Quantcast

I need myself a new derailleur

captainpolution

Turbo Monkey
Nov 18, 2004
so im changing this now since i didnt feel like starting a new topic. so far i have got a couple people saying get the 105 because its strong. Anybody else verify this?

captainpolution

Turbo Monkey
Nov 18, 2004
whats the length difference between the mid and short? seeing that the mids 59 and short's 85, hmmmm. is it going to make that much of a difference?

captainpolution

Turbo Monkey
Nov 18, 2004
oh yea another question, are there any ultegras in 9 speed? I seem to only find 10 but i assume I can adjust it to work with 9, hmmm

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
captainpolution said:
whats the length difference between the mid and short? seeing that the mids 59 and short's 85, hmmmm. is it going to make that much of a difference?

That shot is a lot shorter....it will not get torn off as easily

hotcarl

Chimp
Feb 11, 2004
I've had great luck running a shortcage 105 on a 11-25. I've beat the crap out of it and it still works great.

captainpolution

Turbo Monkey
Nov 18, 2004
check, saw that 105 for 38, looks like a good price? Do you guys think it will be good for DH and FR? It;s hard to find one for that crap

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
captainpolution said:
check, saw that 105 for 38, looks like a good price? Do you guys think it will be good for DH and FR? It;s hard to find one for that crap
105s are probably the best choice IMO. Pretty cheap, strong, short and out of the way.

dhpimp

Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
MILFS BEDROOM
captainpolution said:
oh yea another question, are there any ultegras in 9 speed? I seem to only find 10 but i assume I can adjust it to work with 9, hmmm
the Ultegra 10 is the same for 9 or 10 spd... they work on the same cog width ..

get the Ultegra if you can, it has wider pivot links and therefore makes it snappier and stronger ... but whatever one you go for, make sure it's a short cage!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Carefull with short cage derailers on mid to high pivot bikes, the short cage rear derailer can not take up as much chain slack, meaning that it could rip off the bike if your high pivot bike has a good deal of chain stretch throughout the travel. Chainstretch is bad for short cage derailers, and sometimes dictates that you need at least a mid cage.

captainpolution

Turbo Monkey
Nov 18, 2004
Jm_ said:
Carefull with short cage derailers on mid to high pivot bikes, the short cage rear derailer can not take up as much chain slack, meaning that it could rip off the bike if your high pivot bike has a good deal of chain stretch throughout the travel. Chainstretch is bad for short cage derailers, and sometimes dictates that you need at least a mid cage.
yea thats what i was worried about with that. Ill search around and probably put a topic up asking about it

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
Yea, defintely got to watch out for the chain stretch. I had it on my cove for a season(fine since chain length stays even on that). But, I just ordered a new bullit frame and I'm going to be using a spare xt instead of the 105.

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
I run the Super Shortcage Ultegra and I have never been more pleased with a rear mech (I use it with a standard XT casset....not problems !).

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
I'm surprised by the comments about the X.9, unless it's a lot different than the X.7 I have. I went through a shimano derailleur just about each weekend, but have had the same X.7 for most of last year.

Anyway, short cages also have a little crisper shift.

Fury

Monkey
Oct 9, 2002
Toronto, Canada
My teammate runs 105 derailleurs exclusively and always makes fun of me for stepping up to the Ultegra. I don't know if there is much of a difference really but for some reason when it comes time to buy the 105 I can't do it.

Whatever you get, make sure it's shortcage (if it will work with your frame).

BigStonz

Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
Swain!! NY
I've had the chain stretch problem on a Bullit. Wrecked the chain, derailluer, and several spokes. Beware. I think the XT midcage would be shortest you go with on this type of frame.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Matt D said:
I'm surprised by the comments about the X.9, unless it's a lot different than the X.7 I have. I went through a shimano derailleur just about each weekend, but have had the same X.7 for most of last year.

That's because some people think some dangly metal pieces last longer than others, when in reality, if you hit any one of these right, they will blow up like
Kirstie Alley locked inside a donut factory.
That said, I have the best luck with the X9 out of all the other stuff.

captainpolution

Turbo Monkey
Nov 18, 2004
Jeremy R said:
That's because some people think some dangly metal pieces last longer than others, when in reality, if you hit any one of these right, they will blow up like
Kirstie Alley locked inside a donut factory.
That said, I have the best luck with the X9 out of all the other stuff.

its just that metal usualy lasts longer than plastic, AKA sram

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
yea i used to blow through 4-10 ****mano derialers a season on my dh bike but this xo i have from sram has ticked all last season and is going on my race bike for this season (have 3 other new ones but why use them if the old is still kicking ass)

my x9 i ran on my street bike lasted forever including i failed pedal stall from abubaca onto the derailer. just bent the hanger a wee bit

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I just installed an XTR Rapid Rise on sat. It shifts real nice, but I don't know if I'll get used to it being backwards. I need to order some new parts (cable adjustment parts)and I'll get my been going since 2001 XTR derailleur some new life:thumb:

captainpolution

Turbo Monkey
Nov 18, 2004
Brian HCM#1 said:
I just installed an XTR Rapid Rise on sat. It shifts real nice, but I don't know if I'll get used to it being backwards. I need to order some new parts (cable adjustment parts)and I'll get my been going since 2001 XTR derailleur some new life:thumb:
nice, is this on your karpiel?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Not to derail the thread, but I hate rapid rise. :stosh:

No matter how many times I hear people explain the point, I just don't see it. I have given it a shot with an open mind and it just doesn't make sense to me. I've had rapid rise on my trail bike for more than a year, I am used to it and don't shift the wrong way anymore, I just think it's stupid. I guess (maybe) it makes sense for people who don't know how to shift but I hate not being able to downshift through more than one gear at a time. When people said they wanted someone to "reinvent" the derailleur, rapid rise is not what they meant!! :mumble: :mumble: :mumble:

Anyway, back on topic I've had better luck with the short cage xt or xtr derailleurs than the road versions, the mtb ders are a little more burly and last longer for me than 105 or ultegra.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
OGRipper said:
Not to derail the thread, but I hate rapid rise. :stosh:

No matter how many times I hear people explain the point, I just don't see it. I have given it a shot with an open mind and it just doesn't make sense to me. I've had rapid rise on my trail bike for more than a year, I am used to it and don't shift the wrong way anymore, I just think it's stupid. I guess (maybe) it makes sense for people who don't know how to shift but I hate not being able to downshift through more than one gear at a time. When people said they wanted someone to "reinvent" the derailleur, rapid rise is not what they meant!! :mumble: :mumble: :mumble:

Anyway, back on topic I've had better luck with the short cage xt or xtr derailleurs than the road versions, the mtb ders are a little more burly and last longer for me than 105 or ultegra.
It's more or less an experiment, I'm not really sold on the concept myself. It's been sitting in a box for a year now, so what the hey.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Brian HCM#1 said:
It's more or less an experiment, I'm not really sold on the concept myself. It's been sitting in a box for a year now, so what the hey.

I'd be curious to hear your thoughts after you get used to it. They talk about damaged chains and stuff, but I haven't messed up a drivetrain due to a poor shift in like 15 years. On the other hand, it's very often that I want to downshift through two or three cogs at once and you can't do it with rapid rise. I don't remember needing to upshift through that many cogs at once, even on a downhill bike. Maybe it's just a personal preference thing and I'm just crusty...

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
Matt D said:

I got over 2 runs on my first X9 derailleur, nearly a day and a half on the second one, and then after upgrading to X7, I got 6 months of rockless DHing in before it too shat the bed after seeing a rock. Comparitively, I got 2 years out of an XT before it got sloppy (never managed to bend/break it), and similar stuff from all my other Shimano derailleurs (yet to ever break one, they do like to kill hangers though). I've also watched literally everyone I know with Sram derailleurs go through them like nobody's business - about a month ago, I was riding with a guy who had an X9 break on him, so he replaced it that night, and the brand spanking new one was bent the very first run the next day. And no, he's not a hack. Another guy I know has killed a few in the space of about 4 months, in fact I am yet to meet anyone who has made theirs last more than about 2 months with an X9 derailleur. When people break Shimano derailleurs (at least the guys I ride with) it's actually a somewhat uncommon occurrence. Break a Sram one and nobody even blinks. They shift nicely, don't bounce around etc, but they're just way way way too flimsy for DH applications. I'd happily run one on an XC bike or whatever, but not for DH. Do a search for "X.Plode" :)

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
thaflyinfatman said:
I got over 2 runs on my first X9 derailleur, nearly a day and a half on the second one, and then after upgrading to X7, I got 6 months of rockless DHing in before it too shat the bed after seeing a rock. Comparitively, I got 2 years out of an XT before it got sloppy (never managed to bend/break it), and similar stuff from all my other Shimano derailleurs (yet to ever break one, they do like to kill hangers though). I've also watched literally everyone I know with Sram derailleurs go through them like nobody's business - about a month ago, I was riding with a guy who had an X9 break on him, so he replaced it that night, and the brand spanking new one was bent the very first run the next day. And no, he's not a hack. Another guy I know has killed a few in the space of about 4 months, in fact I am yet to meet anyone who has made theirs last more than about 2 months with an X9 derailleur. When people break Shimano derailleurs (at least the guys I ride with) it's actually a somewhat uncommon occurrence. Break a Sram one and nobody even blinks. They shift nicely, don't bounce around etc, but they're just way way way too flimsy for DH applications. I'd happily run one on an XC bike or whatever, but not for DH. Do a search for "X.Plode" :)
Funny, I spent an ENTIRE season on one X9 derrailleur (minus one race). The same derrailleur will be going back on for the beginning of this season. It hasn't bent, twisted, exploded, loosened up and still has razor sharp shifts.

That one race I was on a freebied XO, and I managed to land derrailleur first on a rock (don't ask). In that case, any mech would have given up the ghost.

Anyone who says they go through them every month etc is either a) a hack or b) lying or c) riding in extremely rocky terrain or d) extremely unlucky with what they slam into (usually correlated closely with A).

dhpimp

Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
MILFS BEDROOM
OGRipper said:
I'd be curious to hear your thoughts after you get used to it. They talk about damaged chains and stuff, but I haven't messed up a drivetrain due to a poor shift in like 15 years. On the other hand, it's very often that I want to downshift through two or three cogs at once and you can't do it with rapid rise. I don't remember needing to upshift through that many cogs at once, even on a downhill bike. Maybe it's just a personal preference thing and I'm just crusty...
I have to admit that i am running a full Saint bike with XT shifters, and love the fact that i can come blasting out of the woods into an open section and jam down 2-3 gears at a time and mash the pedals.. if i get hung up in a technical section and need to upshift all 9 gears, then i just release the tension on the cable and in one full pedal stroke it's at the top of the gears..

It does take some getting used to, just like going from an automatic to the manual car, but personally, it's worth it.