Quantcast

I need help - Stripped Bolt

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
I was trying to get access to my lower pivot bolts for first time maintenance on the Blur.

To have access to those bolts you need to remove the driveside crankarm. Tried to unscrew (ccw) the bolt on my Truvativ Stylo crank but to no avail. Bolt is spinning loosely and not coming out, nor that crankarm is moving. Try to screw it back in, same thing, bolt is stripped (not the head).

Either bolt threads are toasted or BB threads (FSA Platinum)

Now what?!

Can I ride the bike with a loose bolts since the crank is still pressed on the BB, or will it come loose eventually. How on earth can I remove that bolt??

Monkeyfest is in 4 days and I've got a facked up Blur!!! :angry: :(

:help:

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
If the spindle is hollow take the other crank bolt out and use something to try and push the striped bolt out.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
The bike is on the car right now, heading to LBS at lunch... :mad:

With a spanner wrench (which I don't have) they'll probably be able to pull out the bolt using that ring around the bolt head. Hopefully its the bolt that is stripped and not the BB... cause they are slow getting parts and probably won't have one in stock.

If I can't get the bike working it will be a Singlespeed MonkeyFest for me... :dead:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Jozz said:
The bike is on the car right now, heading to LBS at lunch... :mad:

With a spanner wrench (which I don't have) they'll probably be able to pull out the bolt using that ring around the bolt head. Hopefully its the bolt that is stripped and not the BB... cause they are slow getting parts and probably won't have one in stock.

If I can't get the bike working it will be a Singlespeed MonkeyFest for me... :dead:

The bolt on the stylo is aluminum where the BB is steel. There is only a .001% chance that it is your BB that is stripped. The LBS might not have the exact bolt but they should have something in a steel version they could throw in there for you. If not there are probably 50 or so monkeys that could give you a bolt at the monkeyfest.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Westy said:
The bolt on the stylo is aluminum where the BB is steel. There is only a .001% chance that it is your BB that is stripped.
Woaah! That's a relief!

They probably have a bolt in stock. Thanks!

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Aluminium bolt was stripped, new alloy bolt in place, everything is good and ready to rock Kingdom trails!

:dancing:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Jozz said:
Aluminium bolt was stripped, new alloy bolt in place, everything is good and ready to rock Kingdom trails!

:dancing:

Wooo Hooo! Will Blur Test rides be available? Although yours is a Large right??? Hmmm.....Deyv rides a medium doesn't he? :sneaky: :)

Glad to hear you are fully functional for the Kingdom Trails Jozz! :cool: :thumb: :D :dancing:

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
MMcG said:
Wooo Hooo! Will Blur Test rides be available? Although yours is a Large right??? Hmmm.....Deyv rides a medium doesn't he? :sneaky: :)

Glad to hear you are fully functional for the Kingdom Trails Jozz! :cool: :thumb: :D :dancing:
They'll be plenty of Blur present at Monkey fest!

SS is still in the shop waiting for a Hayes master cylinder, should be ready before departure!

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
douglas said:
yeah!

And I got my rear brake in - the Kona will be making the trip to East Burke!
Are you bringing a spare rear wheel... cause you never know! ;)