Quantcast

I want this jacket

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
The North Face Point Five NG

http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/sc-gear/men-39-s-point-five-ng-jacket.html

Been a fan of TNF stuff for years. Most of the stuff i own is still going strong after years of heavy use.
However this jacket isnt really cheap and i was wondering if anyone here has one.
Pros, cons, alternatives?

I dont use this jacket for going to the mall. I want something thats as water/wind proof and as breathable as possible.

Cheers

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I thought that stuff was for city hikers only.

Rubberized zips with no flap over them usually leak if you are anything but a city hiker.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
I thought that stuff was for city hikers only.

Rubberized zips with no flap over them usually leak if you are anything but a city hiker.
:stupid:

NF stuff has gone downhill in quality over the past few years. Seems they expect their clients are more likely going on an expedition to the grocery than heading into the wilderness.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i still have a black NF jacket that is probably 10 -12 years old....not as fancy as the one pictured....still repels water...zippers still work....no busted seams or anything like that....although it was kind of hot for those sunny colorado winters....

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I just walked home in the rain in a 8 year old TNF shell.
Got home safely, no explosions, clothes are still dry.
IMO: really waterproof and really breathable are mutually exclusive.

Wtf. Wear what you want. Why am I even posting again?

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
You are such Grizzly Adams mother****ers around here, obviously typing from your caves, cabins or lean tos in the Sierras, wiping bear grease on your clothes to waterproof them while you eat pemmican off a hand hewn wooden plate...

Jeebus, wear what you want to wear and can get a good deal on. This isnt a ****ing fashion show..

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
You are such Grizzly Adams mother****ers around here, obviously typing from your caves, cabins or lean tos in the Sierras, wiping bear grease on your clothes to waterproof them while you eat pemmican off a hand hewn wooden plate...

Jeebus, wear what you want to wear and can get a good deal on. This isnt a ****ing fashion show..
Jeebus I work in some of the rainiest parts of the world 8 months a year and travel to exotic places the other 4. Excuse me if I want a light weather proof jacket.
Im not looking for fashion advice. I was looking for reviews or opinions before I spend $450 on a piece of clothing.

Now excuse me while i take my utility quad to the lake to catch tonights dinner.

Last edited:

Samoto

Dec 16, 2013
I love my Mountain Equipment jacket with Goretex pro shell. Arc is overpriced ,Patagonia is good bargain.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Mtn hardware was purchased by colyumbia a few years back and is now the equivolent of the gap...

Stick with patagonia or ball out on arcteryx
acteryx is the shiznit. wait for stuff on sale and snatch a piece or 2.

I´ve also had good experiences with Columbia omnitech. waterproof/somewhat breathable/warm and cheap enough to replace often, and keep the waterproof-ness fresh.
lightweight/breathable/not so warm = pearl izumi for me.

pd. havent tried PI softshells yet (only shells)... but PI quality is top notch. check them out.

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
It'd be interesting to see which factory all of this stuff is made......probably the same one.

Last edited:

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Jeebus I work in some of the rainiest parts of the world 8 months a year and travel to exotic places the other 4. Excuse me if I want a light weather proof jacket.
Im not looking for fashion advice. I was looking for reviews or opinions before I spend $450 on a piece of clothing.

Now excuse me while i take my utility quad to the lake to catch tonights dinner.
Just ftr Kevin, I wasnt slagging on you...it was the rest of the clowns around here that sounded like Queer Eye for the Straight Monkey...

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Ha its all good. Re reading my comment it did seem a bit harsh too.
Obviously i was expecting these types of anwsers, it isnt my first day on the monkey :D
Was hoping people had experiance with this particular jacket. $550 is a lot of money but i will wear it enough to justify it.
Ive heard good things on the Arc stuff too but since their compareble shell is like $1100 here in Norway ill probably stick with the North Face one.
Ill keep an eye out for the other brands mentioned as well but I havent seen heaps of them in stores here yet.
Patagonia seems to have a nice jacket but it only comes in green and blue and it wouldnt match my shoes... ;)

Samoto

Dec 16, 2013
Ha its all good. Re reading my comment it did seem a bit harsh too.
Obviously i was expecting these types of anwsers, it isnt my first day on the monkey :D
Was hoping people had experiance with this particular jacket. $550 is a lot of money but i will wear it enough to justify it.
Ive heard good things on the Arc stuff too but since their compareble shell is like $1100 here in Norway ill probably stick with the North Face one.
Ill keep an eye out for the other brands mentioned as well but I havent seen heaps of them in stores here yet.
Patagonia seems to have a nice jacket but it only comes in green and blue and it wouldnt match my shoes... ;)
a discounted haglofs?

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Well I havent lived in Holland for 12 years now. Lived in Belgium for 4 years but since 8 years Ive been living out of my bag pretty much.
Working all over Scandinavia 8 months a year, and then travel the world the other 4.
The last two years Ive spent the winters in the caribean surfing and just enjoying island life.
Holland can go suck a big fat one :D

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
FYI - patagonia these days typically has past seasons gear on their website for up to 50% off. (typically between 30 and 40).

http://www.patagonia.com/us/shop/web-specials?k=ga
Thanks but i can only buy in a shop since im never in the same place for more then a week or so.
Ill see what I can find, just got to Sweden and im working close to Stockholm. Should be tons of stores there...

Cheers!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Thanks but i can only buy in a shop since im never in the same place for more then a week or so.
Ill see what I can find, just got to Sweden and im working close to Stockholm. Should be tons of stores there...

Cheers!
have it shipped to your next hotel?

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Well I havent lived in Holland for 12 years now. Lived in Belgium for 4 years but since 8 years Ive been living out of my bag pretty much.
Working all over Scandinavia 8 months a year, and then travel the world the other 4.
The last two years Ive spent the winters in the caribean surfing and just enjoying island life.
Holland can go suck a big fat one :D
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Kevin again...