Quantcast

I think I need to re-think my gearing...help

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Okay here's the scoop - I currently have my Marin in a 34:18 set up but I think that might be tough for me on technical climbs.

I really don't want to change the front chainring as it is a nice Spot 34T SS chainring. So should I try a 20t cog in the rear? would this help?

:help:

slowSSer

mnoeky
Aug 14, 2002
Stepford
34:20 seemed to be popular with the mtbr ss crowd from oregon- at least its been both times ive ridden with them. however, if the main ride is as flat as the last time I was there, gearing down to 2:1. spun out at the back of the pack wasnt fun.

here in socal, 34:20 is my sorta-in-shape gear- going 21 when out of shape (enless 21 on order- damn needed!) and down to 19 when doing finr (19 is obviously gathering dust)

oh- 34:20 was golden in sedona on slickrock, trails, etc. think it'd be good for durango colo riding as well.

1speed

Chimp
Oct 1, 2001
boulder
You really need to gear for your area. Why not try a 19 but go back to 18 if it gets too easy? I live in CO and ride a lot of high altitude steep trails but stick with 34:18 most of the time (yes there is pain involved at times). I have a 17 and a 19 cog that I can go to. 34:20 would is just too small for me. It would make some of the tech climb easier but it would take the fun out of most of the ride. I just learned to really pick my lines carefully, use my body, know when to crank and when to crank harder etc. That's just me and terrain and people vary. I have been riding SS for over 4 yrs and only ride a geared bike on the road so my view may be a little different from some other riders.

As long as YOU enjoy it and it feels good, who cares what gear your pushing.

Polytics

Chimp
Mar 28, 2005
Vancouver, BC, Canadistan
I've been using a 34-21 for a while in the Pacific Northwest. I was using a 34-19 but it was just too much gear for technical riding with any uphill (roots etc). As posted above you really have to gear up for your area.

KaiMana

Chimp
Oct 12, 2001
Woodland Park, CO
It is okay to walk stuff. When you start ss'ing you feel like you should climb everything like on the geary, but often if you can't crank up it in the gear your running it is faster to run. The guy I SS with is gearing up to be faster over and run more sections.

kicknitLivE

Monkey
Jul 12, 2004
Boulder
I use 32-19 and I only spin out on fire roads since the trails here are so technical, rocky and root infested. I almost never have to walk and Im usually head of the pack, even on the downhill. I like the 32 up front because it gives me increased clearance and it weighs less. My gearing is also good for wheelies, and manuals into bunny hops (my favorite move, maintains better speed than a standard bunny hop).

jugdish

Chimp
Jul 10, 2001
Colorado
KaiMana said:
It is okay to walk stuff. When you start ss'ing you feel like you should climb everything like on the geary, but often if you can't crank up it in the gear your running it is faster to run. The guy I SS with is gearing up to be faster over and run more sections.
Oh yeah, what he said.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
i run a 2:1 ratio in new england. pretty damn hard but its gonna get me in shape. im usually walking up alot of climbs though unless they are short and not very steep or technical.