Quantcast

I pimpith a new tent...

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Man crappy tents have gone way up in price... I went into an outdoors place yesterday to snag a new tent. I needed a new tent that could pack fairly tight. Anyway, I grabbed a little Comeman tent and didnt even think to look at the price (last coleman I bought was like $35). I get to the counter and Blammo, $90 for the little POS. I was like hold on, If Im spending that much cash Im getting a fatty tent... went back and visited the Kelty section found a 4 man tent in a tiny little box, small as the 2 man Coleman.

Check it out:

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Nice!
As with bikes, you get what you pay for, so I always think it is better to shell out a little more cheese first instead of buying a replacement later.

Are you gonna test it out in Cass? How about Eureka Springs in July? :D

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
TN said:
Nice!
As with bikes, you get what you pay for, so I always think it is better to shell out a little more cheese first instead of buying a replacement later.

Testing it out at Wakarusa starting tomorrow, it will be my home for the better part of a week I guess. I'm hardly roughing it though. I'm bringing a massive cooler full of spaten beer and a bunch of food, a perfectly sized futon mat for the floor of the tent :drool:. A reclining hammock(sp) chair with beer holder... Methinks I will have a pretty tight camp site.

The only down side... I wish I wasnt going by myself :(
Everyone I know had to work or couldn't afford tickets, pretty lame.

Plus the bike is coming too... apparently there is a trailhead 1/8 mile from my campsite:

TULSATUMBLERSGF

GRASSHOPPER
Jan 22, 2004
Tulsa, OK
TN said:
Nice!

good questions for the guy who keeps promising to come and ride and party with us at a downhill race and now has no GF to hold him back....

soooo huh, huh, huh? are ya?!?!?! are ya???

TULSATUMBLERSGF

GRASSHOPPER
Jan 22, 2004
Tulsa, OK
golgiaparatus said:
Iyaint promichit
well u should... ur missing a large time and eureka springs should be AWESOME! not to mention it is hippieville and you should LOVE that! it will be sooo much fun! Cass seems pretty scary to me! not sure what i am thinking of that right now!

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
TULSATUMBLERSGF said:
well u should... ur missing a large time and eureka springs should be AWESOME! not to mention it is hippieville and you should LOVE that! it will be sooo much fun! Cass seems pretty scary to me! not sure what i am thinking of that right now!
Worry not... I'll most likely hit a race when I am in a condition to race. Remember, I'm still rehabbing my shoulder from reinjuring it. I'm riding light right now. Well, light compared to a DH race.

TULSATUMBLERSGF

GRASSHOPPER
Jan 22, 2004
Tulsa, OK
golgiaparatus said:
Worry not... I'll most likely hit a race when I am in a condition to race. Remember, I'm still rehabbing my shoulder from reinjuring it. I'm riding light right now. Well, light compared to a DH race.
well just come for the company... come hangout and camp for the weekend and meet all kinda of cool people...

cooter is trying to kill me... he is making me go riding EVERY night of the week... since he is trying to get us into better shape... ugh!

Sunday he took me on some PHUCKED UP trail on turkey that started up top and just tore me a new arsehole! cooter even wiped out on it and skinned his arm up... i walked 90% of it... then we dropped into HO CHI and that was fun again... oh i was cursing him!

Cooter Brown

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2002
Snow Hall, tweakin on math
TULSATUMBLERSGF said:
Sunday he took me on some PHUCKED UP trail on turkey that started up top and just tore me a new arsehole! cooter even wiped out on it and skinned his arm up... i walked 90% of it... then we dropped into HO CHI and that was fun again... oh i was cursing him!

I took her on High Chi, heh heh :thumb: ;)

this was her----------> :mumble:

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Cooter Brown said:
I took her on High Chi, heh heh :thumb: ;)

this was her----------> :mumble:
Bahahaha!!!! That smiley is a perfect impression of someones first time on the hichi. If you dont ride that trail often it can be a technical biyatch... which direction were you going North? Thats the most pain in the butt way to go IMHO :thumb:

Cooter Brown

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2002
golgiaparatus said:
Bahahaha!!!! That smiley is a perfect impression of someones first time on the hichi. If you dont ride that trail often it can be a technical biyatch... which direction were you going North? Thats the most pain in the butt way to go IMHO :thumb:

yep, headed north, and lemme tell ya, she was PIST :angry:

:cool: :cool:

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
BTW Vnessa, if'n you ride the hichi every day... not only are you going to be in shape, but you are going to have mad technical/balance skillz. When I'm riding that trail alot I feel unstoppable.

Nate, you should stop and make her conquer each section... :think: well every 3 sections :D Stopping at every section is like stopping every 5 yards.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
golgiaparatus said:
Man crappy tents have gone way up in price... I went into an outdoors place yesterday to snag a new tent. I needed a new tent that could pack fairly tight. Anyway, I grabbed a little Comeman tent and didnt even think to look at the price (last coleman I bought was like $35). I get to the counter and Blammo, $90 for the little POS. I was like hold on, If Im spending that much cash Im getting a fatty tent... went back and visited the Kelty section found a 4 man tent in a tiny little box, small as the 2 man Coleman.

Check it out:
I love my Coleman 7x7 tent....similiar to this one but Green and tan
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=38470418&memberId=12500226

I took it out two weekends ago and it poured rain all night....the rainfly is huge and the tarp bottom (and like 6+ inches on the sides) kept me dry but nervous. :D It isn't a back backing tent but it sets up quick and breaks down just as fast. There is no way I would buy a tent without a tarp bottom for this PNW :D The other tenters around me all got wet. haha....I listened to the the rain all night and even checked around in the dark.....no leakage.

Does your tent have a tarp bottom? They are much smaller/lighter if they don't.

TULSATUMBLERSGF

GRASSHOPPER
Jan 22, 2004
Tulsa, OK
golgiaparatus said:
BTW Vnessa, if'n you ride the hichi every day... not only are you going to be in shape, but you are going to have mad technical/balance skillz. When I'm riding that trail alot I feel unstoppable.

Nate, you should stop and make her conquer each section... :think: well every 3 sections :D Stopping at every section is like stopping every 5 yards.
stopping would be the key here! he gets sooo far ahead of me that i actually thought i had missed a turn last night and was lost!

he was frustrated with me and i was ticked at myself for not being able to do it and i thought he purposefully took me on that trail to show me what a bad arse he was and how bad i sucked...so i was really ticked at him, but i guess i was wrong... i still suck and he is still a bad arse but it wasnt his intention...

and i wonder where my 6 yr old daughter gets her inability to accept responsibility... she wants to always blame someone else! ha ha

TULSATUMBLERSGF

GRASSHOPPER
Jan 22, 2004
Tulsa, OK
DNA said:
Did she ghostride it through any sections (like the finish line at Mena)?
hey now... give me props... i did conquer that finish line steep ending and rode it MANY times after that!

i didnt ghost ride at turkey but i did have him come up and get my bike and take it down the steep decline to the other trail that i can ride more easily! :thumb:

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
TULSATUMBLERSGF said:
hey now... give me props... i did conquer that finish line steep ending and rode it MANY times after that!

i didnt ghost ride at turkey but i did have him come up and get my bike and take it down the steep decline to the other trail that i can ride more easily! :thumb:
The proper response to my taunt would have been "at least I wasn't a total wuss and go home after wrecking a few times." :monkey:

TULSATUMBLERSGF

GRASSHOPPER
Jan 22, 2004
Tulsa, OK
DNA said:
The proper response to my taunt would have been "at least I wasn't a total wuss and go home after wrecking a few times." :monkey:
i would have to say... u were REALLY missed when u left and went home... i wish you had stayed and partied with us... :dead:

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
I plan on going to Cass (and bring beer with me this time in case it is another dry county). Another guy is coming with me this time, so no leaving early this time. Do you Tulsanians know of anyone looking for a cheap, burly hardtail? He is debating about dragging this bike along with us.

Cooter Brown

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2002
DNA said:
I plan on going to Cass (and bring beer with me this time in case it is another dry county). Another guy is coming with me this time, so no leaving early this time. Do you Tulsanians know of anyone looking for a cheap, burly hardtail? He is debating about dragging this bike along with us.

and just what kind of cheap burly hardtail are we talkin here? fork, wheels and such??? I'm wanting one

oh, and just how cheap?

TULSATUMBLERSGF

GRASSHOPPER
Jan 22, 2004
Tulsa, OK
DNA said:
SSSSHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

cooter wants a hard tail sooo bad he can taste it... but we cant afford one till sept... what kind of bike is it??? what does he have on it?

TULSATUMBLERSGF

GRASSHOPPER
Jan 22, 2004
Tulsa, OK
Cooter Brown said:
and just what kind of cheap burly hardtail are we talkin here? fork, wheels and such??? I'm wanting one

oh, and just how cheap?
d@mn this slow arse dialup connection and crappy computer! it is too slow and u beat me every time...

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
RhinofromWA said:
I love my Coleman 7x7 tent....similiar to this one but Green and tan
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=38470418&memberId=12500226

I took it out two weekends ago and it poured rain all night....the rainfly is huge and the tarp bottom (and like 6+ inches on the sides) kept me dry but nervous. :D It isn't a back backing tent but it sets up quick and breaks down just as fast. There is no way I would buy a tent without a tarp bottom for this PNW :D The other tenters around me all got wet. haha....I listened to the the rain all night and even checked around in the dark.....no leakage.

Does your tent have a tarp bottom? They are much smaller/lighter if they don't.
Thanks Rhino... your my savior man... NOTE TO SELF: Pack the damn tarp

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
TULSATUMBLERSGF said:
i was ticked at myself for not being able to do it
Dont get frustrated... its a difficult trail, perhaps one of the most difficult at turkey... You gotta relax and it basically works like this: Carve, hammer, turn like hell, pray to god, & repeat.

Going north is so hard because it has those intense technical climbs that come out of nowhere... especially thst one, you know the one.