Quantcast

Ideas for a PNW race series

wheelchaser

Chimp
Apr 11, 2005
Renton, Wa
Since I already let out my negativity:mad: it's time for some possitive:) . Lets here some ideas for a race series. Here are some of mine:

Instead of one group or person trying to do an entire series how about several groups or clubs each putting on one or two races that are part of a series. One member of each group or club sits on a competition committee that creats rules etc..

As for locations PA is an obviouse one. The Oregon crew might be interested (Hood). State DNR land is relatively easy to get a permit to have an event (Capital Forest, Reiter). Forest Service land is not out of the question just a little harder to get a permit. I have contact info for both of these groups and am familiar with the permitting process.

Will this type of structure work? Yes it already is, it is currently in use by the most persecuted user group that exists (not counting quads), the hated offroad motorcycle community has had great success using this model.

A club I belonged to put on about five events a year. Each event was part of a series. Our insurance costs for all five events was about $1200.

Don't think I know what I'm talking about? I don't blame you ( I often don't), just ask Rino he knows whats up. His club the Stump Jumpers put on great events and generate revenue numbers none of you would even come close to guessing.

One of the great things about this model is the money generated goes back into the riding community (clubs, groups).

There I did it multiple sentences without being a jerk.:mumble: Can you do the same?

knucklebutt

Chimp
Jan 20, 2004
If people are interested in a 4X/mountain cross series, we have three BMX tracks that are open to the idea. Thinking of a 4-5 race series.

Things to help this along:

- Dates (Late spring, early or late summer)that seem to work with the MTB crowd to optimize involvement.

- An idea how many that will ACTUALLY participate to see if pursuing this will be worth while.

I know it's not downhill, but racing is racing! :) Fun

Lumberjack can get his hands on some swag and I'm sure others will chip in as well.

This was done for XC last year....the indie series. From what I gather, it was a huge success.
Now you just need to find a handfull of DH race promoters....good luck. Also finding a DH venue is far more difficult than an XC venue.
I'm not trying to be negative, just realistic.

MotoXmg

Chimp
Mar 7, 2004
Hood River, Oregon
I might be able to come up with an option in Hood River. Our BMX track will be finished in the spring, so maybe a 4-cross and a freeride-inspired downhill on Post Canyon trails???

Feb 25, 2005
seattle, wa
I like the idea of the Indy Series (which I admitally don't know much about but the name sounds cool) but on the 4X tip. One of the big things holding me back from racing again is the up front cost of joining the ABA or NORBA. So I think that if the cost is kept down, then that would be great. Has any one aproached the Marymoore Park folks about building a 4X/BMX track? I remember about 20 years ago people tried getting a BMX track built there and they said that only non-profit activities were alowed there, but now there's a Subway sandwich stand there and also other random vendors too and you can't tell me that those are non-profit. Wheelchaser; if you're serious, I'll PM you my e-mail address.

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Eric Ewing threw this idea out there when I was talking to him last year. My understanding was it was his hope to revive the WIM Series in a different way, rather then having R&R do all of the races as they had in the past, have R&R just do the Spokane events, and other promoters put on several others state wide (Western Washington included) to rebuild a 8+ race series which had XC and DH.

I loved the idea at the time, I think it could do a lot for the race scene in WA especially Western Washington.

Here are the problems I see though. First off, as Psycho mentioned, this is easier to do with XC and has been done (indie series) not saying it can't be done with DH but it will be a heck of a battle.

We need more promoters willing to do this and support from the racing community. The support for the Broken Spoke was great this last year, I can't thank Lumberjack, The Speedy Beavers, Eric Ewing, and everyone else who helped out enough. You guys were great! Unfortunately though for me as the race director, I got a lot of flack, I knew I would and I can handle punkass kids who come swear at my face, etc and I did, it's just really overwhelming as a promoter to spend countless hours working on something like that and then have it bad mouthed, trashed, etc. I completely understand why Round and Round got out of the WIM series and MTB events, the flack they got had to just kill any desire they had to keep pushing forward on events.

What I am getting at is, yes a series like this would be great however a good number of folks on this board and in the racing community needs a smack upside the head. The negative crap kills the future of racing, and as we all know, appears to have done that for DH in WA this year. Be positive, offer comments not bitch sessions, when you see something you don't like try and offer a suggestion (well thought out with details) on how to remidy the problem. If you know of areas where the land managers are open to events, suggest them, help work with the promoters to get the details worked out. Lend a hand in ways other then offering to build/ride trail. So many volunteers will only help out on trail projects, which is not even 2% of putting an event on, without a location, permits, insurance, infrastructure, etc you don't have a course to work on. Put the tools down for a bit and help out with something else.

Racing isn't cheap either, everyone needs to realize it is a heck of a financial venture to take on, and a risky one at that. Racers whine about NORBA fees, well if it weren't for NORBA, racing would be $$ too to cover insurance. I honestly don't know how the Indie Series does it with just IMBA as their backing, I wouldn't doubt they have super weak insurance coverage. And sorry folks, good luck getting many people to go out and promote a race with little to no insurance coverage with all the sue happy parents/jerks out there.

Another issue with a series like this is the time commitment. For a series like this you are probably dealing with promoters who have full time jobs and other commitments who are doing this for fun on the side. If it were a business venture and promoters didn't have other time commitments they'd be in a position to put more energy into it.

This year will be rough for me, I'm graduating in June so my time until then is focused on school. After that I am heading back to Seattle and starting a full time career. Also, as I am sure any of you who have tried to promote events realize, it's hard to remember yourself in the whole picture. Last year my relationship with my family, loved ones and especially my girlfriend took a toll. Not to mention my health and overall wellness took a heck of a hit. The commitment to host an event is no small undertaking. This year my family and loved ones come first, myself behind that, school and my new career, and finally promoting.

To wrap it up, a series like this would be great. I can tell you just about everyone involved with the Broken Spoke would be up for working with other promoters to try and make this happen. Feel free to drop me an email if anyone is interested.

knucklebutt

Chimp
Jan 20, 2004
scottjustscott said:
but on the 4X tip. One of the big things holding me back from racing again is the up front cost of joining the ABA or NORBA. So I think that if the cost is kept down, then that would be great.
I hear you....not much I can do about the $45 ABA membership fee. It's the cost of playing I guess....believe me I understand, that is a day at whistler.

scottjustscott said:
Has any one aproached the Marymoore Park folks about building a 4X/BMX track? I remember about 20 years ago people tried getting a BMX track built there and they said that only non-profit activities were alowed there.....
Yes they have been aproached, two years ago if memory serves. They liked the idea, but like most things public, it will take someone very motivated to make it happen. They want a sactioning body to be involved to help with insurance and monitoring of the track. They will not just let you build it....It might be time for someone to get in contact with them. Sometimes fresh blood, and a different viewpoint can be the best thing to make things happen.

And for some non-relevant info, 99% of BMX tracks in operation today are non-profit.

Lumberjack

Monkey
Jan 24, 2003
PNW
The ABA is a little less expensive than NORBA and that gives us venues to ride before and after summer dh races. There are a few different licenses you have to have to race in Or., Wa and BC so racing does tend to get $$ even before entry fees and gas. If we could get a small mtx series run on the bmx tracks and PA I'ld support it any way I could.

Earthmover

Chimp
Feb 25, 2002
Terra Forma
I help run the Whidbey Mudder race every year, we were part of the Indie series last year. Unfortunately, there is no place on Whidbey to host a DH race, so we'll have to stick with XC. I do think that a DH version of the Indie series would be perfect for Washington, just needs some coordination between promoters. I've never felt that I was getting much for my $$ from NORBA, and keeping them out of the picture is my favorite part of the Indie series. Just for info, also, NORBA is not the end all of race insurance. We've always insured through the local Parks and Rec dept., so that's an option for others to consider. Also, to Pluto, Kevin and others who have promoted races in the past, Thank You. I for one appreciate what you've done. It's too bad that there are bad apples out there, but I think it comes with the territory. We get a few loud complainers every year, and that sucks, but for every one of them, think about those who had a great time, and let that carry you on to next year. I really don't want MTB racing to die in Washington, it's too much fun! If anyone can contribute, please do what you can. Also, I am constantly reading that land managment groups prefer to deal with organizations, and it seems to me that is what we (Washington cyclists of all disciplines) need to form a powerful group to represent us in a professional manner. Any thoughts??

holliswood

Monkey
Mar 16, 2004
University Place
MotoXmg said:
I might be able to come up with an option in Hood River. Our BMX track will be finished in the spring, so maybe a 4-cross and a freeride-inspired downhill on Post Canyon trails???

I am liking this guys idea! Some events at Post Canyon would rule. A little free ride, a little dh.

holliswood

Monkey
Mar 16, 2004
University Place
Does anyones grandpappy or family have some land wich they could let us build a course or two and have weekly or bi- weekly races. Private land might be one alternative as long as the land owner could work with a group or a person who could handle doing the events and also and most importantly get insurance to cover the promoter and the land owner. There are several series like this in Nor Cal and So Cal but the land is private and insured in case some goofball comes up short on a double and wants to blame someone rather than himself.

If we could get something like this rolling on a small scale and keep it grassroots like some other past events it would be KILLA!

Example:::::::Kevin (sasquatch) Ryans races, The Peaks series they used to hold, Jason (hunt to live, live to hunt) Mosely's PA events.
These guys have put on and are still putting on great events.
clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap!:thumb:

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Earthmover said:
Any thoughts??
Not sure who all the promoters are on here, I know there are a few of us. Maybe just all of us discsussing via email at first to see what everyones thoughts are on working together. Possibly putting together some type of PacNW Racing Committee, a board of promoters and riders working together to further racing in the region?

I'm just rattling off thoughts but meeting once a month type of thing, constant communication via email/phone/etc working together to share experiences with permiting, insurance, etc.

I'd be up for helping get a ball rolling with something like this, just want to know there is interest among promoters and riders.

So with that, anyone who would be interested email me matt@brokenspokefest.com and let me know what your thoughts are. If you'd be interested and what role you'd possibly be interested in. I can put together a quick email list and bounce some ideas off everyone.

MotoXmg

Chimp
Mar 7, 2004
Hood River, Oregon
holliswood said:
I am liking this guys idea! Some events at Post Canyon would rule. A little free ride, a little dh.
Let me know what you Monkeys think. If there is enough interest, I can start talking to Mountain View Cycles about a potential sponsorship, as well as hooking up with some manufacturers. I imagine it will take a while to plan.

Feb 25, 2005
seattle, wa
I seem to remember doing a XC series about 10 years ago down in the Black Diamind area that was on some private land. Anyone could race and you didn't need a NORBA license.

riverside73

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
mplutodh1 said:
Not sure who all the promoters are on here, I know there are a few of us. Maybe just all of us discsussing via email at first to see what everyones thoughts are on working together. Possibly putting together some type of PacNW Racing Committee, a board of promoters and riders working together to further racing in the region?

I'm just rattling off thoughts but meeting once a month type of thing, constant communication via email/phone/etc working together to share experiences with permiting, insurance, etc.

I'd be up for helping get a ball rolling with something like this, just want to know there is interest among promoters and riders.

So with that, anyone who would be interested email me matt@brokenspokefest.com and let me know what your thoughts are. If you'd be interested and what role you'd possibly be interested in. I can put together a quick email list and bounce some ideas off everyone.
While I am kind of out of the promoting business and into the timing business, I would stay involved with this any way that I could. I am going to have my hands full with the timing biz and my rugrats, but will definitely do what I can to help. I don't want to see MTB Racing die here either because if I ever get a weekend off...I might get to have some fun!!!

Matt, let me know what I can do!

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
SuperSlow said:
alleycat racing is an illegalish scavengerhunt type of racing al la bike messengers

http://www.digave.com/videos/

You could do something like this non sanctioned, week to week different location each week. 10$ entry pay 3 deep, all you need is a stop watch and 2 radios
But where? Stuff like this can get mountain bikers kicked off land if the land manager/owner finds out. All it takes is one incident.

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
SuperSlow said:
alleycat racing is an illegalish scavengerhunt type of racing al la bike messengers

http://www.digave.com/videos/

You could do something like this non sanctioned, week to week different location each week. 10$ entry pay 3 deep, all you need is a stop watch and 2 radios
This is exactly what we don't need. Talk about a black eye to the image. Doing this in the wrong place just one time could get all kinds of things shut down. Bad idea, I side with mplutodh1 on this. Please don't mention this again, others who hold the keys to let us on or lock us off land come to (sometimes) sites like this to kind of get an feel for what we are collectively up to. Image sometimes is everything.

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
Just a thought about the MC clubs out there. Maybe some of us on the different teams should talk with a few of the MC clubs. Find out how they do there event......planning, permission, insurance, support and inter club race series. Maybe, just an idea but maybe we do some support work at some of thier events and they help us with some of ours. Just a thought.......

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
I think we should just have skidding contests instead of racing. All you need is a parking lot, or sidewalk, a run in, and some speed.. oh and good brakes mixed with a little style.........

SuperSlow

Monkey
May 18, 2004
Bellingham
sounds great....

alley cat racing is only illegal because people are breaking traffic laws. Why not have a big group ride that is timed? If you think this is such a bad idea maybe you shouldnt be riding your bike where you are right? Hold keys? Dont be lazy ride to the top