Quantcast

I need to buy a car, but I have no clue how to do it

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
I'm a junior in college who has never owned a car, and based on my summer plans, I've decided it's time to get some wheels. I need something used, less than $10,000, preferably an efficient 4 cylinder with a manual transmission, and it has to have decent trunk space and be capable of hauling DH bikes and DHers. It will also see time in the snow during winter, so front wheel drive is a must, and AWD would be preferable. I'm also 6 feet tall, so I have trouble fitting comfortably into smaller cars. I'd like to get a Subaru Impreza wagon, but they seem to hold their value way too well, making them a bit out of my price range. Another car I'm considering is the Mazda Protege 5. It's not too tiny, it gets good gas mileage, available as a stick shift, and it's not particularly expensive. If you guys have any other suggestions, please chime in.

I also have no clue how to go about buying a used car. Do I take out a bank loan? Do I buy the car thru a dealer and do the financing through them? Is it safe to buy a car on eBay? And what are some "smart shopping" techniques to practice when buying a used car? I'm assuming I should take it to a mechanic and say "Hey, tell me if there's anything wrong with it" before I buy it. Any other hints for me? Thanks for the help.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Just curious, how much money do you have saved up, and how much can you afford to spend on payments every month?

Your parents can co-sign a loan, so you should be good for almost any amount.

Car dealerships are glad to give you a loan, but the terms are not always favorable. A credit union, which you school probably has, will be better.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
AWD is good, but also makes the cars more expensive and there's more crap to break. unless you get BURIED w/ snow, a spare set of steel rims and snow tires are just as good or better and only cost about $4-500 total.

like the Protoge idea, have heard good things about it. maybe a protoge5?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
BTW, I recommend installing a "HiddenHitch". You can slap on a SportWorks (excuse, Thule) T2 no problem, although a smaller car will only be able to take two bikes.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
sanjuro said:
Just curious, how much money do you have saved up, and how much can you afford to spend on payments every month?
I have about $6000 for a down payment, and I'd be able to spend no more than $300 a month for payments.

loco said:
A lot of places will help a first time buyer.
How so?

dante said:
maybe a protoge5?
Read my original post. :)

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
dexterq20 said:
I have about $6000 for a down payment, and I'd be able to spend no more than $300 a month for payments.
Well, it sounds like you move to the top of the class for car buying. 6k could buy you a very nice car by itself.

Go down to the student credit union, and ask them about getting a car loan. That is how I did it when I bought my first car. You get an idea about your budget that way.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Old Subaru Legacy wagon. Won't get great mileage but there's alot of room, AWD, and you should be able to find a 4-cyl std.

I bought one back in '99 with 126K on it and sold it in '04 with 195K on it. It was a good car.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I can't offer much advice because I'd only be speaking out of my ass, but I will say that you're in great shape. You have $6k to throw down and can afford $300/month payments? You will have no problem finding an excellent used car. Good luck!

I wish I was in that good a position when I bought my first car.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I bought a car is college for $400. Beat the crap out of it for 4 years then got $400 as a trade in. I almost miss having a POS car that I could not car about, almost.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
Westy said:
I bought a car is college for $400. Beat the crap out of it for 4 years then got $400 as a trade in. I almost miss having a POS car that I could not car about, almost.

agreed.. there is something to be said about vehicles like that... i used to use mine to push shopping carts out of parking spaces... plus, it jumped pretty well... didn t land so well, but thats another story...

HaveFaith

Monkey
Mar 11, 2006
Ben, give me a call, or lets meet up. I bought my old WRX used by myself from a dealer, then sold it privately and then bought my mitsu from a dealer, new. So I got all the bases covered, I can answer any questions, and am up-to-date with good financing rates and how to bargain etc. Anyways, maybe later today we can hang.

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
I like my little P5.
Good mileage, decent umph, 5speed, good room, realitive fun in the twisties, easily 3 bikes up top, stupid reliable, pretty cheap (I got it when mazda was unloading them for the 3-series, I paid new what they are going for now used). Its not the best in the snow, but that is mostly due to the tires-the stock ones straight up suck. Just get decent all-season tires or the seperate snow tire idea.

Financing for a college kid can be tricky, but nothing too terrible. Do you rent/have a credit card/pay your own bills? Or live in the dorms and parents claim you? Those are the big factors whether you'll need a co-signer or not. I did for my first apt in college, but not for my car right after college. And $6g's down will definatly look good to a dealer. Financing $4k for only a few years shouldn't be that much (I've forgoten the formula on how to figure such things out).

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
sanjuro said:
Go down to the student credit union...
There ain't no student credit union here at UCSB. Should I just go to my local Wells Fargo branch?

d.e.f. said:
Do you rent/have a credit card/pay your own bills? Or live in the dorms and parents claim you?
My parents are co-signed on my lease and they pay rent for my apartment, but I have a bunch of credit cards, all with perfect credit, and I pay all my own utility bills. Will that make a big difference when I apply for a loan?

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I have access to a WV Golf that runs and drives great, gets over 25mpg and holds 4 DH bikes on the roof, with the rack that will be included. It's in Ventura and will only set you back $1200, wich leaves tons of cash for gas, beer, and beef jerky.

ghettogt76

Monkey
Dec 5, 2001
Pleasant Hill, Kali'fo'nya
Look at toyota tacomas or pickups with a 4 cyl 5 spd. You can easily get 4-5 riders in the a taco (make sure you get an ext cab) and 5 bikes in the back (hang 'em over the tailgate). Not only that, but toys are easy to work on and are extremely reliable. Good mileage too.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
maxyedor said:
I have access to a WV Golf that runs and drives great, gets over 25mpg and holds 4 DH bikes on the roof, with the rack that will be included. It's in Ventura and will only set you back $1200, wich leaves tons of cash for gas, beer, and beef jerky.
I appreciate the offer, but there's no way. I don't fit comfortably into a Jetta, so I can't even imagine how cramped a Golf would be.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
dexterq20 said:
I appreciate the offer, but there's no way. I don't fit comfortably into a Jetta, so I can't even imagine how cramped a Golf would be.
Wha? I almost bought a 97 VR6 Jetta and it was ROOMY. And I'm 6'0. And I know how tall you are. Didn't you squish into James' Golf with us when we hauled the trash can of burr at SO?

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
DRB said:
http://www.autotrader.com/research/research.jsp?restype=used

There is a lot of information for all the steps.

Pricing info is available via the web from cars.com, edmunds.com, kbb.com, and autotrader.com. They are all fairly accurate.
Dexter, I'm in just about the same situation that you are (having never bought a car on my own and looking for one now), these sights are really helpful... but if you buy a used car, for the love of God almighty, make sure that you take it to a shop and get a damn thorough inspection first. I would be a rich man if I had done a better job with that...

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
dexterq20 said:
Actually it's quite a bit bigger inside than a Jetta, weird, but true, I'm 6'2" and have plenty of room, in a Jetta I just fit, and can't sprawl very well. Somebody must want to buy the Golf though, my budy needs to get rid of it so he can buy another Rabbit, he's up to 2 Rabbits and 5 Golfs and needs more:rofl:

I can also get you into a Discovery, or Range Rover for under 4k and you'll get great mpg.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
I bought my first car in December '05. Picked it up off of a dealer I found on Craigslist.

95 Subaru Impreza/Outback SE something or other. It was a bad title car, but repair work had been done on it. 115k miles, $3,000 plus I went ahead and replaced all belts and seals. Came with new tires and a roof rack. So far I love it, but I couldn't imagine being very big and owning one.

Personally I'd check out Craigslist. I know SB has a pretty good amount of people using CL and I almost bought a car or two from there.

Make sure to have a competent mechanic shop look over the car before buying it. I can suggest a few places in town if you'd like that have done exceptional work for a good price and always delivered on time.

Really I would see what is available in your area and decide from there. For your first car you don't need it to be perfect, you need it to run. I'd also suggest that if buying used you go ahead and pay outright. If this means borrowing from the folks, go ahead and do it. Most banks I talked to won't do auto-loans under 10k anyhow. Buy the car outright and you'll be much happier.

I always laugh as my mom and dad are paying car payments while I own my car completely. Sure, they have nicer cars, but they perform the same function and I don't worry about hurting mine.

The Ito

AkRider

Chimp
Apr 30, 2006
Anchorage, Alaska
One piece of advice that will help in the bargaining is don't let them know how much money you have to put down or what kind of payments you are looking for. They will use that info to squeeze every little bit they can out of you. Don't talk money till you've come to a deal on the price of the car. And the same with personal info. Don't give it up till the deal is made. Hope this helps.

Mike

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Your best bet is to decide what you want to spend, go to a bank or credit union and get the loan first. That way you are dealing with cash when you go to a dealership or looking at used rides.

Most banks will pre-qual you on a loan and you have a large chunck for down, so it's low risk for them. But don't get a loan through the dealership, they will rape you.