Quantcast

I wana pick up Sculling

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Looking for good resources on technique etc and also where to get good equipment at a decent price. I found some shells that were $4g, that’s a little over my budget I’m 5Ben’s to a G.

Zaskar Rider

Monkey
May 29, 2002
PNW
The best thing you could do to get into rowing is to join a masters rowing team. Since you want to get into it I assume you're close to a body of water, there's got to be some sort of program nearby that offers a masters program. That way they'll teach you how to row and you should have a lot of equipment at your disposal. Plus you won't have to store a boat that way.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Originally posted by Zaskar Rider
The best thing you could do to get into rowing is to join a masters rowing team. Since you want to get into it I assume you're close to a body of water, there's got to be some sort of program nearby that offers a masters program. That way they'll teach you how to row and you should have a lot of equipment at your disposal. Plus you won't have to store a boat that way.
uhhhh yea the gulf of mexico, Trinity river, Brazos river, Lake conroe, lake houston (stink pot) Guadualupe river....

cool thanks i'll look into it.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Originally posted by Serial Midget
Hmmm - that is going to be an expensive hobby. :eek:

I friend of mine just bought an olympic class shell used for $2,500.00 - looks pretty sweet though.
man i started looking and the only things i could find are carbon/kevlar ones. i really dont want to spend that much(stupid light at 32lbs rigged.) maybe a nice fiberglass shell?

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Originally posted by stoney98
think pocock. (aka slocock) They're wide, bouyant and heavy. Look for some round blades (not hatchets!!!) They work your technique 10x more and and easy to correct if you catch a crap (ie dig your oar) so you *probably* won't flip.
thanks for all the info, i've done quite a bit of paddling, just no rowing.

hehehe you said cock.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
My next kayak paddle MSRPs at $400.00... I'm waiting for some money to fall from heaven. :)

Anytime you want to go fast light is good. Kevlar shells last forever and retain a fair amount of their value - the market for used is pretty good on the quality stuff.

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
I'm an X-coxswain and sculler. I'd recommend the men's team as well, you'll have fun with the comraderie, learn the right techniques and have access to much nicer shells than you might purchase yourself.

The best way I learned to scull was to have someone take me out in a double and hold the shell steady until I learned to balance properly. Like training wheels. It's always better to learn with others before going totally solo in that sport.

Zaskar Rider

Monkey
May 29, 2002
PNW

I'm a 5 year rower and was recruited to Cal for crew which is a top 3 school nationally, so I have a *slight* idea of what I'm talking about.

-Stoney

Looks like there's a little friendly competition on this board ;) I was a rower at the UW although I'm only 5'9" so it's safe to say I wasn't recruited to row.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Originally posted by Jr_Bullit
I'm an X-coxswain and sculler. I'd recommend the men's team as well, you'll have fun with the comraderie, learn the right techniques and have access to much nicer shells than you might purchase yourself.

The best way I learned to scull was to have someone take me out in a double and hold the shell steady until I learned to balance properly. Like training wheels. It's always better to learn with others before going totally solo in that sport.

Will you marry me? I'll move to cali, you wont have to move to humidiston. I have a BUNCH of BRAND NEW CAMPING GEAR.

J

JRB

Originally posted by Jr_Bullit
I'd recommend the men's team as well, you'll have fun with the comraderie, learn the right techniques.
I think Tony has already joined a men's team if you know what I mean.

Zaskar Rider

Monkey
May 29, 2002
PNW
I'm the other end 6'4" 200, yeah, I fall under full crew ogre status. My favorite is when people ask me if I raced lightweights. It's like WTF? I'm 6 fuking 4!!! I'm over 200 pounds what do you fuking think I rowed? Bantem weights?

All I have to say about UW is....well, at least I dont have a pasty white bald head!:D
Haha, yeah I'd say you're right in there with the standard sized rower. What kind of crackheads asked you if you rowed lightweight? Are they retarded or are they so skewed bye the fatness of our current population to think that 200 pounds is light?
Hmm...I don't have anything to say pasty white baldness is just tradition around here.

It'll be interesting to see what happens tommorow and the next day though. UW won their heat and cal went smokin' fast in theirs too. It should be a good rumble in the finals.

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
I've been out so long I don't care anymore. At least here, when you quit, you're out. For good. So I'm not really to up on how the team is doing anymore.

I did get alot of good life lessons out of it though.

1. You're not "spent" until you physically can't move anymore

2. The human body can take and incredible amount of pain and still funciton

3. There are lots of people who are stronger. faster ,and better than me, but I can take more pain. -Pre

4. Mashing is NOT normal, even if you can do it for 3 hours without getting tired.

5. A rowers tolerance for pain is NOT normal.

6. I will not quit unless:
a) I've crossed the finish line
b) Already lost (as in THEY crossed the finishline)
c) I've passed out from lack of oxygen to my brain
d) My oar is broken.

My favorite sounds go like this: woosh--THUNK--ssssss (slide) -----woosh ---THUNK---ssssssss
You forgot a couple:

You won't quit until either you get to strangle your coxswain if you lost
or
you get to throw your coxswain into the lake like a beach ball if you win. ;)

Oh, and of course a coxswain is never skinny enough...
And seeing a 6' amazon woman stripping nekkid after starving and sweating herself to fit into the lightweight or even flyweight category is an amazing thing...it's even more amazing going up against said woman in the flyweight category...:eek: I concur that your sentiments for a rowers ability to withstand pain is not normal.

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
I thought about doing crew..except I couldn't hack getting up at 0 dark 30 every morning back in college...so I played rugby and taekwondo instead.