Quantcast

If I'm going to get run over, it's NOT going to be by a chick on a Harley

[rant]

IAB and I are road riding today and of course over my left shoulder I hear the RUMBLE of those freakin loud a$$ motorcycles. The guy was in the front with a stuffed "hog" tied to the back of his. The "woman" was behind him on her bike (neither of which were wearing helmets).

The guy takes a right hand turn, turning about 10 feet infront of me and his friend there decided to also turn, this time 2 feet in front of me. If I had maintained my speed, I would have hit her. RIGHT as she was infront of me, I screamed "HEY!" Apparently it spooked her and her bike started to waiver.... no, she didn't go down. She then screamed some obcenity at me as though I did something wrong. All I could picture was those signs on big trucks that say "this vehicle makes wide turns" and shows a car getting crushed by a truck turning to the right.

IAB and I screamed back and kept going.

WTF???

[/rant]

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
You should have ran into her gently and then sued her ass :)

Unless they looked like the kind of people who had all their assets tied up in their motorcycles...

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
So she quickly passed you to take the right and darted right in front of you? If so that sucks, basically the reason why i don't like road riding. Scary enough to just drive around in these parts.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
As often as I see those broken down on the side of the highway, I am surprised they don't have their own support vehicle.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Considering the numb-nutz who are riding those things around, what'd you expect?

Edit: you gotta wonder about the sanity of Harley owners as you can get twice the bike at 1/2 the cost w/ say a Yami or a Kawi, or even a Honda. Yeah, it's not made in US. But all that means is you won't be broken down on the side of the road...lol!

Pau11y said:
Considering the numb-nutz who are riding those things around, what'd you expect?

Edit: you gotta wonder about the sanity of Harley owners as you can get twice the bike at 1/2 the cost w/ say a Yami or a Kawi, or even a Honda. Yeah, it's not made in US. But all that means is you won't be broken down on the side of the road...lol!
Point of order:

Most Hogley Dogleysons do not qualify as motorcycles. They're a fat-assed expression of costume jewelry.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
next time stick your fist out to catch any motorcyclists that venture too close :D

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
MtnBikerChk said:
I screamed "HEY!" Apparently it spooked her and her bike started to waiver.... no, she didn't go down.
hahahaahahaha! Awesome!

Too bad she didn't go down :devil:

I had a close call this weekend that was similar in the "waiver" aspect... Coming down a mt. in a 30mph zone, I was on my buddy's tail who hugs the outside line and we were doing 30-35. Normally, When I'm doing that that speed, I take the hole lane but I didn't cuz it was really cold and I was letting him eat the wind, yes, I'm a pvssy.

A car passed us and his/her mirror came within an inch of hitting my handlebars... going down might've meant going off the mt into a 500' deep valley.

I was so pissed that my yell of "WTF?" reverberated shocking my buddy and riders a good distance behind me. Obviously the driver heard this Lion's Roar (see Kung Fu Hustle :D) and I'm sure saw me I was so pissed that I hammered after them and they went off into the dirt shoulder and wobbled back onto the road.

My buddy, who's the easiest going person in the world and never gets upset at anything, asked me to describe the vehicle so we could look for it further down the road.

Remember kids, always take the lane cuz there are a LOT more people out there who'll "accidentally" run you off the road if you give them the room versus the few you'll hit you on purpose.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
johnbryanpeters said:
Point of order:

Most Hogley Dogleysons do not qualify as motorcycles. They're a fat-assed expression of costume jewelry.
hehe :D

My definition of an absolute poseur: someone who drives a bike.

And there are a lot of "motorcyclists" out there who have no clue how to ride.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Cars do it as well. I can't count the number of times I've been coming up to a right hand turn where I hear someone who can't make it and doesn't realize how fast I'm going gun it to try to get a head of me.

Aren't we allowed to pepper spray people who do that, or something?

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
I had a car do that last week...but this dumb lady completely stopped right in front of me!! (she was half in the road & half off)
if I didnt slam on my brakes I would have slammed into the passagenger door of her car

:mumble:

splat

Nam I am
LordOpie said:
Remember kids, always take the lane cuz there are a LOT more people out there who'll "accidentally" run you off the road if you give them the room versus the few you'll hit you on purpose.
Bingo , so True!

and what really sucks is the Bozo, who , just has to get past you , endagers every one to pass you , then pulls in front of me and hit s the brakes , because they can't go down the hill as fast as I can ! I then go out of my way to re-pass them! ( and usually the car in front of them too :D )

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
stevew said:
As often as I see those broken down on the side of the highway, I am surprised they don't have their own support vehicle.
Totally useless and off topic Harley story.

Back when I rode a motorycycle I was filling my beat up old Yamaha at a gas station and some dude on a Harley gave me a bit of a ribbing for riding a "jap" bike. He seemed to be done filling his bike and was just waiting there. I asked him if he was waiting for someone and he sheepishly admitted his 3 month old bike wouldn't start and was waiting for a ride. I took a quick look at his bike and it seemed the starter broken. I told him he could easily jump start the bike by rolling it down the slight incline in the gas station. He did and rode away. Moral of the story: smart people don't buy motorcycles from t-shirt companies.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
I really miss commuting to work on my bike, but I sure don't miss all the thrown bottles, swerving teenagers, cell/makeup/stereo bimbos, general 'tards unfit to drive an ox cart(much less a car) and other hazards of riding a bike anywhere near a public road. Mark off one of your nine lives and carry on even more cautiously.

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
That sucks MBC! There are some morons out there and I am glad you two are ok.

I had a ride a while ago that descended down a canyon and we hit 57mph in a 35mph zone. I was in the center of the lane and suddenly I hear this crazy sound over the rushing wind sound! I couldn't figure out what it was, I checked my brakes, checked my tires, gears everything as I was still going fast...before I had to make evasive action! Well it turns out as I peeked behind me that a car is about 6 feet off my rear tire and LAYING on the horn. I did nothing, didn't pull over, didn't do anything just continued going 20mph over the speed limit down the canyon. This Woman desides it is a good plan to pass me on a left turn without a whole lotta visability. Then she pulled up behind my friend I was riding with and did the same thing. When she finially got passed us we were into the 20mph area with WINDY turns and we could now keep up. She pushed it to try to get away and finially could when we got to the straighter secton.

On the same ride we came down a smaller descent going about 40 and a guy cut us off at the bottom, max speed...I skidded my rear tire for probably 20+feet and still almost hit the guy, and my friend.

I love people...especially mountain people...they are unique.

The thing is - I never really felt like I was going to hit her - I don't ride fast enough to not be able to stop - and I just KNEW she was going to do that so I was ready. but i definitely was going to hit her if I had kept pedaling.

I'm still so pissed I feel like going to the street she turned down to see if I can find the motorcycles - maybe knock them over like cows in the night!

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
Some English Harley bashing I saw on the BBC show "Man Child" a couple of years ago:

"Ya know what we call them in the shop? 'Hardly Able-tos' "

My favorite new rider ona bike story: Some years ago I was doing a road ride in Western Philly 'burbs (big $$$) and we were sitting at a stop sign as a couple on a pair of bikes mae a left turn in front of us (we were stopped, no big deal...). Anyway, the lady on the bike gets "object-fixation", panics and rides directly into a telephone pole on the side of the road. She was ok, but spooked, and they left the bike there and she got on his bike and they left...
Oops.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Ugh...glad to hear y'all're alright...I could just imagine what this woman looked like...it's gotta be one of the two following descriptions:

Old war horse lookin skinny broad with a long braid, no bra, saggy ass tits, leathery skin, one of those tank tops thats got lace trim in turquoise or some other 80's color...

-OR-

Big fat broad with a triple roll gut, mirrored sunglasses, leather chaps and frizzy hair braided in one long plait down her double roll back with the mullet part hanging out...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
dh girlie said:
<snip>
Big fat broad with a triple roll gut, mirrored sunglasses, leather chaps and frizzy hair braided in one long plait down her double roll back with the mullet part hanging out...
Out here alot of Harley chicks seem to be small, attractive blonde women who seem like they should be driving an Escalade, not a Harley. Of course, their Escalade is probably in the garage. :D

-S.S.-

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
During a post MTB ride meal with Chickenhawk and T-Dog at a bikerish bare in Ojai a couple on a Hardly pulled up in full leather. The chick on the back was carrying a black studded leather bag that had the panting head of some yappy lap dog sticking out. I wanted to laugh, cry and beat them up all at the same time.

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
thats exactally how i crashed my bike riding home from work last summer. replace douche on harley with douche in suv. they turned in front of me, i hit brakes, i went OTB. sprained wrist, rash and a busted helmet later made me think twice about gearing the bike up for commuter duties this spring :/

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
LordOpie said:
Where was this?
That all happened on a loop through old stage and Lefthand canyon. We climbed Old stage, descended down to the backside of lefthand. Climbed the back of lefthand and when we started the first descent there is a rise with a right turn, that is where we were cut off, then when we came down the very front of lefthand, right before the windy section and the stop sign where she cut us off.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
I feel your pain.... stupid stuff like that happens all the time in NYC esp cabbies. It definatly makes me a more aware person.. i am constantly looking around esp for turniong vechiles.. today there was a van stuck in traffic due to some road work. it should have been single-file of cars which would have left plenty of space on the side for me to go around. But no, he has to pull over to the right to see if he can squeeze by a few cars and get further up in traffic.. all to go nowhere, except cut me off. i stopped at the light with him and said.. hey pal... any reason you need to take up the shoulder..and the lane... and a typical brooklyn , A$$hole response ... go F-- myself....

so them I called him a fat bastard and told him he should go kill himself... i felt a little better

vtrider

Monkey
Apr 11, 2005
vermont
hooples3 said:
so them I called him a fat bastard and told him he should go kill himself... i felt a little better
hahah

Ive had that problem in vermont too. I was driving my truck (chevy silverado 2500 chassy on a 1500 hd quad cab body, a pretty good sized truck), and doing about 70 in a 50, and this asshat tailgated me in a honda civic, layin on the horn. So, as it was starting to get dark, i hit the high beams, which makes it look like my brakelights went on. Hondaman flipped out, slammed on the brakes, squealed and skidded, and i chuckled.

Ive also been hit by a car. We were riding through town, and after town there was this bridge, and as i was crossing it doing about 30, this huge hummer comes across, through the red light (its a one lane bridge), and i slammed on my brakes, still got hit by the grill, and went under the car. The lady freaked out.
Luckily i was fine. Stupid tourists. :mumble:

flatulant_man

Monkey
Jun 19, 2004
Food Fondlers' Convention
my mom had a similar experience, back in the day. she was riding in town and was taking a straight bit pretty fast. a van full of teenage girls pulled out at a stopsign in front of her, intending to take a left like ten feet in front of her. they saw her coming, panicked, slammed on the brakes, and my mom had only one option: lay it down and slide under them. pretty damn badly cracked her pelvis on the bottom edge of the van.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Westy said:
Totally useless and off topic Harley story.

...Moral of the story: smart people don't buy motorcycles from t-shirt companies.
Nice :thumb:

Westy said:
During a post MTB ride meal with Chickenhawk and T-Dog at a bikerish bare in Ojai a couple on a Hardly pulled up in full leather. The chick on the back was carrying a black studded leather bag that had the panting head of some yappy lap dog sticking out. I wanted to laugh, cry and beat them up all at the same time.
Nice :thumb:

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
douglas said:
I had a car do that last week...but this dumb lady completely stopped right in front of me!! (she was half in the road & half off)
if I didnt slam on my brakes I would have slammed into the passagenger door of her car

:mumble:

If your on a mountain bike you should have rammed it just hard enough to dent it nicely I mean it would be worth the money to build your self a new wheel...

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
LordOpie said:
hehe :D

And there are a lot of "motorcyclists" out there who have no clue how to ride.
plenty of people on pedal bikes as well..... :monkey: