Quantcast

I think I killed my fox 40...

Apr 16, 2005
Charlotte, NC
So today I bottomed out the fork pretty hard and when it hit full travel it made a big metal hitting metal sound. The fork now feels as if it has no rebound nor compression and none of the adjustments work. You can feel that the spring is the only thing working and if you lift up the front after compressing the fork kicks out and sounds like metal hitting metal.
Im sure I F.ed up the cartrige...:shakefist:
So what do I do now?
Do I have to but a new cratrige or can it be fixed?
What do you recommend I should do?
O its an 06 fox 40R.

the diner

Monkey
Jun 19, 2006
Davidson, NC
PWNED
jk man, dang that sucks man i was lookin forward to ridin wit u as soon as u got back hope u can figure this out
o and i got nothin, i dont kno anything bout 40s

TtotheJ

Monkey
Jan 23, 2005
B'ham, WA
I had the same thing happen to me at Whistler. I sent the fork into Fox hoping they could fix it for less then the cost of a new cartridge. Fox ended up replacing the whole cartridge cause I guess they're is not a whole lot they can fix on it. If I were you I would just pay to get the new '08 FIT cartridge. When I sent my fork in I got an '07 cartridge (had an '05 fork) and it made a world of difference in how the fork worked i.e. it didn't bottom out nearly as often or as easily. I have heard the new '08 cartridges are even better so that's probably your best bet.

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
no its no dead, the bladder probably popped out of the cartridge or you got air trap in there now...If you now have the tools to rebuilt the cartridge is a bit of a pain in the ass to do and I would recommend you send it to fork...

How long has it been since you've changed the oil in that cartridge anyway?I do mine once a month and the lowers every 2 weeks...Otherwise it feels like poop...:plthumbsdown:

Jan 20, 2008
Santa Rosa
Sounds like you snapped your rebound cartrage. My friend has broken his 2 times in his 36. He sent is to fox and got a new one replaced twice, for free. all though he does work at a bike shop.

Apr 16, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Heres the video of when it happened. you can hear how nasty it sounded.

http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l307/sbstian/?action=view&current=MOV01135.flv

what I think is wierd is that I didnt really do anything crazy to blow the cartrige.
I was looking at the video and it looks as the front wheel went head on with a rock sticking out of the ground when I dropped.
If you see, the fork threw me back up when it broke thats why I stopped.

Apr 16, 2005
Charlotte, NC
yeah... But theres more to that drop than what you can see in the video. Its a pretty steep section and the landing is packed with rocks. It looks very different in real life. Most of the people that Ive seen hit it get a good full travel on it.

But the fork was set pretty well. I usually make sure the suspension is perfectlly set.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
yeah... But theres more to that drop than what you can see in the video. Its a pretty steep section and the landing is packed with rocks. It looks very different in real life. Most of the people that Ive seen hit it get a good full travel on it.

But the fork was set pretty well. I usually make sure the suspension is perfectlly set.
I didnt realize it didnt have comp.!
I just realized it was a 06 like you posted and I know they had comp issues apparently that each year gets better and better.
Send it to Fox and let them do there stuff too it.

Still thats crazy you bottomed that hard on that!

Dmadness

Chimp
Jun 10, 2008
fox 40's are poo, I blew up my rebound cartridge 7 times in a year and a half.... total garbage, I took it to a few different shops for replacement and rebuild's....Crappy fork, IMO. i just got mine back from a factory rebuild and will happily sell it unridden since, like one before said, Rebuild, and Sell, then get a 888.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
This could be your chance to replace it with the BOS damper.

Im in the same boat as you right now, and I dont know what I want to do. Fix it or get a 888.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
i am pretty sure its a broken compression rod.

they have a history of breaking in the 40 r. if nothing else in the fork is broken that it will be a fairly cheap fix.

be prepared to have to pay for new bushings, because bad bushing tolerances is supposed to be the cause of that failure.

look on the bright side, you can get a new cart. that would make your fork an 08 straight away.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
I called fox today to see what the damage was gonna be. Im having basically the same problems you are. My estimate was for 150-350. The 350 is if they have to install a new damper assembly. Not as bad as I thought and significantly cheaper than buying the BOS upgrade.

Long story short my fork is on its way to cali.