Quantcast

Icycle 2009

brado1

Monkey
Jan 2, 2008
G'Vegas SC
thought i'd help WesD and Herndog out seeing at how i'm kinda responsible for the late start on getting the Website updated.... hopefully will be updated shortly...(i just do the art not the web guru-n-shiz)

Note for the XC Race some things have changed from Previous year's Used to be 12 noon was the start time with each class in 5 minute waves.

This Year:

racer meeting on the ballfield at 10:30am ALL RIDERS
Lemans Start:

Sport (M&W)- 11:00AM (2 Laps)
Big-Bike (10 inches total travel, flat pedals, and 35 lbs) (co-ed) -11:05AM (1 Lap)
Beginner (M&W)- 11:10AM (1 Lap)

break

Expert (M&W)- 1:00PM (3 Laps)
Single-Speed (co-ed) - 1:05PM (2 Laps)

Downhill no change from previous years - course will be open all day with shuttles to the top.

Jun 11, 2004
Damn...I was really hoping that the Icycle was in Feb. On 1/31 I'm pretty sure my house will be at Defcon 1.......baby boy should be arriving at any moment!

brado1

Monkey
Jan 2, 2008
G'Vegas SC
i asked him which even he'd rather do, Rays or Icycle, and he overwhelmingly chose rays. i think his finish line crash and wrist injury really messed with his head.

Given the choice, i'd choose Ray's as well - I can get blind drunk and ride anywhere :cheers:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Is the DH race one run? Do you get any shuttled practice? Is it worth a 12 hour drive?

The DH race is one run, but you get shuttled runs all day on Saturday and a few dark runs before the race. The course is straightfoward fast singletrack
up top, and pedally at the bottom. But racing it at night is damn thrilling.
The best part about this race is the atmosphere. After the DH race, they have the awards party with kegs and a DJ, and even all the XC guys stick around from racing that morning. Its a blast, but that drive is up to you.

mtbman1127

Monkey
Mar 10, 2008
Raleigh, NC
So i think i'm going do the XC and DH races this year...i know the DH is down turkey shoot but does anyone know exactly what the xc course is i would like to go pre ride it this weekend if i can

brado1

Monkey
Jan 2, 2008
G'Vegas SC

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
The DH race is one run, but you get shuttled runs all day on Saturday and a few dark runs before the race. The course is straightfoward fast singletrack
up top, and pedally at the bottom. But racing it at night is damn thrilling.
The best part about this race is the atmosphere. After the DH race, they have the awards party with kegs and a DJ, and even all the XC guys stick around from racing that morning. Its a blast, but that drive is up to you.
No doubt !!

I did it in '05 and it was a blast.

Gunnar75

Chimp
May 16, 2007
What type of lights do most people run? This will be my first Icycle and trying to figure out the lighting situation, 2 mini mags with duct tape rednecked engineered or run a night rider mini. Just trying to justify buying a trail light! Also, hows the big bike xc pretty strenuous? Who's in?
Thanks Guys,
Matt

mtbman1127

Monkey
Mar 10, 2008
Raleigh, NC
I think there is a light output minimum set by the organizers so (maybe 10watts?) i dont think your mini mags are going to cut it which sucks cause im in the same boat. I got my lbs to let me borrow some of their lights for the event so i would call all your friends before you spend that much on a light you will use once a year.

And one of my buddies is going do the big bike xc but idk about the course

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
The XC course is about the perfect one to do on a big bike.
The climbs are not too bad (unless the weather is jacked) and the best descent at Fontana is part of the xc course. I did it last year on an SX trail,
then did DH runs ALL day, and then raced the DH. My legs were fried during my race run, but it was a fun day of riding.

Gunnar75

Chimp
May 16, 2007
If I do it it'll be on my sx trail, you going to try and tackle it on your Demo? Anyways, hope to see everyone up there!

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
I think there is a light output minimum set by the organizers so (maybe 10watts?) i dont think your mini mags are going to cut it which sucks cause im in the same boat. I got my lbs to let me borrow some of their lights for the event so i would call all your friends before you spend that much on a light you will use once a year.

And one of my buddies is going do the big bike xc but idk about the course
yeah dont show up with a 6 volt lantern battery and an off-road light and try to jerry rig something at the top. You wont be able to see anything.

I do however recommend building your own light if you're only going to use it. I did it one year with excellent results. Will post a pic if i can find it.

Gunnar75

Chimp
May 16, 2007
So I guess fireflies in a mason jar won't work? I'm getting my buds light for the race. Thanks everyone!

herndon

Chimp
Feb 21, 2005
Just so you guys know there is a minimum light requirement. You can find all the info on our website at www.JandWevents.com. The weather looks good and the shuttle should be running pretty early in the day. A big thanks goes out to Morewood bikes for setting up the shuttle, everyone that gets on it should thank them for helping out. Looking forward to seeing everyone, and bring a friend, it should be a blast. Also there is a mandatory night practice run so make sure to be at the top for it at dark-thirty, if you don't get signed off you won't be able to do your race run. Christopher

brado1

Monkey
Jan 2, 2008
G'Vegas SC
Just so you guys know there is a minimum light requirement. You can find all the info on our website at www.JandWevents.com. The weather looks good and the shuttle should be running pretty early in the day. A big thanks goes out to Morewood bikes for setting up the shuttle, everyone that gets on it should thank them for helping out. Looking forward to seeing everyone, and bring a friend, it should be a blast. Also there is a mandatory night practice run so make sure to be at the top for it at dark-thirty, if you don't get signed off you won't be able to do your race run. Christopher
so that means us in the hardass class will be up at the top forever! how 'bout two fire barrels for the wait?

herndon

Chimp
Feb 21, 2005
You guys know that standing at the top freezing is one of the most fun parts. I will see what I can do on the burn barrels, no promises, but one of the more resonable request I think we have ever gotten. See you guys there.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
You guys know that standing at the top freezing is one of the most fun parts. I will see what I can do on the burn barrels, no promises, but one of the more resonable request I think we have ever gotten. See you guys there.

Uummm...I'm actually going to need a heated tent for my wait. :D

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
Aw, come on!
Nobody wants to talk about awesome the Icycle was this weekend.
The course was fun with the flats and uphills taken out.
Racing at night just downright rules.
I had to leave about an hour after my race run, and I was still hopped up from the race, I didn't even get sleepy on the 2 1/2 hour drive.
So, how was the afterparty and how bad did people embarass themselves with karaoke?

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Unfortunately they didn't have "A Whole New World" available for karaoke. :banned: If they did I would have won hands down. Instead, the guy that took his shirt off won. Bummer. No one really liked my Cyndi Lauper cover. :banghead:

Aside from that and my truly horrible race run, I had a freakin' blast. Practice was so fun.

Whomever stole the Morewood banner off the side of the hill should be truly ashamed of themselves. If you happen to read this, you should mail it back to them anonymously - those things probably aren't cheap.

SinatorJ

Monkey
Jul 9, 2002
AZ
I think that the coldest I have ever been was after driving my VW home in the cold with no heat after the race in 98

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
Wait, how'd the take out the climbs? Did they finish off right behind the cabins like they did 4-5 years ago?
It was the normal top section, and right when you jump down that chute into the natural berm bank thing, the trail made a sharp switchback to the right, and then another sweet left hander, into a off camber left that I am sure Herndon taped off, because it was a classic Norba Nat hold your line or you go through the tape deal, then a short sprint to the finish.
It was sweet.
Fast times were around the 1:30 mark.

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
Dern, missed a good one then. Without a throttle, my jellyroll *** can't get up a one degree incline right now. Oh well...