Quantcast

I think my fox vanilla is screwed up, help needed!

TickTock

Chimp
Aug 1, 2002
~Boston~
I have been hearing a little noise from time to time and always disregarded it but now I looked into it further and need some advice.

I was getting a "click" when i would put the wheel between my legs and torque the fork. I always assumed it was my stem or headset. Well tonight I had the fork off the frame, stem off, wheel off and when I manually torqued the legs, I still heard the noise. I think its coming from near the top of one of the stanchions but I cant be sure. What could be causing this? (its not cracked) Could it just be a bad press since its all pressed like the steerer?

I really dont want to have to send it in and wait three weeks if I dont really need to. I cant feel any movement at all accompanying the sound, it doesnt affect anything at all and I cant even hear it unless im on pavement and doing slow speed pivoting or such that cause the torque. Otherwise on the trail, its too faint to even be noticable.

I have already tried re-torquing the bolt that looses to do cpring changes, checking the rebound knobs, etc etc. Its certainly the fork and not something else since it happens when the fork isnt hooked up to anything.

Its not the bushing noise lots of people complain about. it only happens under twisting torque of the lowers, not under any actual compression of the fork.

Any ideas/advice/personal experience would be great. Thanks!

Arutha

Monkey
Nov 26, 2002
Western PA
Could it be where the crown and stanchions meet? A friend of mine has a creaking noise on his Z1s. Doesn't seem to affect performance, just annoying. If you start to feel more flex or if it gets pretty loud then I might get it checked out. Maybe someone else has had more experience with this and could give you better insight than I.

I have a Vanilla R and have had no problem aside from a knocking sound when compressed quickly, which ended up being a air pocket.

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
Most sus forks creak at the crown stanction interface.

If its really bad then fox should replace it.

TickTock

Chimp
Aug 1, 2002
~Boston~
Whew! that makes me feel better. Its just a noice, no slip, no movement, no nothing. It just when I do stuff like lock the front wheel, compress the fork and pivot or trackstand and pivot that I hear it.

Im gonna ingore it unless it gets worse.

Thanks!

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
hmm, I wouldn't nix the bushings just yet. My fork has bad bushings, no matter how much fox says they are okay they are definately bad. Just to make sure I wasn't imagining things I took the fork off the bike and tried to twist the lowers, they don't really twist but they do flex enough to feel the slop in the bushings. If it is the bushings you'll know because the fork will clatter like mad when you ride on rough surfaces and you'll post somewhat negative comments about Fox's bushing replacement policy. As soon as my warranty is up I am going to dissect the fork and make my own turquite bushings, that should solve the problem. Apparently bushing play is "normal" in most fox forks, although I seem to be the only one with the problem.

iconic

Chimp
Feb 12, 2002
my 2002 fox vanilla R is sort of screwed as well. when i apply the front brake and rock the bike back and forth (im off the bike), there is a definate noise and feel. it's not the headset, i've tightened it up heaps. the sound is from the rebound (right stanction) side, only really occurs when there is travel, so maybe it is the bushing/air thing...

i had my fork serviced by the local distributors, saying the rebound rod was bent, because the knob was hitting the frame when turning the handlebars.. i had a few stacks making it worse, but the techinican has straightened it as much as possible he says. i hope it's nothing major too!