Quantcast

if gas is so expensive, why

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
are there so many effing cars on the road? rush hour is so bad now, I have ten miles of parking lot in a bus before the congested section of road. Seriously it's faster to bike home than ride the express bus.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Cars suck, I'm busing it for a while.

There was a cool Modern Marvels last week on gas in Brazil. Not only are they running a lot of e85 (made from sugar), but every gas station is required to carry all types of fuel.

Jun 29, 2007
Alabama
Our traffic got worse and worse every year since I got my license. After Katrina it became unbearable. Our population grew by 90000 overnight and has stayed that way. Our city bus system is electric and propane on longer-range vehicles.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I think that is one of the reasons why it is so expensive. Everyone needs a 5 ton vehicle that can hold everything they own. Everyone only lives an hour away from work.

The dip**** I have to share an office with has been bitching up a storm about traffic and gas all week. 6 months ago he moved into a house that was 60 miles away because he could afford a 4000 sq foot house there instead of a 2200 ft^2 house locally.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I think that is one of the reasons why it is so expensive. Everyone needs a 5 ton vehicle that can hold everything they own. Everyone only lives an hour away from work.

The dip**** I have to share an office with has been bitching up a storm about traffic and gas all week. 6 months ago he moved into a house that was 60 miles away because he could afford a 4000 sq foot house there instead of a 2200 ft^2 house locally.
Sounds almost as bad as the jackass I worked with who lived less than a mile away, but he drove because he just bought a 350z. You could see his apartment from the office.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Becasue the home builders don't care - they just build more and more homes without caring if the city can handle it...

I think you can tell how well a city is run by the traffic, most of american cities are run by incompetant morons. But they are all rich...

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
Becasue the home builders don't care - they just build more and more homes without caring if the city can handle it...

I think you can tell how well a city is run by the traffic, most of american cities are run by incompetant morons. But they are all rich...
It's not the home builders responsibility. It's the planning department of the city/county that approves the development in the first place.

Blame your elected officials.

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
Where I am people can't afford housing near work(Aspen) so they all have to live further away, 30-50 miles. The one way traffic in the morning and afternoon is ridiculous.

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
Someone has to support these oil companies. The sooner we use all the oil up, the sooner we can use a cheaper resource.

Spero

ass rainbow
Jul 12, 2005
Tejas
I can agree with that to a certain extent. At least here, TxDoT has as much to do with traffic issues as the city does, so the problem is shared with the state.

We also do have a large housing surplus...I won't even start on that issue.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA

Without traffic my house is 20 minutes away. I specifically chose it so I wouldn't be commuting forever, and I could still bike commute I ended up with a 1500 SqFt house when people I know were buying 3000 SqFt houses twice or three times further away. I'm as close to downtown as I can get without living in a ghetto, and it still takes me an hour+ to drive, and hour to bike or an hour and a half by bus.

It drives me nuts to hear some guy at work with a lifted F350, that lives 60 miles from work complain about gas and traffic when he drives that behemoth, no passengers to work. He must burn 10-12 gallons of gas a day.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
are there so many effing cars on the road? rush hour is so bad now, I have ten miles of parking lot in a bus before the congested section of road. Seriously it's faster to bike home than ride the express bus.
I wish I was still riding to work! The freeway sucks bad, so I take Camelback into Scottsdale and it's a breeze despite the untimed stoplights. My Passat passenger door got smashed by a neighbor, so now I can be menacing towards all the Mercedes/BMW drivers and even started to slide into the lane of a Hummer the other day as a test only to make him frightened and slam on his brakes. I believe a latte got spilled!!!

:monkeydance:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
There are so many more people on the road nowadays, Alot due to just what others have said, People wanted bigger homes, out in teh countryside, so now they have a more expensive house, further away from work and wonder why there is so much traffic. Same thing happened here, Up in good ole Yucaipa, Used to be Us out here in the middle of nowhere, now People from down in LA area, Newport beach area ETC have moved up to our newly found "Hotspot to live" and even across town traffic sucks. Not to mention what its like heading westbound on the ten in the morning, then of coarse everyone is heading home at the same time as well. I am just glad i live about 5 miles from work, ride, either roadie, hardtail, dh, or the Moto, rarely drive a car to work. Hopefullly some day we can get a handle on this crap.

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
It's a known local statistic that if I drive an extra 20-40 miles a day, I can earn another 20% in income (per capita income in Charlotte much higher than where I'm at). not worth it to me. My commute is 10-12 minutes and I'm still spending about $40-50 a week in gas. I'm actually advocating for a greenway to make my commute via bike a lot safer - it's in the works. I plan on in the spring maybe driving 2 days a week, max.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
funny thing about gas prices around here......after prices went up (this was at the peak last year) a bond came on the ballot to provide funding for the bus system in town, if it didn't pass they would have to cut bus routes due to a lack of funding.....failed miserably, not even close to passing.

SVPPB

Monkey
May 13, 2007
I drive my truck once a week, if that. Its a 2006 Tacoma, gets about 24mpg, and I find that offensive.

My commute is about 15 miles, takes me about 35 minutes in the morning. My motorcycle gets 42mpg, which I feel better about. I can go all week back and forth to work for $9 in gas.

That's the only upside to the south I can find thus far. I can ride year round down here, as opposed to Norfolk where riding my motorcycle was almost like playing Russian Roulette.

I still think we start hitting oil executives, make the insane profits have a very personal and visceral cost to each of them.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
I had to laugh today, with how high patrol prices are I see Britain is threatening sanctions on the Iranian oil industry!:shocked:
Watch the fuel prices go thru the roof if that happens folks! :clapping::disgust1:

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
It's not the home builders responsibility. It's the planning department of the city/county that approves the development in the first place.

Blame your elected officials.
It's not their fault either. Cheap fuel prices helped create the 'exurb', where westy's knob coworker moved, by reducing the related transportation costs. High fuel prices have tarnished these developments and consequently impacted the housing market. There were loads of contractors from outlying areas working in what have historically been locally serviced communities this season.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
I am actually debating on getting a larger trailer since i am full timing it next years and living out of the rig all summer

Hows the 6.4 powerstroke treating you? My brothers 6.0 is a pos but I like the truck itself. I've got a 360hp duramax 2500hd chevy (work truck, haters).

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
i live about 3/4mile from work, i specifically bought a small house close so i would never have to drive to work. now i have a 4-5minute bike to work and some all-weather riding gear for the sloppy days, +fenders = me pretty dry, i need some better shoes though...my etnies get soaked...

i used to rent 10 min walk from work...for about 2yrs i drove to work 3 times but never drove home, i was taking the car in to get worked on and my wife picked it up.

its a sacrifice though cause my house is only just over 1000sqft
could have gone 2x's that but 35miles out...i hate commuting and i go home for lunch

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
...i go home for lunch

That right there saves so much money and you can eat very well. I love being able to go home for lunch.

My summer commute to work is almost non-existent. I walk out the door and I am there. It is nice living on the property I build on. If it was not for this I would not have taken this job, housing is so damn expensive here $1300avg a month for a tiny 1 bedroom apartment:twitch:. For the winter I am looking at a 30 mile drive to the ski resort I will be instructing at. At least I will be going the opposite direction of traffic.