Quantcast

I planted 3 trees, and it isn't even earthday.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Pecan
Arizona Ash*
Mountain Ash*
Crepe Myrtles
Redbuds
Chilopsis linearis 'Bubba'
Golden Rain Tree
Japanese maple
Vitex(Chaste Tree)
Cedar
Arborvitae
Red oak
Sophora secundiflora (Texas Mountain Laurel)

Trash trees -- hackberry and ligustrum

*Many of the ashes are on their last legs as Gramps thought that it was a good idea to top them.:disgust1:

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
That's pretty interesting. Spring is getting on well here. Maples have big buds on them, daffodils are already blooming.
Would like to see some coyote action down here. Saw a big one dead beside the road the other day...hear them at night, but they are a rare sight.

Here's the tree species off the top of my head that I have on my land.
Red Maple
Eastern Redbud
American Holly
Silver Maple
Tulip Poplar
White Pine
Black Walnut
Black Cherry
Umbrella Magnolia
White Oak
Chestnut Oak
Mockernut Hickory
Eastern Red Cedar
White Cedar
American Beech
Lombardy Poplar
Apple
Pear
American Chestnut
Smooth Bark Sumac (Blaaaaaaaaaaah!!!)
Mimosa (blah!)
Yew
Scarlet Oak

Edit: Flowering Dogwood
That's quite a collection. I absolutely love mimosas. My parents hate them with an undying passion and got rid of every one that we had on our land. I think they are the best trees after weeping willows and live oak.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I hate mimosas with the fire of a thousand suns.

Id much rather have something like black or honey locust which is a native and not all too dissimilar ... but isnt an invasive, and has actual uses in the world besides annoying me. I think they are from China... they should all go back there.

But that's not to say I hate all imports. Apple, Pear, etc. are all nice. Ginkos are neat.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Pecan
Arizona Ash*
Mountain Ash*
Crepe Myrtles
Redbuds
Chilopsis linearis 'Bubba'
Golden Rain Tree
Japanese maple
Vitex(Chaste Tree)
Cedar
Arborvitae
Red oak
Sophora secundiflora (Texas Mountain Laurel)

Trash trees -- hackberry and ligustrum

*Many of the ashes are on their last legs as Gramps thought that it was a good idea to top them.:disgust1:
Do you actually get pecans from the pecan tree?
Im planting on making a mountain laurel or rhododendron shrubbery around the house instead of this tacky yew I got now. Pretty neat stuff. Almost has a bonsai-esque look to it.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
For some reason, I dont have any of those sugar maples, but I did forget to mention that I have Sassafras growing the gulch.. a few of them actually.
I have so much deadfall at the moment that I dont really think I should be killing much else for the critters. Plenty to eat on now.
I havent seen a pilleated woodpecker here, but plenty of redbellies and northern flickers.
Got a neat flock of chickadees too.
Hey, check this out!

Saw this big fella outside this morning, and took this photo of him hammering away at an apple tree. Went outside and saw it and another one fly off. Hopefully it means I have a nesting pair somewhere around. Big birds, probably 14" tall.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
What are your top three favorite trees?

Mine are ironwood, black birch, and shagbark hickory.

Carpinus caroliniana (American Hornbeam) is a small hardwood tree in the genus Carpinus. American Hornbeam is also occasionally known as blue-beech or musclewood. It is native to eastern North America, from Minnesota and southern Ontario east to Maine, and south to eastern Texas and northern Florida.

It is a small tree reaching heights of 10-15 m, rarely 20 m, and often has a fluted and crooked trunk. The bark is smooth and greenish-grey, becoming shallowly fissured in old trees. The leaves are alternate, 3-12 cm long, with prominent veins giving a distinctive corrugated texture, and a serrated margin. The male and female catkins appear in spring at the same time as the leaves. The fruit is a small 7-8 mm long nut, partially surrounded by a three- to seven-pointed leafy involucre 2-3 cm long; it matures in autumn. The seeds often do not germinate till the spring of the second year after maturating.

* Carpinus caroliniana subsp. caroliniana. Atlantic coastal plain north to Delaware, and lower Mississippi Valley west to eastern Texas. Leaves mostly smaller, 3-9 cm long, and relatively broader, 3-6 cm broad.
* Carpinus caroliniana subsp. virginiana. Appalachian Mountains and west to Minnesota and south to Arkansas. Leaves mostly larger, 8-12 cm long, and relatively narrower, 3.5-6 cm broad.

In the central states, there are two native hornbeams, both also called ironwood. Hop hornbeam, Ostrya virginiana, has light brown shreddy bark and gets the hop hornbeam name from the cluster of overlapping seed pods which resemble a cone of fruits on a hop vine. American hornbeam, Carpinus caroliniana has smooth grey bark which is often rippled like muscle, causing it to be called muscle-wood in some areas.
Betula lenta (Sweet Birch, also known as Black Birch, Cherry Birch, Mahogany Birch, River Birch, or Spice Birch) is a species of birch native to eastern North America, from southern Maine west to southernmost Ontario and southern Michigan, and south in the Appalachian Mountains to northern Georgia.

It is a medium-sized deciduous tree reaching 20 m tall with a trunk up to 60 cm diameter. The bark is (unlike most birches) rough, dark blackish-brown, cracking into irregular scaly plates. The twigs, when scraped, have a strong scent of oil of wintergreen. The leaves are alternate, ovate, 5-10 cm long and 4-8 cm broad, with a finely serrated margin. The flowers are wind-pollinated catkins 3-6 cm long, the male catkins pendulous, the female catkins erect. The fruit, maturing in fall, is composed of numerous tiny winged seeds packed between the catkin bracts.

Betula lenta was used commercially in the past for production of oil of wintergreen before modern industrial synthesis; the tree's name reflects this scent of the shoots.

The sap flows about a month later than maple sap, and much faster. The trees can be tapped in a similar fashion, but must be gathered about three times more often. Birch sap can be boiled the same as maple sap, but its syrup is stronger (like molasses).
* Carya ovata var. ovata (Northern Shagbark Hickory). Largest leaflets over 20 cm long; nuts 3-4 cm long.
* Carya ovata var. australis (Southern Shagbark Hickory or Carolina Hickory). Largest leaflets under 20 cm long; nuts 2.5-3 cm long.

Some sources consider Southern Shagbark Hickory as the separate species Carya carolinae-septentrionalis

Uses

The nuts are edible with an excellent flavor, and are a popular food among those who know them. The trees bear too seldom for them to be grown commercially. Shagbark Hickory wood is used for smoking meat and for making the bows of Native Americans of the northern area.

Hickory Syrup

The bark of the Shagbark Hickory is also used to flavour a maple syrup-style sugar syrup.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Saw this big fella outside this morning, and took this photo of him hammering away at an apple tree. Went outside and saw it and another one fly off. Hopefully it means I have a nesting pair somewhere around. Big birds, probably 14" tall.
We saw one those on campus in our ecology class strangely - we weren't looking for it, I just happened to sight it and the professor is the director of the ornithology lab. He was excited to see and whipped out a huge spotting out of the back of his truck.

edit: a woodpecker just pecked the wall of our my house - I'm guessing its a flicker but can't see through walls

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
What are your top three favorite trees?

Mine are ironwood, black birch, and shagbark hickory.
American Beech

Umbrella Magnolia

American Holly

I also really like the Oaks and Hickorys alot...they bring in alot of wildlife but something about those three really get to me.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Lots of cool trees I've seen on vacation, but its harder to appreciate exotic trees you don't see that often.

Mangrove, Balboa, Sausage, Redwood, Sequoia, and some other misc. species I've seen in CR and NZ.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
worst tree ever:

bradford pear
Don't like bees/wasps/hornets, heh?

Fruit trees are a pain if the fruit isn't managed.

I kinda like mulberry trees even those are a PITA, well at least the bitches:D

Osage oranges trees have interesting features, I sometimes seen the female trees here and there. Their fruit are fun to throw, look interesting dry, and act as a natural insect repellant.

Mango trees are probably my favorite since I love mangoes, but can't grow them up here:(

Bushwhacker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
Tar Effing River!! NC
worst tree ever:* bradford pear
*I second that...also the most over planted POS in my area.*Along with the removal and replanting project, I am in the process of pruning about 100 bradfords that are on the site. I see me and my pole pruner becoming very well aquainted...:weee:*oh...on top of just plain sucking...they have to be the worst smelling tree on the planet

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
I would like to plant some persimmon around the edges of my impending cedar thicket. It'd be a deer magnet.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
I dont want to kill the deer. But I want to have them close... just in case I need to.