Quantcast

I9 Carnage pics

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
:: For anyone too lazy to read the thread, I-9 returned several of my e-mails within a few hours and offered to help and provide very reasonable prices on parts and labor with a 2 day turn around time. ::

So I had a little mishap with my rear wheel Sunday at Snowshoe.

What would have caused the drive side spokes to snap right where they thread into the hub? The derailleur is straight and the chain stayed on the cassette, and I doubt the wheel hit anything since I noticed it right after riding off one of the smaller drops at the top of the Freeride side of the mountain where it's all groomed dirt.

Last edited:

bent_steel

Monkey
Jun 19, 2007
South
holy sh!t!! I have the same setup and that makes me and the baby jesus cry.

Something had to hit the spokes for them to break like that.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
you are expecting everyone to believe you were just riding along and .....

right.
honestly, it happened right after hitting the 2nd ladder drop at the top of the freeride side of snowshoe. If you've ever been there you know that its about 2' max with a smooth wide open transition. Now something could have caused it to happen beforehand, but that's when they all let go. I had a bad crash the day before so I was taking it easy sunday instead of racing. That could have caused it, but I did a couple runs down ninja bob and powerline and one run down the freeride side before I busted my wheel.

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
i see you have 823's. did I9 lace them for you? if not, i'd say your wheelbuilder did something wrong. does your frame require your wheel to have a special dish ?

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
I don't know about the dish other than its a Socom with 150mm spacing. The wheels came with dt 6.1's originally and I had them replaced by one of the mavic mechanics at a Norba national. That was almost a year ago though and it is possible that they could have been tensioned incorrectly. It seems as if most shops haven't seen the wheels before and I myself don't know how tight they should be compared to a standard steel spoke.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Quick question regarding I9's spokes (related to this thread):

I've seen several cases (8-10) of I9 spokes shearing right at the hub just like that. Does I9 do anything to their spokes to reduce the SCF where the threads end (or where the spokes exit the hub)? Seems like a small radius would relieve a lot of stress at that point in the spoke, which would help immensely with shearing, especially using aluminum spokes. I can't really tell from the pics, but appears there is a slight fillet along the threaded/unthreaded interface.

bent_steel

Monkey
Jun 19, 2007
South
that's super interesting man, I broke off a rear mech into mine about a month ago and the cage got wedged in between two spokes and the only carnage was one bent spoke. I just can't fathom that the force of a two foot drop could have broke them off into the hub regardless of fatigue from an earlier crash. From what I can see there had to be something like a stick or something that popped into the spokes to take out all of your drive side, as far as if it was not built right, I haven't had my set too long, but I relaced the back wheel recently and it is very straightforward, just like building a wheel with j-bend spokes.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Ok they do.....which is good. I was wondering if they just left a sharp corner between the threaded and unthreaded parts of the spoke....which would explain why so many shear there. Then again they are aluminum, so it's really no big surprise many do.

bent_steel

Monkey
Jun 19, 2007
South
After owning a pair, I can attest that the stiffness and engagement on the hubs are worth the price of admission.

Last edited:

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
After owning a pair, I can attest that the stiffness and engagement on the hubs are worth the price of admission.

...on the other hand if I was missing half of my spokes and looking at $10-$12 a spoke to replace them, I may have a different opinion.
oh I love the wheels. The hubs are awesome, but I hope the $10-12 per spoke is just a mean joke. I haven't called them yet to get replacements but I'm hoping they aren't half that.

BAXTER

Monkey
Jun 25, 2005
THE BURG but missing BOSTON
So I had a little mishap with my rear wheel Sunday at Snowshoe.

What would have caused the drive side spokes to snap right where they thread into the hub? The derailleur is straight and the chain stayed on the cassette, and I doubt the wheel hit anything since I noticed it right after riding off one of the smaller drops at the top of the Freeride side of the mountain where it's all groomed dirt.
I'm betting those spokes were over tensioned. My shop deals with I9 a lot and they have a very specific tension. I have a set I've been running for a year and been real happy other than the hub loosening up periodically. I have had my der. get into the spokes a few times which is a mystery. Der. hanger has never and isn't bent and I've been in my higher (13 and 11) gears every time. That sucks man. I've seen wheels blow apart like that from grabbing a fist full of rear brake before landing big drops but like I said big drops not the three small drops at the top of the lift on the eastern side. What a mystery and a bummer.

Last edited by a moderator:

bent_steel

Monkey
Jun 19, 2007
South
I know my local shop quoted me $10 a spoke for the dh spokes, bit I'm sure if you call the direct and tell them what happened they can get it sorted for cost maybe??? Maybe someone else could chime in on pricing.

Last edited:

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
I have them for ten bucks as well. I have had better luck dealing with issues like this if I9 built the wheel.
They've got to offer them for a reasonable price if you buy a whole wheels worth of spokes. That would mean that $640 worth of a $900 wheelset is for the spokes.

bent_steel

Monkey
Jun 19, 2007
South
I completly agree with you on the cost, but i've never worked at a machine shop and have no idea what the actual spokes cost to make. Are you going to be able to pull the broken bits out of the hub easily?

los jefes

Monkey
May 10, 2004
Asheville, NC
They've got to offer them for a reasonable price if you buy a whole wheels worth of spokes. That would mean that $640 worth of a $900 wheelset is for the spokes.
Looks like an improper tensioning issue.
You should contact serviceATindustrynineDOTnet

PS - The spokes are not $10 ea.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
dude ive seen an I9 rear wheels completely destroyed. i mean not 1 spoke was left, the hub was sitting on the rim. it was pretty ugly looking. the kid was up at mt. snow and i guess hit one of the many huge rock rollers and it just blew. he said he had just tensioned them too. so maybe he messed up and over tensioned them.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
i have them on my bike and i believe when i picked them up from the shop the mechanic said something along the lines of only they (i9) can build them up and do any real work on them. mayb ur mavic builder did something wrong. dont quote my on it since i was hardly payin attention to what he said

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
Since I have to replace so many of them, I'm thinking about getting color faded spokes; either red to gold or red to black if it isn't too much more expensive than just red.

Does anyone have some pics of color fade I9 spokes, or just post up your I9 wheels so I can get some ideas for colors.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
wait a second... if they just gave way, why are so many of them bent almost at 90deg angles?? I can't imagine them doing that if they just sheared off, but it almost definitely looks like something got stuck in there. Any actual engineers able to verify this?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Since I have to replace so many of them, I'm thinking about getting color faded spokes; either red to gold or red to black if it isn't too much more expensive than just red.

Does anyone have some pics of color fade I9 spokes, or just post up your I9 wheels so I can get some ideas for colors.
if you're worried about cost, you don't want to know.

Can I just say really quickly, that I think it is TERRIBLE form on your part to go posting negative publicity pics of a part from a VERY reputable US owned & operated company that pays good quality wages to local people who depend on them to feed their families. One of whom is a good friend with a wife & kid to feed.

Why post this pic before you even bother to call or get a response by email? You're just damaging the reputation of an awesome company.

Your record right now is 2 threads doing damage to 2 wonderful US companies with passionate owners, one of whom has already personally went out of his way to directly respond to you and get you exactly what you needed. Now you take this route again & don't even bother to get the problem resolved before posting pics that damage a comany's good name.

There's no reason...other than to show your ass!

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco

Can I just say really quickly, that I think it is TERRIBLE form on your part to go posting negative publicity pics of a part from a VERY reputable US owned & operated company that pays good quality wages to local people who depend on them to feed their families. One of whom is a good friend with a wife & kid to feed.

Why post this pic before you even bother to call or get a response by email? You're just damaging the reputation of an awesome company.

Your record right now is 2 threads doing damage to 2 wonderful US companies with passionate owners, one of whom has already personally went out of his way to directly respond to you and get you exactly what you needed. Now you take this route again & don't even bother to get the problem resolved before posting pics that damage a comany's good name.

I think you got me wrong on this one. I don't think this is I-9's fault. I'm sure it had something to do with fatigue or overtightening... something along those lines, I'm just not sure what. I was surprised to see them all shear right where they thread in and then not have any spokes on the other side mess up.

Also, any part can break and everyone seems to like a good carnage pic.

The Intense thread was entirely different. I waited patiently for several months before doing whatever I could to get my frame back. In the end they came through and made me a happy camper and supporter of Intense again. And once I got back on my bike it was hard to imagine considering buying anything other than an Intense.

You'll also see that I've given more praise and recommendation towards Intense and Industry 9 than any other brand out there. I love their products and still wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to others or buy either companies products again. If I'd had multiple failures with the I9 parts I would probably change my mind, but this is the first time that I've had any problems with them at all.

Last edited:

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA

I don't see him badmouthing I9 or saying their product is bad in anyway? In fact he admitted the wheelbuilder could have screwed up.

Am I wrong? Parts break. When they do, people post pics. It happens.

manwithgun

Monkey
Nov 4, 2004
I've seen a miss adjusted rear mech pop 5 I9 spokes without hesitation. That being said, some VPP set ups (M6) have pretty massive chain growth near bottom out. Any chance the chain might have been a link or two short?

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
I've seen a miss adjusted rear mech pop 5 I9 spokes without hesitation. That being said, some VPP set ups (M6) have pretty massive chain growth near bottom out. Any chance the chain might have been a link or two short?
I'll go check. The chain did break earlier that week while riding Whiteface, but I also went to a 21t cassette from my previous 32t so even after removing a couple links it should have been long enough... but I'll go remove the spring and see.

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006

Talk about a useless rant. The OP even mentioned getting different spokes to fix it. How is that bashing? The entire thread is more of a story as to what happened with no negativity. Not once did he bash I-9. He even mentions that the Mavic guy "may" have tensioned it wrong.

But I will say that I would not buy these wheels ever. Just too much $$ when there are hundreds of other combinations out there that work as good or better and you only have to spend $0.75 per spoke and they are available at 95% of bike shops. But to each their own.

I would like to know the outcome on this. Needing roughly 16-20 new spokes will run $160-200? Good luck to you. I will take my high end, hand-built, normal spoked wheelset all day at those prices..

BAXTER

Monkey
Jun 25, 2005
THE BURG but missing BOSTON
The spokes are the most expensive thing on those wheels. Call I9 and ask to speak to Jake and ask him. Your math is correct! Having worked in a machine shop and also as a frame builder I can tell you hubs are the easy thing to make.

Last edited:

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
wait a second... if they just gave way, why are so many of them bent almost at 90deg angles?? I can't imagine them doing that if they just sheared off, but it almost definitely looks like something got stuck in there. Any actual engineers able to verify this?
wheel was prob still moving. maybe they got sucked into the other side and bent. just guessing...but man, what a mess.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Bashing is posting pictures of FAILED parts without first contacting the manufacturer for resolution to the problem. The PICTURE is the damage to the reputation of the company without first making effort to go directly to the source. Just look at the "VIEWS" count of the thread versus posts. People open the thread, see the blow up and move on. Their only information about I9 is now a catastrophic failure.

Here is the way you handle things that is respectful and the right way. Monday morning you call I9 and tell them you emailed them the pic and want their opinion about what could have happened. Here's the REALLY hard part. You....wait....for them to call you back if they have to. The company gets back to you..runs scenarios, gets your parts info, maybe even finds out your mechanics specs from truing/tensioning and gets you an answer.

If I9 gives him the resolution I assume he would like, there is ZERO need to post any pics unless it's to say..."my i9 blew up because "X" happened and I9 did "Y" to resolve my problem. Then you say "yay" or "boo" depending on resolution.

By posting a pic b4 hand you do damage to someone who you haven't even given the opportunity to help you.

MTBracer

Monkey
Nov 19, 2007
Massachusetts
Umm....Bizutch....I'm one of those people that don't post much. But I do take the time to see what happens with said destroyed parts, BEFORE I make a conclusion about the company. So, not everyone just assumes that the company sucks at first glance......

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
Come on Butch, everyone expects for things to break every once in awhile. I'll be back here posting how soon I-9 returns my e-mail and how much the different replacement spokes are as soon as I get a response so that everyone else can get a little more knowledge about the company and if the spokes really cost $10-12 each or not. I'd be a bit floored by that to be honest. I expect them to be more expensive than a double butted steel spoke, and that the custom colors will be more expensive, but I-9 doesn't seem like the type of company to go ripping everyone off something fierce when they bust some spokes.

I'm not bashing I-9... I love their stuff, but hey... it broke. I'll post a pic any time I have a catastrophic failure just for others to see.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
While you've got a point, I can also say that ??? didn't come in bashing. You're right, people are going to see the pics and make assumptions. Even more so when the pics get pushed onto other sites. But thats the nature of the web i suppose.

You and I both know that the i9 stuff is spectacular, as does the guy witht he busted spokes. But it seems like he came in asking for help figuring out what happened, not bashing I9. The multiple pics can help people try and figure that out.

I9 for president.

Well, congress I guess.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Umm....Bizutch....I'm one of those people that don't post much. But I do take the time to see what happens with said destroyed parts, BEFORE I make a conclusion about the company. So, not everyone just assumes that the company sucks at first glance......
so based on that you believe NO negative press will have been generated by the posting of those pics without first seeking a resolution and only good things can come from him putting them online before calling?