Quantcast

I need somthing to generate MIDI timecode....... any ideas?

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
What is 'midi timecode'?

sound forge produces top of the line loop base sequencers. they have a cheap line called 'acid_something' that is pretty functional.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
sorry i dont think i can help anymore. I dont know what SMPTE is either. Even not understanding i'm lost.

< edit > ok i read it 3 times and although i 'think' i understand some of it I do not know of anything that can automatically nor manually do what your asking. I have a very limited knowledge on this subject. As a matter of fact that wikipedia article about sums it up.
I say good luck to you sir. < / edit >
< edit < edit > > but you might look into sound forges products if you haven&#8217;t already because they are SEQUENCERS which is kind of the basic ideal I&#8217;ve gathered from the wikilog. < / edit > < / edit >

goofy

Monkey
Mar 20, 2004
olney md.
Ok SMPTE is a simple audio sound that is used to sync up video and audio(ok that is the simplest way I can put it)
Now the best way to describe what it does is:
Have you seen a tv screen roll where the picture moves up or down the screen ok that is caused by the tv losing sync with the source of the video.
SMPTE is what is used to keep that tv synced to it's source.
Btw stands for Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers

goofy

Monkey
Mar 20, 2004
olney md.
What is 'midi timecode'?

sound forge produces top of the line loop base sequencers. they have a cheap line called 'acid_something' that is pretty functional.
The actual name of the company is Sonic Foundry now owned by Sony that makes Acid, Vegas and Sound Forge.
I just wanted that said so people who might see this and get confused

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Hey mike what exactly are you trying to do that you need MTC
What Exactly I'm trying to do is this:

I am a theatrical technician. I am doing the lighting design and sound for a dance show. I want to sync up the music with the light board to trigger the cues so they always go at the same time. I've seen it done before with digital multi track recorders.

The audio source is a CD, and what I'm trying to control is an ETC Insight 3

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
And Oh yeah, the stuff I have at my disposal is my MacBook Pro, a MIDIsport Uno Midi Device, Final Cut Pro and the lighting console itself.

I loaded everything into Final Cut, and when I play it back, there is a blinking light for MIDI out, but the board still says "waiting for input" on the external Time Clock. I don't think it outputs to MTC .

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Looks like Audition would do it....... it only it ran on Mac!

MIDI time code support

Use Adobe Audition 2.0 software as a MIDI time code (SMPTE/MTC) master or slave to synchronize audio playback with computers, video decks, or any hardware device that supports MTC.

goofy

Monkey
Mar 20, 2004
olney md.
Hey Mike I'm going to ask around to people that I know who might know the answer (because I'm baffled).

Mike for future thought on this most of the people who are trying to do this are using Motu's Digital Performer with a Motu Midi Time Piece AV unit and one of Motu interface boxes.
And yes I know how much this rig will cost that's why i don't have one (minus the Midi Time Piece).
Kirk
Edit I didn't see your last post sorry

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I'd suggest OS X with parallels and windows. I use that for proofing web stuff on a daily basis, works great. It loads windows inside of a window, runs just as fast as bootcamp would (on my system anyways). It is also currently a free beta.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Well, I got a copy of Soundtrack Pro to evaluate, and i'm at home right now, but it seems as if it is working. In the preferances pane there are options to sync the MIDI clock and MIDI time code, and when I play somthing through it, the MIDI light on my MIDIsport lights up solid.

I'll report back tomorrow after I try it connected to the board