Quantcast

I'd like to re-introduce you to mid-coast Maine...

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
I posted this on MTBR. They have a pretty active regional forum. It deserves to be here as well, as the monkey is my home base.

I like to let people know about the good stuff happening in the mid-coast area. There have always been great trails in this area of the state. We are a little geographically isolated, so the word does not make it out that often. Riders in the area have began to organize, to preserve & legitimize what we have.

Recently formed is the Mid-Coast Maine chapter of NEMBA (McNemba). We now have official recognition by the Camden parks & rec dept (they own the Camden Snow Bowl), and the Coastal Mtns Land Trust (they are the local land conservation group, who own or have easements for many local land parcels). Both are supportive & enthusiastic about mtn biking.

Also we have secured an IMBA freeride grant. We are flying in Judd DeVall of Alpine Bike Parks LLC to help build a pump track & possibly other goodies @ the base of the Snow Bowl. Excavators and dirt are lined up to break ground next week.

Good things are on the way!

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
Anything going on in the Newport area? I assume its to far north and west for mcnemba
Newport is a little outside our range. There are a couple of guys from the Belfast area that have come down for our meetings and to ride. Town wise we are looking at Rockport, Rockland, Camden for the most part. The land trust covers a greater area than just these, so we'll see how far our reach is.

strangeland2

Monkey
Jul 11, 2007
masshole
Ooo camden only like an hour away. How hard was it to get the grant?

Yeah I know Im a bit vehicularly challenged though so I need to be able to pedal to the trails. All kinds of land in the newport area but Im not sure how much or if there is any mtb community in the area.

Runner

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
CT
Great, my grandpa lives up there (Rockport) and I visit him a few times a year :D

great news!, I can help you guys build/ride whenever I'm up there