Quantcast

I need a strong chain...

dG video

I blew a mod to get this title
Feb 25, 2004
vermont
So today I have snapped my 6th chain this season. I have been using Sram PC990 and Hollow pin chains and they don't seem to be working to well. Is there anything out there that my bruteness wont break? I am getting sick of replacing and fixing chains!

Ohh, and its gotta be compatible with a Sram Deraillier.

Dan

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
DROP said:
ive never snapped a chain but my advice to you is to buy a different derallier so that you can get a better chain. I personally don't like sram.
Once again, drop shines. :thumb:

Any 9sp chain will work. Shimano, SRAM, Wipperman are all compatible.
I personally prefer SRAM. I've been using them since they were sold under the Sachs brand. Sachs still makes them but brands them as SRAM. I like them because they are easier to put together (no special pins, ala shimano)
Try the lower end ones. I've had great luck with PC49s and PC59s.

Also check your chainline. Horrible chainlines put undue stress on the sideplates and can cause premature failure.

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont
Wumpus said:
Maybe you need to evaluate how you shift.

Try a Shimano Dura-Ace/XTR CN7701 9 Speed Chain.
Evaluate how I shift?

Is there a certain technique to shifting? I thought you just pushed the shifter, guess I should work on my posture and technique.

Dan

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I just use regular Shimano 8spd chains and they're stretched to **** and they've held up...but that's also due to me having a rohloff hub and not having a cassette in back.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
DROP said:
ive never snapped a chain but my advice to you is to buy a different derallier so that you can get a better chain. I personally don't like sram.
a better der????

my XO's can beat the crap out your XTR's. :p

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
rockymt21 said:
Evaluate how I shift?

Is there a certain technique to shifting? I thought you just pushed the shifter, guess I should work on my posture and technique.

Dan
If you jam the shifter while you're mashing, you put a lot of lateral load on the chain and I imagine that is why they snap or you have a terrible chainline like buildyourown suggested.

Jesus

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
Louisville, KY
rockymt21 said:
Evaluate how I shift?

Dan
There is a certain technique to shifting.

First, don't shift while under power. I back off a little when shifting. Second, pay attention to your gear combinations. You don't want to be in your big ring up front and your 34 tooth in the back. That will snap a chain pretty quickly.

When i'm in the granny ring, I won't go past the 3rd chainring in back. In the middle ring I will go from 2 to 6. Big ring, 5 to 9.

And for a strong chain I reccomend the Wipperman Stainless, that's what I use.

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont
Well its not when I am shifting, most cases I have been pedaling out of a turn (Downhill racing here) and basically most cases are during a hard sprint, im a big dude and put a lot of torque on the bike (I snapped a Deity crank practicing gate starts in 4x) and the chainline isn't perfect so that might be why. Its just getting annoying.

Dan

DHCorky

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Headed to the lift...
Poor shifting technique as mentioned above will put stress on the chain. It will break when you put it under heavy pressure, like coming out of a turn or in the gate.

I would never go with Shimano chains over Sram. When I was riding trials Shimano chains did not even come close to holding up as good as Sram chains. Go cheap get the pc-49.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
DROP said:
Ya, like we care what you like, of all people.

Why don't you and mack get together? The both of you can join that team the guy keeps bumping a thread for.

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
I'm a big fan of the Wipperman chains.

I've been running them for a couple seasons now on both my hardtail and DH bikes, and have no complaints about breaks, twisting, or anything else.

Breaking Shimano chains, and balls/skin on my knees as a result, caused me to switch brands. I couldn't be happier now!

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
I would look more into your shifting technique and your chain line...most chains will hold up if not abused. How often do you clean and lube your chain? All of these are factors into the durability of any chain...D

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Another vote for the Shimano CN 7701 Dura Ace/XTR chain. A lot of people that complain about shimano chains are relating to their experiences back around 1999-2000. Yes, the shimano chains back then stunk pretty bad and for a good few years, SRAM chains were a better choice.

Shimano chains have changed and it's no longer 1999. High end shimano chains now have mushroomed shape pins that keep the links from sliding off. The only drawback is the special connector pin, but if you read the SRAM instructions you aren't even supposed to soak em in degreaser, so a lot of good that does you. I've recently used a few sram chains when I couldn't get my favorite chain...I broke em. I've broken many SRAM chains over the years, they always held up better than the old shimano chains, but like I said, things are different now. The CN 7701 shifts great, I've never broken one through about 4 of them now, and they're just as light as a SRAM PC99 hollow pin at less than 2/3rds the cost.

This is my recommendation for an ultra-strong chain. I torque the hell out of my drivetrain, and this chain holds up.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
lovebunny said:
ive been using a pc 59 for the pas 6 months on my dh rig and about a year on my ht
This brings up another point, just as an FYI.

Depending on how often you ride your bike, how much torque you create, and how many miles you put on it, you may have to change your chain in intervals of less than 6 months. Maybe more like 4 months. I've seen the results of people that torque the hell out of their drivetrains, and there are definitely those of us that have to change their chains well before others do. Here's a little trick you can do to check the stretch, measure on the bottom half of the chain from the front pin of one link to the front pin of another link 12" away. If they don't line up and are 1/32-1/16th off, it's time to replace the chain. If it's 1/16-1/8th off, you've probably damaged your cassette and there's a good chance you'll have to replace it, if it's more than 1/8th you've ruined your cassette and possibly your front rings as well.

The reason for this is just to let people know to "check their chains". You wouldn't believe how many people just run their drivetrains into the ground untill they stop working, which also happens to be the point at which it is a total loss. Changing that chain fairly frequently will preserve the rear cassette and front rings, so you'll get much more life out of them.

I see this problem manifested in two different ways usually. There's the type of person that never does anything to their bike (in terms of repair or preventative maint.) and they ride it all the time and into the ground, and as I said, eventually it all fails at once. Then there's the mountain biker, road rider, tour rider, etc that practices and is becomming a better rider. Because they are improving, they are riding longer with more miles and getting stronger. This is usually when someone makes a transition from having to replace the chain every year to an interval much less, so watch out.

This isn't directed at anyone, just using the opportunity to let people know to check their chains!