Quantcast

I wanna hear all you got about chainguides!

[evo]

Chimp
Apr 4, 2004
Toronto
Looking for the opinion of anyone who has/had one. I *will* be getting one, but I want to hear your experiences with the ones you rode :) Is it noisy? Still leave lotsa slack? look fugly? I only need it to work with a single ring.

so far I've been checkin out :

E-thirteen (sexy bashguard)
DS-1 (heard its not the best?)
mr dirt (FUGLY)
Truvativ (match mah cranks:) )

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I'm using an E13 right now, works great. I had a Mr Dirt a couple years ago, it never gave me any problems either. I've never tried the Truvativ guide, because everyone I've talked to about it says it's JUNK. Go-ride actually refused to sell me one because they knew I wouldn't like it.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
E.13 is top notch. Fairly quiet, better bashguard than anything else on the market, and the best customer service around.

All a chainguide has to do is keep your chain on. Most of 'em do it fine. But when, for the same price, you get something slightly better than what anyone else has to offer (very low drag, better bashguard, better CS), why buy something else?

If E.13's customer service ever goes into the crapper, it might make some of these other company's products worthwhile, but I just don't see that happening!

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Heh, 3 years ago it would have been easy, mrp was the only real solution. Now with E13 its tougher.

I never lost a chain with an mrp and they were very quiet (soft rollers) but I bent the hell out of the bash guards on a regular basis. Setup was pretty easy (sytem2), but 2mm setscrews are hard to reach and easy to strip.

E13 SRS guide, I've never lost a chain, I've never bent a bashring, but they are noisier. Not a big deal and not as noisy as some other guides, just noisier than a properly setup MRP. Setting up an E13 is very easy, not much to say there.

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
I saw the new Truvativ plastic bashguard in Holland last week and I think it might give the E-13 a run for it's money. That said, my son runs an E-13 with no problems. I have an MRP DS-2 and I notice my shifting isn't as crisp as when I ran a triple in the front. But it has never dropped a chain.
The E-13 boomerang is the burliest of them all.

edo-chan

Chimp
Aug 9, 2002
sunny Gresham
I have an Evil/e-13 which was easy to set up and works flawlessly, plus has an indestructible bashguard. Mildly, mildly noisy, and never dropped a chain. Looks like it's kinda close to my tire but never interferes. As "choked" as possible on a Bullit as can be. Running a 44t ring to 8 speed. I give it three thumbs up out of two.

I have a Truvativ Boxguide on a hardtail. Forget what you read on mtbr, the thing is SILENT. Flawless on a hardtail. Zero dropped chains, zero noise, 32t to 9 speed. In this case, no bashguard, but I don't see what difference it would make. I give it four thumbs up out of two. If I had to adapt a bashguard....maybe three thumbs.

In the end, I'd tell e-13 and Truvativ to join forces or pay each other for patented parts.

EDIT:

1. Truvativ guide would require clearance if using e-13 bashguard--but just a little (like machine the inside of the bashguard).

2. Perhaps I can make my relatively quiet Evil guide silent with an hour's work.

Wingnut

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2003
Sorry, I'm Canadian ..sorry...
Of thew ones you mentioned, I've only used the Truvativ. It is easy to setup, probably the easiest around, and can be set for a wide range of ring sizes. As mentioned, great for hardtails.

I ran it on my old Super 8 and had a few dropped chains untill I cut away some of the outer guideplate to clear a bashring, then it worked flawlessly. I replaced the roller with a DMR and it was completely silent. For the price, it is unbeatable.

Blackspire make good guides, but all the little set screws and peices make it a little troublesome to setup and adjust.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Seeing as I have used all of them, here we go.

- Evil/E13. Currently on all my bikes, basically indestructable. Only ever sized up a bearing in the idler roller, and the e13 boys handed me a new one. Would pay for them for all my bikes if i wasn't sponsored by them. Amazing ground clearance and durability, and the customer service is unparrallelled.

- Mr Dirt. Ran both the older style and the new one. The new one has a tendency to break where the rollers go and then start to get VERY loud and drop chains.

- Blackspire. Too many damn bolts, too easy to break/bend. I never personally had one, but have tried others and tried to help fix them when they have lost parts.

- MRP. MUCH too easy to bend the guide plates. Had 2 of them, gave up after that as i was frustrated and tired of paying for new parts. The east coast has rocks folks!

- Truvativ. Did the first major review of this guide for them. In short, it worked flawlessly on my hardtail and never dropped a chain. The disadvantage is that you cannot use a normal bashguard, and the truvativ one is a pile of crap. You also lose clearance under the guide. My biggest gripe was the way the boomerange bolts together, the bolts would actually tear up my oversized BB cup. For my DJing bike, it was pretty damn good however.

BostonBullit

Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Medway, MA
I run a DRS on my Bullit and an SRS on my Imperial and both work flawlessly. I do prefer to run a 118 BB with any guide just to get a little more setup room in there but it's not usually a requirement. The only time I've tried the Truvative was on a demo bike at Interbike and I hated the thing. I have no idea if it was setup incorrectly or what but it was choking off the drivetrain so much that the bike might as well have been dragging an anchor. About the only way you can hurt the E13 guides is to overtighten the bashgaurd bolts with no washers in there, in which case you're a knucklehead anyway ;)

I say e13 because of:
excellent customer service
superior engineering and design
quality manufacturing
reasonable price
all around better product

[evo]

Chimp
Apr 4, 2004
Toronto
The truvativ sounds good except for the shady bashguard...whic rules it out for me

Man, it really looks like its gonna be the e13 :)

Thanks guys!

bigbirdie

Monkey
Feb 28, 2002
CT
my first was a MRP, it worked great. I went to a Mr. Dirt and it was good until I sucked a chain and then I got rid of it. I have since been on a MRP and have had not one problem with it. My friend had a e13 and it is holding up just as well and working well too.

Batman

Monkey
May 20, 2002
Mississauga
I just ordered an E.13 today from my shop! Getting it in the "East Coast" size (32-42). Good price and from what I hear, an amazing guide.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
E-13 for DH, bullit proof bash guard "NO JOKE I ACTUALY SHOT MINE" i havent droped mine once as well

get the tru-vativ for DS DJ or MX its the lightest