trash parts, but I figured it couldn't hurt to try since I'm going to have to buy one now. My next question: does anyone have a DA 7800 cassette body they would part with? Or a DA rear hub they would let go for around $100 so I could use it for parts? I know some of you guys are wheel whores :D

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Assumming they are like the older XT and XTR versions you need a special tool to remove the race/cover plate, or a hammer and pin punch. You remove the axle and bearings but leave the freehub body on the hub shell. I think the cover plate is left hand thread. Lots of teeny bearings in there and some springs and pawls. Might be simpler to remove the rubber seal from the backside of the body, dump solvent through until it is celean and replace with thicker oil. Although if recollection serves me correctly, that seal is not easy to remove. I don't recall if it was an XTR or Dura Ace body I attempted to clean out a few months back, but I wasn't able to get the seal out. They might actually be the same freehub body or the same design anyway. 3 pawls and they skip.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I did pull the seal and clean the bearings and then dump in 90w oil and cycled the bearings. This helped, but I still have the issue with the little metal shavings coming out through the bearings. You guys are going to love what I did to ghetto the hub back together. A while back I posted that I used an XT axle on my powertap hub...well, I still have the XT hub. I snagged the cassette body off of that hub and slapped it on the DA hub :D It's heavy, but it works. I'm still going to try to fix the old cassette body.