Quantcast

Ideal amount of Suspension ?

njdeadhead

Monkey
May 16, 2007
This year is going to be the first time I am going to be riding at Diablo. What would be the ideal amount of Suspension one would need.

-Brian

njdeadhead

Monkey
May 16, 2007
So more of a DH rig and so much a SS rig then. O and by the way what part of Clifton do you live. I work in Clifton on willet st.

njdeadhead

Monkey
May 16, 2007
If I go with a DH Bike I am looking at the giant glory and if I go more SS then I will get the battery by mountain cycle. The only reason I would get the battery is I have a good friend that rides for them and will get the frame for a good deal. I would love to get the 2010 glory but don't know if I can hold out that long. This is way I was asking how much Suspension one would need. I should of gave more info on what I was looking for.

woof

Monkey
May 17, 2005
If I go with a DH Bike I am looking at the giant glory and if I go more SS then I will get the battery by mountain cycle. The only reason I would get the battery is I have a good friend that rides for them and will get the frame for a good deal. I would love to get the 2010 glory but don't know if I can hold out that long. This is way I was asking how much Suspension one would need. I should of gave more info on what I was looking for.
Giant Glory = Good Choice :monkeydance:

gfisher270

Monkey
Aug 23, 2008
NNJ
So more of a DH rig and so much a SS rig then. O and by the way what part of Clifton do you live. I work in Clifton on willet st.
Where do you work on Willet St? My dad owns a company that is located there he is in building D in the complex.

njdeadhead

Monkey
May 16, 2007
It is out of my friends house. We cut grass / trees and other things like that. Willet st is all homes. What type of complex dose he work in.

gfisher270

Monkey
Aug 23, 2008
NNJ
It is out of my friends house. We cut grass / trees and other things like that. Willet st is all homes. What type of complex dose he work in.
He works in passaic. but its right by the willet st. in clifton. y the big water tower by the food town place.

GreenSGSPRo

Chimp
Sep 23, 2007
got my new rig still waitin to buy the fork i want but its ready to go picked up a giant glory 1 gettin a fox 40 for it

njdeadhead

Monkey
May 16, 2007
That would of been fine in late 90's. LOL Did he just say monster t. That fork is as old as a GT Lobo.

GreenSGSPRo

Chimp
Sep 23, 2007
the bike ride very smooth i love it so far super plush compaired to my heap sgs lol that damn thing was like ridin a hardtail wit a little cushion altho it was 8 inchs in rear... but u would like the freeride modle its comfortable only 1 avaible at the time at my shop and end of year clearance made me get it for 2,800 out the door insteada 3,800

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
hey dude...you could pick up either a big travel bike or a medium. I'd say 7 might be ideal, but it all depends. Several trails are super rocky and 8-9" would be superb...but even more trails are relatively smooth and berm-filled, with smooth drops and jumps.

I'd say it depends on what you want. Are you purely going for speed, sacrificing air time and "flickability" or are you looking at purely having a good time and trying 360s over everything, even if it means slowing down when it gets really rough?

Other mountains are a little easier to choose...but diablo is fairly split.

njdeadhead

Monkey
May 16, 2007
I want it for more of the berm-filled, with smooth drops and jumps type trails. But will also like to hit some rocky ones but not all the time. I am not looking to race just have fun.

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
Generally speaking, a 6" or even 5" bike, given the right setup, will be more than enough for the groomed trails (and the trails you need to ride to get to the groomed trails). More than a few people ride bottlerockets and coilers and enduros there, they seem to do ok.

Only thing I can think of that might be kind of hairy is trying to get to the groomed part of asylum on a smaller bike. That rock garden at the beginning is doable, but intimidating (at least for a beginner like me).

Timekiller

Monkey
Oct 9, 2006
NJ
just my .02

I went from a 150mm to a 170mm and it was a major improvement. It allowed me to have more sloppy (forgiving) lines.

This season im at 7.8" rear 8" front

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
Geometry makes a big difference too. I went from a 6" bike to a 9.5" bike, and while I was expecting the rocky stuff to feel better, I wasn't expecting the dominions to be so much easier. High speeds just seem less scary when you're on a bike that's designed to handle them in a stable manner. I feel more comfortable going fast on my DH bike because it's way more stable than my other bike.

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
riding pretty much everything at diablo on a hard tail, its not really as bad as you would expect, not fun but possible. riding on a dh bike with 8'' is great dont get me wrong but you dont really need it, and it sucks unless you have a lift even pushing them sucks! if your not going to be riding full on down hill most of the time you can get away with 5-6'' bike with no problem, they are lighter and pedel better for the most part so you can ride in town (or up hills!) alot of people are starting ro race on 7 '' bikes also... i guess the choice is really up to the one riding but i wouldnt mind a 6'' bike

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
riding pretty much everything at diablo on a hard tail, its not really as bad as you would expect, not fun but possible. riding on a dh bike with 8'' is great dont get me wrong but you dont really need it, and it sucks unless you have a lift even pushing them sucks! if your not going to be riding full on down hill most of the time you can get away with 5-6'' bike with no problem, they are lighter and pedel better for the most part so you can ride in town (or up hills!) alot of people are starting ro race on 7 '' bikes also... i guess the choice is really up to the one riding but i wouldnt mind a 6'' bike
want mine?