Quantcast

I need wheel suggestions people

spincycle9

Chimp
Feb 22, 2002
sale creek, tn
:help: I have a Sun Mammoth rear rim-36 hole, straight guage spokes- and it keeps getting knocked out of true. I weigh about 220lbs. and I freeride mostly, so I would like something that can handle the hits a little better. Any suggestions?? (besides lose weight!):help:

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by spincycle9
:help: I have a Sun Mammoth rear rim-36 hole, straight guage spokes- and it keeps getting knocked out of true. I weigh about 220lbs. and I freeride mostly, so I would like something that can handle the hits a little better. Any suggestions?? (besides lose weight!):help:
You can try a Mavic 321

SpasticJack

Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
What tires are you running? A beefier tire might help protect the rim some. I've had good luck with Kujos.

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
Its tough on parts when you're pushing weight, eh!? I tip the scales right around you with gear and my RinoLytes have treated me real well. I actually just picked up a set of DitchWitches from SunRims, they look good and beefy too!:thumb: I never thought about the tire choice variable other than for the riding conditions I'll be in, so I can't speak to that, but I usually run a 2.1-2.3 in the rear, and a 2.3-2.5 up front...

Here's the disclaimer: I don't usually drop much higher than 5 foot ledges:rolleyes: which for me is fine!!!:D I only mention that, because you said you freeride...it means different things to diferent people. Good luck.

Shibby

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
cambridge, ma
is the rim bending/denting, or are the spokes always coming out of tension?

although i've never tried it, i would recommend getting the wheel tied and sautered... i've heard it does wonders for stiffness and maintaining tension...

they just wrap a band of sauter around each cross, then melt 'er down

SpasticJack

Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
tying and soldering actually uses wire to do the wrapping and then solder to hold the wire in place. Once a wheel is properly tensioned, tied and soldered, the effective spoke length is cut to the distance from the outermost cross to the rim. It does help with stiffness and durability but is pretty time consuming. The wheel MUST be properly tensioned and stress relieved before tying or it can create more problems.

Ranger

Swift, Silent, Deadly!
Aug 16, 2001
Y'all can't see me...
Servus!

Jack has it correct - but the wheels are simply bombproof. Problem is - in the states anyhow - is finding someone to do ti correctly. Here in Europe you can get it done by any reputable wheelbuilder but prepare yourself for sticker shock.

Being that my body has stored energy quite efficiently over the years, I will be getting wired wheels next time I get a wheelset.