Quantcast

i need new V-Brakes

Big_Papa1080

Village Idiot
Dec 10, 2001
Fairbanks, Alaska
i dont have the money to get a pair of discs so i was looking at getting some v-brakes. i dont want to spend a lot of money (read over $50). i was looking at the avid single digit 5's or 7's but im open to any suggestions you might have. thanks again.
~big_papa1080

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
Simply put, the Avids RULE. They're much cheaper, stiffer (which means more power), simpler, and quieter than anything shimano has.

There really isn't any other choice, get 'em.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by sub6
Simply put, the Avids RULE. They're much cheaper, stiffer (which means more power), simpler, and quieter than anything shimano has.

There really isn't any other choice, get 'em.
For the $ Avids or XT's

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
sub6 is no fan of XT v-brakes. In fact, he has a set that he would probably give to Big_Papa1080, if he wanted them.

But sub6 would not recommend that, because they really suck.

Seriously - they're awful - you can't ever get them to stop squealing, no matter what you do. New pads (koolstop, fibrax, some others), brake booster, toeing them in, out, flat, you name it. Plus, the parallel push thing is just stupid - it adds NOTHING to the performance of the damn brake. Also, given the fact that they weigh a lot, and have REALLY thick arms, you'd think that they wouldn't flex much, but they do. A lot more than Avids.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
sub6 is no fan of XT v-brakes. In fact, he has a set that he would probably give to Big_Papa1080, if he wanted them.

Seriously - they're awful - you can't ever get them to stop squealing, no matter what you do. New pads (koolstop, fibrax, some others), brake booster, toeing them in, out, flat, you name it. Plus, the parallel push thing is just stupid - it adds NOTHING to the performance of the damn brake. Also, given the fact that they weigh a lot, and have REALLY thick arms, you'd think that they wouldn't flex much, but they do. A lot more than Avids.
yeap i agree w/ you totally on that one. i got a set of the newer style xt's when they came out in 99. and i HATED EM........lol they squealed so badly it was t the point i didn't want to use my brakes b/c i didn't want to hear that god awful sound

LoboDelFuego

Monkey
Mar 5, 2002
My discs broke up front and I can't afford new ones so my LBS sold me these cool Jagwire levers and a crappy tektro vbrake. The lever is really light and has a carbon fiber pattern (but its not made out of CF..at least i don't think so) and it has a cool feel like the hayes levers. whole package+assembly cost me $30.

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
Originally posted by LoboDelFuego
My discs broke up front and I can't afford new ones so my LBS sold me these cool Jagwire levers and a crappy tektro vbrake. The lever is really light and has a carbon fiber pattern (but its not made out of CF..at least i don't think so) and it has a cool feel like the hayes levers. whole package+assembly cost me $30.
I think that's what bigpapa 1080 has now, and those pads seem to be horrible. i rode them and it took a while to stop. maybe im just used to disc though. but the sd3's are even decent if you want to go for an even lower price range.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
No crap here. I spent weeks trying to get a set of XT front brakes to stop squeeling and it NEVER happened. It was on a marzocchi Z1 Bomber - everyone tied to tell me I was an instalation idiot or the fork made all v-brakes squeel. I swapped to avid disk on that bike. When I rebuilt my old XC bike I went straint XT top to bottom except for brakes - I bought Avid 5s with levers and V's for around $30.00. They have performed flawlessly and never make a noise. For the price I was expecting them to be crappy but I was wrong.

Just get the AVID SD-7's. You will not be sorry. They install easily and adjust predictably. They function very very well, and are relatively light. There are outstanding prices on them; PricePoint comes to mind.

Oh yeah, they come OEM on really expensive bikes, if that makes you feel good.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I also recommend going with the SD7s...the few bucks you spend over the 5s will get you cartidge pads, which will in turn save you money in the long run...and it's soooo much nicer to change a set without having to undo the whole assembly set them up again from scratch...

MD

Phreaddy

Chimp
Jul 5, 2001
New York City
Judging from the comments I am in the minority. But taking into account that in human nature it is the disatisfied who take the time to make their feelings known, I suspect that I'm not such a minority. I have had XT V-brakes since the year they came out. I have never had a squeeling problem, nor any other for that matter. I've always used the Shimano pads, although I do have a pair of salmon Koolstops. They just work.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Originally posted by Phreaddy
Judging from the comments I am in the minority. But taking into account that in human nature it is the disatisfied who take the time to make their feelings known, I suspect that I'm not such a minority. I have had XT V-brakes since the year they came out. I have never had a squeeling problem, nor any other for that matter. I've always used the Shimano pads, although I do have a pair of salmon Koolstops. They just work.
Mine almost never squeal either, but have on occasion when wet or mucky.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
I had the original XT's and later a pair of XTR's. The rears were a bit squeely and soft but I fixed that with a Carbon brace. No personnal experience with the latest XT model but I have heard on some bikes they howl like a stuck pig and the only fix is something different. My best riding buddy however has a silent pair. So I dunno. It may be that there will be killer deals on v brakes of all makes soon as discs slowly take over all levels. My lbs has ordered no rim brake bikes this year. Last year they had a hard time selling bikes with rim brakes particularly at the high end. They had to change brakes for lots of customers to make sales and ended up with lots of rim brakes. Maybe there's a shop around you with a similar stock?

Jesse B

Chimp
Nov 6, 2002
Central Coast California
I have used XTR v-brakes in the past. They were good, except when they got wet, but thats probally true of all v-brakes. They never squealed. I've never used avids, so I cant compare the two. I have no complaints for the XTRs.